Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Companies that rent Barcelona apartments and take credit cards?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to rent an apartment for a 5 night stay in Barcelona at the end of October. Most of the online agaencies will allow you to make a reservation with a credit card, but want payment in cash. They also want a big cash security deposit, to be refunded upon leaving the apartment in good condition. Coming from the US, I do not want to have to carry that much cash with me nor have so many euros to take back when leaving Spain. Do any of these rental companies allow full payment with a credit card?

Also, what neighborhood would be good for a couple in their 50's? Quiet and safe are important. We want to be able to walk at night to restaurants. We can take the metro during the day to get to the sights we want to see. It was suggested that Eixample area might be good for us. Any others? Our budget for the apartment is 100-110 euros per night.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM

My husband & I have just rented an apt in Eixample area,
owner takes "paypal"

Check it out - mention my name

The remaining balance is 187 EUR that you can pay with cash when you
arrive at the apartment, or with PayPal at any time before you arrive.
this is a quote who they want to be paid.

e-mail - [email protected]
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Can I suggest you're asking the wrong question?

Few flats in continental European cities are rented out by companies: you're almost always dealing with private owners renting out their own main place, or a flat they've bought to let out for pin money. If you find an exception, you're probably losing most of the charm, and you really might as well google Apartotel companies like Citadines. Which, for many people, is actually what they want anyway.

So:
1. You're just not going to find a "company" that rents: you're going to find agencies that reflect owners' individual preferences
2. Few European private landlords see the point of paying a credit card commission - or going through the palaver of setting up a credit card merchant account.

Apart from Citadine-like operations, when in Rome, finding unRoman behaviour is going to be time-consuming. Your real choice is accepting how things are mostly done (and get the cash out of an ATM), ot ploughing your way through every ad and see if they'll do it your way.

Since most of their customers, even (or especially) in a recession are other Europeans who don't see the point of keeping Mastercard rich either, you may find tracking down someone who shares your affection for throwing money at banks will prove tough.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Homelidays is a website that we have used successfully, both as an owner for our two shared french properties, and as a renter for apartments in Paris. As with vrbo, Homelidays is the mechanism to find properties, all arrangements are with the owners. I just took a quick look, searching under 'Barcelona' and found more than 300 properties listed. Of course the search needs to be refined according to number of people, preferred location, price etc. Many will take stays of less then a week. Payment arrangements will vary but, as Flanneruk says, most owners will be looking for balance in cash.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Habitat Apartments in Barcelona take credit card payments when you meet them at the apartment you have reserved online. They also do not charge cleaning fee. Just checked my email confirmation with them and they do charge a 4% fee for using a credit card. Still a very good deal compared to most hotel rooms.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

I realize after doing more research that I will probably have to pay cash. I can get the money from an ATM, but I'll be stuck with a pile of it to take back to the US when the deposit is returned to me in cash. If one lives in Europe, this is no problem. But Americans lose so much exchanging back to dollars. I could keep it for my next trip to Europe, but don't know when that might be. Of course, depending on the exchange rate it might turn out to be a good investment.

I did find some people on VRBO that use paypal. I found two very interesting listings:

VRBO 23937,
http://www.barcelonabestlodge.com/index.htm
VRBO 30675, Negre Apartments

Anyone have experience/dealings with either of these?

taniaroth:
Which apartment did you rent? Wht's the web site?

Susie
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Habitat did not ask for a deposit .

I don't really see the point in demanding it ( and then returning it) - they have your CC number anyway.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM

We recently rented an apartment from this agency and they took credit cards.

http://www.destinationbcn.com/

I think you might be hard pressed to find somewhere quiet in central Barcelona. We stayed on the edge of Eixample. I am always a little surprised when people want to stay centrally in a big city and expect quiet. Generally the two don´t go together.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Mike123-
I looked at desigbarcelona.com. The fine print says they want cash when you show up. Did you make special arrangements with them to put it all on your credit card?
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 09:47 AM

topping any other ideas.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM

We rented an apartment in Lisbon with www.rent4days.com but they also have listings in Barcelona.

The reservation was by credit card. And the balance was in cash upon arival. Our credit card was taken for a security deposit. So we did not have to contend with a return of the security when we left.

One nice thing about this company is that they have a very liberal refund policy. That is the one thing about only having to pay the balance upon arrival.

I have rented apartments that require Paypal. But then again there is a service charge and most require all of the balance paid before you arrive.

You might ask them if you can pay to reserve and one or two days before you arrive use your credit card for the balance. But when looking for private apartments, most require cash.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Our experience with Habitat was the same as mentioned above; no security deposit and no cleaning fee. We paid cash. But, as macdogmom said, they will take a credit card for a 4% fee, probably less than you'll lose converting your deposit back to dollars.

The reason we went with Habitat in the first place was that I'd seen so many good recommendations of them here. And we too were very happy with them.

http://habitatapartments.com/
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:42 AM

We found the last apartment we booked in Barcelona here:

http://www.rentalr.com/rent-apartments/spain/barcelona/

they accept credit card payment