Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help needed for Krakow/Prague/Munich trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my friend are planning a trip around Europe over the summer. We've so far booked a flight to Krakow and a flight back to Berlin.
Basically we want to go to Krakow, Prague, Berlin and Munich. However, we're thinking of stopping between Krakow and Prague but we're not sure where to stop, any ideas about a good place inbetween Krakow and Prague?
We generally don't mind where, just whatever the cheapest train is but I'm having problems finding out. Any good train websites you'd recommend?
Thank-you!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM

You can use this web site for train schedules. You should buy your Krakow to Prague ticket when you arrive in Krakow. Polish trains are very inexpensive and take a long time to get anywhere.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

I would not go to a place simply because the train ticket is cheap. Wouldn't you rather go to a town that is pretty or has some sightseeing?

Some nice and interesting towns are:
Telc
Trebic
Cesky Krumlov
Kutna Hora

If you're traveling within Germany by train it's better to book ahead to get the least expensive rates.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM

I have read good reports on Olomouc, which is between Krakow and Prague. We are planning on an overnight there in September. If you search for Olomouc, you'll read some of the reports.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Ah ok, thank-you!! Yeah we're going to Cesky Krumlov whilst we're in Prague, apparently it's meant to be really good there.
Yeah we do want to go somewhere nice but as it's an extra stop and we're on a budget we don't want it to be too pricey. I'll look up those places though
Thanks for you help!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:11 AM

We were going to stay in Olomouc between Prague and Krakow. There are some inexpensive places to stay there and it's a college town I think...sounded interesting. HOWEVER we were so exhausted after Prague that we called Olomouc and cancelled our hotel...and we took a very long train ride from Prague all the way to Krakow. AND IT WAS GREAT! It was very relaxing. However I must admit we took the 1st class train car, which wasn't crowded at all, so that made it relaxing. I took a walk through some of the other train cars which weren't 1st class and some of them were very crowded and the passengers didn't look too relaxed...