Train from CDG to Paris

Search

Train from CDG to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from CDG to Paris

Hello all. I understand that the RER B that goes into Paris from CDG is having some service interruptions and so I'm wondering if I just just take a taxi or if anyone knows if the interruptions are fairly minor. It has been a while and so any tips on getting the tickets also would be appreciated. I assume we can buy them at the station or should we purchase ahead on line? Merci!
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mikmilone
Hello all. I understand that the RER B that goes into Paris from CDG is having some service interruptions and so I'm wondering if I just take a taxi or if anyone knows if the interruptions are fairly minor. It has been a while and so any tips on getting the tickets also would be appreciated. I assume we can buy them at the station, or should we purchase ahead online? Merci!
No need to buy ahead of time. Make sure you land on time & have your bags. Can purchase using the app or at a kiosk.

Was there last month, and decided to take a taxi (there was a fairly long line at the taxi stand), but we had large luggage, which can be a pain on the train.
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Note the flat rate from CDG to Paris right bank destinations is €55; left bank, €62.

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...de-gaulle/taxi
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 02:21 AM

If I have a carry-on I always take the RER, unless my hotel was awkward to get to. I always get a ticket on arrival. With large or heavy suitcases, take a taxi particularly if it is peak time or you can’t take it up steps.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 06:54 AM

Here's a useful link showing all the public transport from CDG to Paris with their destinations. I personally like the Roissy Bus that goes to Opera if I have the time-no underground to deal with in terms of stairs, etc. and they handle the luggage. But my choice also depends on where I need to go in Paris. Lately we have been lucky to stay at a friend's place in the 16th, so with the fixed rate taxi fares I have been taking those more often. Luckily the line usually moves pretty fast.

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...blic-transport
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 05:39 PM

Don't bother with the train
Save some stress and take the taxi with settled fees.
Different size of cabs are available right outside the airport, there s a guy outside he will pick the right car for the size of your luggages.

​​
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 05:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The train is stress free for most people.

Last edited by Moderator1; Aug 20th, 2023 at 07:32 PM. Reason: removed off-topic proselytizing
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 01:52 AM

You can also get a coach to Montparnasse if you are staying there. Much better than the train as you always seem to walk miles + steps to get out from the station.
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 02:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by uktravelover
You can also get a coach to Montparnasse if you are staying there. Much better than the train as you always seem to walk miles + steps to get out from the station.
Would you mind elaborating a bit about the coach to Montparnasse? I'd been planning to take the RER and connect to the #4 Metro to get to Vavin station but wonder if there's a better way?
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 06:52 AM

Here is a link about the "OAS" bus that goes from CDG to Montparnasse. I used to think of that as the Air France coaches and wasn't even sure they still had that line, so maybe someone who is more current can tell you if this information is still correct?

This shows the 4 routes 18 euros one way to Montparnasse on Route 4

https://www.about-paris.com/le-bus-d...-to-paris.html

And this link shows the detail about the route to Montparnasse

https://www.about-paris.com/le-bus-c...tparnasse.html

Old Aug 21st, 2023, 07:36 AM

Apparently, le bus direct is no longer available.

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass.../le-bus-direct
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 02:57 PM

That airport bus stopped running years ago, I think at beginning of Covid. I used it a lot and don't really understand why they have not restarted service, there are other airport busses still running to Opera and from Orly to Denfert rer stop.
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 03:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Shame that the direct bus option came and went before I was able to get back to the thread. lol Thanks for the advice and updates.

On the other hand, one of the links followed through to a clear map which showed we could keep going on that RER B line to the Denfert stop. From there, seems we're only two stops away from Edgar Quinet station, which is right at the other end of "our" street.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by mikmilone
Hello all. I understand that the RER B that goes into Paris from CDG is having some service interruptions and so I'm wondering if I just just take a taxi or if anyone knows if the interruptions are fairly minor. It has been a while and so any tips on getting the tickets also would be appreciated. I assume we can buy them at the station or should we purchase ahead on line? Merci!
you are probably alluding to the disruptions caused by the works for CDG Express.
I would advise everyone considering to ride RER B to check the Twitter account. It will give you information on planned works as well as real time information on disruptions. Whenever possible, try to avoid rush hours, the RER can get very crowded.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 07:51 AM

But at any time of day, you will never have a problem getting a seat on the RER since the starting point is CDG. Rouelan may be wondering if you are feisty enough to get off at your stop. If it is Gare du Nord, about half of the other passengers will be getting off with you so no problem.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 11:02 PM

Obviously, you will always a seat from CDG to Paris, and keep it till Paris, especially if you bury your face in your smartphone, pretending not to see that middle aged lady standing in the aisle. Paris to CDG in late afternoon is another story.
And if you have baggage, the RER has no space at all for it (better to forget the silly small space near the door, an invitation for bag snatchers). It used to be possible to fit bags under the seat or in overhead racks. For dubious reasons, it is no more possible (I suspect that the lobby for CDG Express did its best efforts to convince that the RER was not suitable for travellers). So the only remaining options are to use another seat or put it in the aisle. Which are not the best ways to make friends in a crowded train.
Old Sep 29th, 2023, 09:37 AM

You must be quite young, Rouelan. The storage space under the seats was blocked about 40 years ago when terrorist bombs went off under the seats.
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 07:57 AM

I don't think readers are interested in my age.
to elaborate on RER, the general policy, in case of disruption, is to give priority to suburban commuters. Because they will complain to the local mayors who will complain to the upper level (region, sncf...).
for example, during peak hours, trains are usually delayed and travel time is increased because of congested tracks. To reduce time interval between trains or because of limits for drivers duty time, ops control will decide to shorten some northbound train routings, CDG1 terminus instead of CDG2, sometimes even before CDG terminating Parc Expositions or Aulnay. Meaning passengers are offloaded enroute. In most cases, they are advised to wait for the next train same platform, saving some sweat with bagages but it is not always the case.
As a commuter and traveler, my 1st option is however RER but I always check twice beforehand for planned works and disruptions. If I snif problems, I will opt for another option ( delay departure time to CDG , Roissybus, local bus... )
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 08:16 AM

No guarantee of a seat on RER-B. The closer the trains comes to central Paris, the more the customers are crammed shoulder to shoulder. I rode it several times in July, at different hours and it varied from crowded to sardine can. At the airport you may catch a seat but you soon will be surrounded by commuters struggling across your baggage.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 08:44 AM

Are you travelling with steamer trunks, Southam?