Train from Prague to Krakow advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any information on the trains between Prague and Krakow? Specifically the schedule and price. And is it possible to take a train from Ceske Krumlov to Krakow or would I have to return to Prague first?
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:14 AM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas cook Eurooean Timetable. Table 95 has your trains
Prague Hlavni 2112, 3 berth single sex sleepers and 6 berth couchettes, Krakow Glowna 0536
Prague Hlavni 0803, Prerov 1145 to 1150, restaurant car until 1320, Krakow Glowna 1557
Prague Hlavni 1105, restaurant car train, Prerov Katowice 1726 to 1818Krakow Glowna 1929
Prague Hlavni 1305, restaurant car train, Ostrava 1736 to 1754, restaurant car train, Katowice 1926 to 1947, Krakow Glowna 2101

You can have a full night if you take a sleeper or couchette Prague Hlvni 2112, Warsaw Central 0700 to 0800, breakfast on the train, Krakow 1040. To travel overnight in seats cars is dangerous, as the trains have travelling thieves, whereas couchette and sleeper compartments have locks and bolts (and are cheap and give a good night). You can see Ausschwitz on the way if you travel Prague Hlavni 0803, Prerov 1145 to 1150, restaurant car until 1320, Oswiecim (Ausschwitz) 1440, bus or walk to the camp, leave 1740, no catering, Krakow Glowna about 1940.

The two main stations at Prague and Krakow have pickpockets in gangs of three, who crowd you and take valuables. Before I walk in either station I put my rail ticket, a credit card, and some cash in a front pocket or in top of my sock, and all other valuables into a packet well down in my biggest bag: I take these out in my compartment or at my hotel reception.

In January the basic second class fare from Budapest to Warsaw was 66 euros, so Prague to Krakow will be about 60 euros. To that you add a euro for express train travel by day, about 10 euros for a couchette supplement, or 40 euros sleeper supplement. Until mid December you can book day trains on the day of travel or a day before, and night berths two days or a day before travel. You can do this in any large station on the Continent, or at the easternmost ticket window of Charing Ctoss station in London, or on-line with agents that I can list to you if you tell me where you are now.

I am afraid the route from Cesky Krumlov to Krakow lies via Prague. Either a bus to Florenc bus station, over to Hlavni staation, and on, or a bus to Ceske Budovice, cross under the road to the railway station, two hours to Prague Hlavni, and then on. You can set times using http://www.vlak-bus.cz, then English. For a smooth journey I should go overnight. Sundays apart you can travel CK, bus, 1730, Prague Smichov station 2020 to 2032, train, Prague Hlavni pick up a packed supper and a beer, 2039 to 2123, sleeper. Fare from CK to Prague 140 crowns.

Please write if I can help further

[email protected]

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:54 PM

I took that train, I believe it was the second in Ben's list -- I got into Krakow around 5 pm (we were delayed about an hour due to a rail problem). The train was great, very comfortable and a pleasant trip. I don't remember it being as expensive as he is listing, but perhaps I am forgetting. I took first class the entire way and think the whole trip was less than 60 euro in that class, but maybe not. I just know it is very cheap for that long a trip.

I don't know why you couldn't take the train from Cesky Krumlov without going back to Prague. CK to Brno or Prerov is much longer than many people realize -- those are not small countries, (CR and Poland), so you can't easy do it on the same day given how it takes to get to where you can pick up the train to Krakow. It is possible, though, I think.

YOu'd have to take the train from CK to Ceske Budejovice (or bus or cab, whatever) and these go all the time and last about an hour's trip. From Ceske Budejovice, you can get a train to Brno and from Brno to Prerov where the train to Krakow goes through. The schedules are fairly convenient.

Daily, there is a train CBudejovice to Brno at 5:20 am which would actually get you there in time to do this as a one-day trip (get in brno at 9:38 and Brno-Prerov 9:53-11:44 then catch the train to krakow). However, that is such a long trip, about 4-6 hrs from CB to Brno, that I'd probably do it the day before and stay in Brno one day. Then you can catch that 9:53 train in the morning easily.

There are trains CBud. to Brno at 8:27 am-1:07 pm and 2:25 pm-6:47 pm from the Czech rail website where I saw all these schedules. I thought it was possible from the rail lines.

If I'm offbase, perhaps Ben can explain why this isn't possible as I know he knows a lot about trains in this area. I would rather do that and see a little of another town than go all the way up to Prague and back down.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:55 PM

unless the schedule I saw for Budejovice involves going all the way up to Prague and back, I never thought of that but it is a long trip.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the replys I think we are considering the night train with a sleeper. Now all I have to do is nail down my itinerary!