Flight cancellation--what to expect

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're scheduled to fly to Paris Tuesday and I'm wondering when we'll find out our flight has been cancelled. I've been monitoring the US Air flight status site and notice cancellation notices aren't posted on-line until hours before the flight--I'm thinking we'll be at the airport by then. Would be a waste to drive to the airport only to find out our flight is cancelled--of course I will call before we leave but what if??? When an airline cancels a flight is a full refund an option or does it depend on circumstance, carrier, etc.? Any thoughts, advice, experience?
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 04:10 AM
J62

US Air has posted their policy online.

http://www.usairways.com/TravelCenter/Advisories.aspx.

If you flight is canceled the airline will put you on the next available flight or offer you a full refund. If flights are still canceled as of Tuesday you should not expect to find an available flight for at least a few days, perhaps even a week or more.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, J62. I wondered about the full refund; our expectations for getting to Paris are pretty low at this point.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Can you imagine how many people are waiting for seats on flights? AnnMarie I know what the posted advisory says but USAIR might give you that refund now because they have thousands of Europeans stranded here who are begging for your seat(if it leaves at all).

Id at least call..
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 05:48 AM

And plan on a long hold time.
This is just a mess..

I feel bad for everyone affected. Actually watching the news today I started thinking about back up plans for my late May trip should they be needed!
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Great advice, thank you. I won't wait until Tuesday to call.

CarolA, I feel bad, too. We would gladly give up our seats for anyone trying to get home--I can't begin to imagine the nightmare people are going through right now. I hope your trip works out.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:15 AM

My husband was booked on a flight from Frankfurt home to the US tomorrow. Yesterday morning, the flight was still a go, but by late afternoon, it had been cancelled. The earliest flight I was able to re-book him on is on Wednesday. He's not amused, his office won't be happy, but there's nothing to be done.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM

We were to leave for Paris on Thursday...with another couple...now we don't know what will happen. I think maybe it will be next Friday before we go.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM
P_M

Keep in mind there are a lot of people who were supposed to go days ago and they will be waiting their turn for an open seat. Planes will be jam packed for the next couple of weeks due to this backlog. And God forbid that volcano could start up again while you are over there. Of course there are worse things in life than being stuck in Paris. But your extended vacation could get very expensive, depending on when Mother Nature decided to put a cork in it.

I wish you all the best of luck.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM

As P_M points out there are now a LOT of folks disrupted by this.

When the planes get jam packed so do the check in lines, security lines etc... allow extra time!
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Some airlines are trying to get you over to Europe, as long as you're flexible, like not minding where in Europe you're getting to.

For example, while Continental cancelled most flights to Europe tonite, they are flying one 767-400 plus one 767-200 to Lisbon (regular schedule, only one 757-200). So, that's 409 seats vs 175 seats. And for Madrid, they're flying THREE 767-400s with total of 705 seats, vs originally scheduled two 757-200s for 350 seats.

Now, how are you getting to your destination from Lisbon or Madrid is your problem, of course.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM

rkkwan, I am trying to help my SIL find a way to get from Portgual to the US. Are my eyes deceiving me, or are there actual flights departing from Lisbon to Newark?
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM

AnnMarie, I hope you are able to make it to Paris.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM

I, personally, would take advantage of any opportunity for a full refund and reschedule the trip. I'd rather do this to sit on the edge of my seat have to constantly make adjustments to hotel reservations and refigure everything.

And, as mentioned above, more could happen once you're there, making it impossible/difficult to get home and very expensive to cover a delay.

But, one can only wonder how losses the airlines are experiencing will impact future fares...
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 02:58 AM

But...

more could happen on any day you are in Europe. I know people who were trapped by the 9/11 disaster. I know people who have been trapped by all kinds of things. I have a friend whose 2 daughters left Tuesday night for a 10 day trip in Italy with thier school (getting home could be fun)

So... there are no gurantees when you "reschedule"

For those of you trying to get too or from... They NY Times has an interactive map showing open and closed airports that they seem to update.

You can find it in this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/wo.../19ash.html?hp
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks, it's not fun. Yesterday, I decided to cancel our hotel in Paris because they require a three day advance notice for cancellation or be charged a two night stay. Train tickets require three days notice for a full, less 5% handling fee, refund. I will call the airline today--if I knew for certain we could get a full refund I would take it and move on to Plan B.

STW, thank you. This morning I read the volcano is spewing boulders and glass--incredible. I hope your SIL makes it home soon.

I know others are in far dire situations so my disappointment pales. We were going to Paris to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary--I think the situation is a metaphor for our life not being perfect, unpredictable, or, something along those lines!
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:40 AM

LIS and MAD are not being affected by the ash at all. All regularly scheduled flights are flying, and as I mention, at least Continental is adding capacity to those cities.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:05 AM
P_M

In other words rkkwan, if one is stuck in Europe they should do the following:

Take the train to Spain as the ash rain will not affect the plane.

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:09 AM

The problem is that buses and trains to the south are all full. Maybe one can try driving.

I'm just checking on the seatmap on today's CO65 from LIS. It actually has a few empty seats. So do the two flights from MAD.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

lol, P_M!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -