Prague to Poland

Search

Prague to Poland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague to Poland

wondering what might be the best way to do about a 5 day trip to Poland from Prague return to Prague in July, ..heading up Aushwitz? not interested in driving...could be anywhere from doing our own thing, travel by train ...what places would be recommended to stay on the way..or do a reasonably priced ground tour with a tourbus company. any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 02:17 PM

You can take a train either in the daytime though it is a long fairly boring ride IME or the overnight train - save on the cost of a hotel and time too - that is to Krakow - a super fine city from which Auchswitz is an easy day trip by train or bus.

Krakow has lots to see and do - like the Wieliczka Salt Mine, a UNESCO World Heritage site just a few miles from town.

5 days may be a bit too much for Krakow for some (but not all - this is IME Poland's finest city by far) - you could scoot up to Warsaw and for a day or two and return to Prague from there by train.

For lots on trains in these places check out IMO these fine sources - www.seat61.com' www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com. For schedules the German Railways online schedule site is to me the best for getting schedules of any European train (www.bah.de/en.)
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM

I love Poland. I did that and went from Prague up to Dresden by train, spent a few days, then took the train over the German/Polish border (at Gorlitz, as I recall) down to Wroclaw. Spent about 3 days there and then down to Krakow. That was a great trip.

There isn't really a good direct train route from Prague to Poland, which is why I added things to it.

I've done it the other way, also -- took the train from Prague south to Moravia, spent a couple days in Olomouc, then took the train over to Krakow from there. That was a good trip also but I like both the CR and Poland.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 02:59 PM

oh, I know my suggestions don't work exactly if you want to go over to Poland, do something and get back to Prague, all in 5 days. That's a tall order.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 05:09 PM

If you take a train in the daytime it will be 2 days travel between Prague and Krakow, only leaving 3 days in Krakow. You could easily fill 5 days there. Taking night trains between Prague and Krakow will allow you more sightseeing time.

I can't recommend any places to stop between these two cities. The most logical town would be Brno but I was not enthused with Brno and don't think it's worth a stop.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 04:02 AM

If you take a train in the daytime it will be 2 days travel between Prague and Krakow, only leaving 3 days in Krakow.>

No it takes 7 hours and that is about most of one day not two.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 04:09 AM

Pal - once again, you did not read what was written. It takes most of a day to take the train from Prague to Krakow and most of a day to take the train from Krakow to Prague - that's 2 days

The fastest daytime train is 7 hours and 45 minutes, not 7 hours. And you can't just twitch your nose and get to and from the train stations on each end. Plus you need to pack and unpack and check in and out of hotels.

My math adds up to 2 days of travel out of the 5 day trip.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 07:00 AM

I understood that was 2 travel days if you are returning, also, I agree with that. If you just have 5 days total and want to spend 2 travel days, I agree that just going to one place would be best -- and I do really like Krakow. My trips would be better if you had at least a week.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM

yes adrienne I was remiss in not noting they would also return to Prague - the Krakow is the perfect place for 3 days (or 5 days in doing night trains though some folk cannot sleep on night trains.
sorry for the mistake.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 03:42 PM

<i>Prague to Poland
Posted by: CaronJones on Nov 24, 13 at 6:10pm
wondering what might be the best way to do about a 5 day trip to Poland from Prague return to Prague in July</i>

The "best way" is always subjective. It depends on your wallet and attitude. I have made this trip by night train and recommend that. See http://tinyurl.com/y57vft for an introduction to traveling by overnight train.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM

We just spent four days in Krakow and could have spent another. We loved it. We did overnight trains to Krakow from Prague and it was great.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:48 PM

re Aushwitz, we just got a day trip when we were there. We looked at the cost etc of doing it ourselves by train etc but doing the bus tour (small bus) was easier and not much more overall in cost.

I think it is something that everyone should do. As much as I thought I knew about the subject, I certainly learned so much more. An emotional but highly recommended tour IMO.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Live42day, I spent 4+ days in Krakow and certainly could have spent more. Our journey was opposite (Krakow to Prague), but we too took an overnight train, which was pleasant and easy. There was a recent thread about the train, cost, compartments vs. Sleeper cars, etc., so do a search for more info.

We also booked a private tour to Auschwitz while in Krakow. This was a deeply haunting trip but a bit weird to see all the tourists, some of whom clearly had little interest or understanding of the site. Anyway, for me it was important to go and I am glad I did.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest it was weird to see tourists at Auschwitz, rather that it was weird to see those who seemed less than somber there. Might just be me, though.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 11:27 PM

You can book the Prague to Krakow overnight train from just €49 with bed in a 2-bed sleeper at www.cd.cz/eshop and print your own ticket.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 10:38 AM

A couple of years ago I took the train from Prague to Krakow, long boring trip but well worth the time as Krakow is a great city to visit.
Private tour to Auschwitz is recommended highly as is the trip to the salt mines outside Krakow.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Private tour to Auschwitz is recommended highly>

not disputing that but I think one should also allow for free time to explore these two sobering places (Auschwitz and Birkenau - Birkenau a few miles away the more sobering as here you see the train platforms where arrivees were split into work groups and those who wnet straight away to the gas chambers, whose remains are still there)

time to contemplate it all in silence - not sure private tours from Krakow would allow for this or not. You can get tours on site as well from the welcome office.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Took private tour out of Krakow and had "free" time to ourself both at Auschwitz AND Birkenau
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 09:31 PM

my two cents worth. The small bus tour we did (and I hate bus tours) gave us enough time to see what we wanted at both locations.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 05:20 AM

a bus tour is certainly more efficient than going on your own - the two camps being about two miles apart and a few miles from the Krakow train station or bus depot - local buses to each but takes a lot of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -