Tracking Flights when Aircraft are switched by carrier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In June 13 i was delayed at Gatwick on a Thomas Cook flight to Turkey. The Aircraft we were to fly on came in from Turkey and was subsequently used on another previously delayed Filight to the States - they had been waiting due to their Aircraft having a"fault" we inherited that Aircraft , it couldnt be fixed and we were all split on to two seperate smaller flights. Flight Number remained the same. Although we were told by TC staff this was the case i would like concrete evidence to back our in progress claoim. Have involved CAA could they show that our flight came in from Turkey then flew on to Sanford (Orlando) USA?
Or am i wasting my time?
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 02:38 AM

Look at FlightAware.com. The following may be wrong in detail but is correct in general.

You can search for your flight, and it will show you a graphic of the route and where the flight currently is or it's timing if the flight is completed.

At the bottom of the page, there will be a listing of recent performance for that flight, including the aircraft used. You may have to glide over or click to get to this listing. If you find the flight you are looking for, do a screen print for your claim.

If your flight was more than X days ago, where X is a number I don't know, this information will be behind a pay wall, and you will have to join FlightAware to get it.

Having said that, I think you are wasting your time. June 13 is a very long time ago for pursuing a claim, and I am not sure what your claim would be. In general, one is not guaranteed to be carried in a particular aircraft so long as the carrier gets you to your destination within XX hours of the normal time.

I would be surprised if you could claim compensation for being forced to fly separately, especially at this late date, unless you were on your honeymoon or something similar, and any compensation you might get would be in the form of travel vouchers. You might get cash if you missed a day/night of your holiday because of the delays. But I gather that you are in the UK, and your regulations/practices might be different to ours in the US, and the rules for charters may be different to those for scheduled flights.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 07:19 AM

You are wasting your time. A claim for what? It's up to the airline how they manage their aircraft esp in the situation where another aircraft had a technical issue and they used yours instead. Perhaps your original aircraft was the only one that could do a journey across the Atlantic and your flight, being short, could be split across 2 smaller aircraft. What was the impact of being split over 2 flights?
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 07:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What are you trying to claim? They put you on a plane and got you to your destination. Case closed I'd think . .
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 08:00 AM

I don't think you have a claim under EU rules, even if your flight was very delayed, since it was not the airlines fault. Planes breakdown, and are changed on routes all the time.
I hope you enjoyed your time in Turkey.