Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples train station-the good, the bad, the ugly

Aug 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

We are taking the train from Rome to Naples and then have a driver to Positano. My husband-who travels EVERY week for his job-is the worst over packer EVER!
Can you tell me what we are in for "stair wise" at the train station? All I have heard is "lots" of stairs. Can anyone be more specific on how many and how long of a walk it is to the exit? We are taking the high speed train.
Thanks so much!
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:50 AM
GAC

There are no stairs whatsoever. You get off the train from Rome, walk through the main atrium of the station, out the front entrance doors, and meet your driver outside. Just make sure that the train you take from Rome goes to "Napoli Centrale".

If you were connecting to the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento (which you are not), you would need to take the stairs or the escalator down to underground levels to reach the departure platforms.
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM

some trains may go to Naples Garibaldi, which i believe is just under Naples Centrale or at least adjacent to it?
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
ira

Hi ib,

You have to use stairs only if you come into Naples Garibaldi, which is on the basement level.

Aug 20th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I am so glad I asked-Napoli Centrale it is! Thanks!

I'm assuming I have a choice?...
Aug 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Yes most rome-naples high-speed trains do go (about twice hourly i think) to Centrale, on top of Garibaldi
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:11 AM

But what other stations will you be using on this trip? Every other one I can think of has lots and lots of stairs! So many stairs that even one 21" roller seems like a lot to lug.

Pack light!
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

I think that Rome to Naples and back will be it. I am leaning toward taking a cab from the airport into Rome. We will be staying in Rome and then on to Positano and Capri and flying home from Rome.
I will pack light-it is my crazy husband. He is not a complainer and will NEVER admit I am right about his packing habits. He will suffer in silence-unlike I would!!
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:22 AM

I wish someone would ask about the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento so I could tell my pick pocket story. But no use worrying Italybound09 about that.
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Colduphere, I'll bite, please share your story.
Aug 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Thanks Joannyc

Okay it is not much of a story but it was fascinating to watch these pickpockets at work. We took the train five times. On three occasions we watched the same woman walking through the train car carrying a baby asking for money. No big deal. On the second and third trips we noticed her shady looking male companion standing at the end of the car directing her on who to approach, and on one occasion, when to race off the train car ... baby shaking violently as she ran.

We also noticed that she was followed down the aisle by another person who would check everyone on the train car just as a flight attendant checks to see if passengers are wearing their seat belts. He would go up and down the aisle several times looking for loose possessions. It was so blatant it was almost funny. I can't be certain he was working with the couple/baby.

We never felt threatened. But you do have to be aware of your possessions.
Aug 20th, 2009, 08:41 AM

the U.S. State Department has had in the past special warnings about the CircumVesuviana train theives - once when i was riding it a couple of drug addict types were shooting up in their rear of one car.

Yet many folks here dismiss this and say these trains are not unsafe, etc. And if you know the problem, theft, then you will have no problem - if you are a naive duck then you will be plucked perhaps
Aug 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Is that the train you take to Pompeii?
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Yes to the Pompeii Scavi (archaelogical site) station but you can take mainline Trenitalia trains direct to Pompeii's town center about a mile away (the 'new' modern Pompeii) direct from Rome i believe and then walk, bus or cab it to the ruins.
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM

PQ - Was that late at night? I've been on the CV many times alone, but not late at night.The guy at my hotel last fall that was pickpocketed, was picked in the Naples train station, not on a train. I don't think there are any more pickpockets on the CV than on the trains/metros in Rome/Barcelona/Madrid/London/Paris etc. When DD lived in Madrid, she watched the same pickpockets work the subway every day. The police were quite aware of who they were, but did nothing.
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
GAC

You do have to be very careful when riding on buses and trains in heavily trafficked tourist areas of Italy such as Rome, Vatical City, Naples and elsewhere. There is a pickpocket danger, but usually never a risk of physical harm. Most of the physical harm to tourists occurs on the streets of Naples, when purse snatchers cause women to fall to the ground and injure themselves.
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Hopefully the situation in Naples will improve because they now have former pickpockets, etc located around town to advise tourists on what to look out for. Hopefully these reformed street criminals are not casing tourists to tell their colleagues who to target for the most gains. this story is for real - yup former street criminals now on the pay of the city to warn tourists - actually could be a pretty neat program - win, win except for the casing possibility?

And a dear friend of mine was bloodied and bruised on the streets of Madrid, far worse IME than any street in Naples for being not only pickpocketed but there yes downright mugged (like GAC says muggings would be rare in Italy and i agree IMO) - but anyway this slight gal was wearing a day pack and the thief would have been happy to just snatch it off her - in hopes it contained valuables - and my friend would have loved to give it to the thug as it had nothing of value in it - but she could not get it off and the thug could not either a struggle ensued - gal friend trying to get the pack off to let the crook take it and crook trying to get it off in expectations of riches.

Tip - do not wear an exposed money neck pouch or day pack on your bag in dicey areas. I often will take my day pack off and carry it in such areas - if a thieve wants it he can easily get it - no struggle.