Search

Touring Mallorca in September - Help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touring Mallorca in September - Help needed

Hi
My partner and I are going to Mallorca in September. We want to stay two weeks at a single location and then have days out by car. We do not want a 'touristy' resort but would like to be near the coast. We like small finca/country hotels but want to be able to walk at night to good restaurants and a few bars (Spanish not British!). We recently toured Northern Spain which was one of the best holidays we have ever had and now wnat to do the same in Mallorca to see all the 'off the beaten track' places. Any suggestions as to location, hotels, restaurants would be good. At the moment I am looking around Pollensa, Santanyi, Deia etc. We love good food and wine, cheap and expensive and like to eat local cuisine, seafood etc.
Mnay thanks and hopeful for lots of replies!!
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Hi there,

I would definitely reccommend Soller. This place has the feel of a real (still gorgeous) mallorcan town. We loved it. We travelled to Pollensa Deia etc etc and were so happy we were in Soller. Deia is lovely but tiny tiny, probably only 1 bar. Soller has two bits to it, the port and the village. We stayed in the village (/town) and really loved it, loads of restaurants and loads of day trip options. Honestly google image it, it is lovely. We stayed at Casa Bourgainvillea, which is ran by an english couple but really is very very nice. (there' quite a lot of reviews on tripadvisor for it).

Pollensa was nice too but must more touristy. We also went in September.
Have a lovely time

(incedently where was your northern spai holiday...always looking for new ideas)
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:53 AM

oh here is my tripadvisor review for the B&B

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...c_Islands.html

and of of a lovey restaurant

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...c_Islands.html
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:57 AM

oh and one last thing...it says i visited in march but only as i left it too late to review, the month/year i went option was not there. We went 2 years ago and really look back on the trip fondly. Palma is also a very nice place for a day trip, it quite impressed us.

It is still quite hot in september by the way. We had perfect weather practically the whole time.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, soller is lovely but it's quite touristy too, at least during the day.

but that really applies to virtually the whole of Mallorca, i think, especially the coast.

not wanting to dissuade you from going though.

Here's a link to a very good book that should help with your planning:

http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/mallorca.htm
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi - thanks for tips, I will have a look at Soller area. The northern Spain holiday was fantastic, we stayed in six different places, all amazing over two weeks. Flew to Santander, hired a car but dropped car off and flew back from Santiago. Weather was great, only a few drops of rain returning from Picos. Even went on the beach in Sanxenxo. Food amazing especially seafood. Itinery as follows:-
2 nights Mies de Villa at Somo, Santander
3 nights Agriturimo Maddiola, San Sebastian
2 nights Hotel del oso, Picos
2 nights Casa Donano, Ribadeo
3 nights Hotal Rotillo, Sanxenxo
3 nights Casas de Bachao, Nr Santiago de Compostela
Let me know if you need anymore info on the above - thoroughly recommended!!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Hi there, wow you did see a fair few places- thanks for the breakdown- i hear great things about san sebastian so may look into there..

Did you have any luck finalising your mallorca plans?
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi, yes I have now booked the first week in Porreres and the second week at Fornalutz so we are very close to Soller for restaurants etc as well as Deia for 2nd week. The other one sounds good and we are near some good beaches at the other end of the island.

Have just booked 5 days in Loire valley (Chinon)in May so busy looking for good restaurants!

Thank you for help and recommendations