Cornwell - September

Jul 1st, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Cornwell - September

We are planning a 4 day trip to Cornwell early September. Particularly interested in the rugged coast, coves etc. We would like to stay in inns or pubs close to the water in 4 different places. Small villages fishing etc rather than larger towns. We will have a car.
We thought we would just stick to the coast roads where possible.

Any suggestions where to stay?

Would we have to book a room?

Thanks

Lyn

Jul 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, Cornwall.
Jul 1st, 2005, 06:36 PM

We have stayed in Mevagissey on the south coast, and Perranporth on the north coast. Our rooms were booked ahead, but I don't have the names right now. I'll look for them later, though.

Perranporth was a bit too quiet and unequipped for any tourists at all. Couldn't really find a meal in the town; I think I saw a Chinese restaurant but I can't remember.

Mevagissey was more fun. It was small, but had lots of places to eat, and plenty of places to stay.

THere are a couple of West Country lodging websites out there. I haven't been in England for a few years, and I wonder if the Smoothhound website is still around. It was such a good one for finding lodgings. Oh, here you go:

http://www.smoothound.co.uk/

and here is where we stayed just outside of Mevagissey

http://www.bestloved.com/hotel/hotel...England-UK.htm
Jul 1st, 2005, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for finding those sites for me, I have a better idea now looking at them.

Lyn

Jul 2nd, 2005, 02:41 AM

We always stay in St Ives. it is not a small fishing village. it is charming but i think you are looking for something smaller. therefore, i can only offer general advice.

yes, you should book ahead. most likely you are talking about a small B&Bs or inns. by their nature, they should always be booked ahead.

why stay in 4 different places on a 4 day trip? aside from the hassle of moving around, you may encounter minimum stays of two nights on the weekends in early sept - not high season any longer, but still a popular time to visit cornwall.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:58 AM

Staying 4 places in 4 nights is nuts. You can get to any part of Cornwall (and Devon for that matter) from any other part of Cornwall. Just pick ONE lovely B&B - there are hundreds and hundreds to choose from - and use it as a base for touring around.

Packing/unpacking, checking in/out, findinhg the next place will eat up hours of your limited time
Jul 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM

Take a look at Boscastle on the north Cornish coast - it is a delightful fishing village. It was struck by a freak flashflood last August and has recently re-opened. There is a tourist information centre in the carpark at the bottom of the hill, and they have details of lots of B&B's, inns, hotels in the area. It is well worth a visit, with it's enclosed harbour and steep valleys leading down. It's one of my favourite places in the world.

Tintagel is a few miles down the coast road , and Bude a few miles north. There is great surfing around there on the Atlantic coast.

A google search using the words tourist information and the name of the town or village brings up lots of answers to look at.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM

I'd second Boscastle. Once you walk through the village and follow the paths to the cliffs, there are some spectacular views.

Other places I'd recommend:
- Port Isaac, a small fishing village. Feels very secluded. The fishermen pull their boats right up on the shingle (I think that's the right word?).
- Porthleven - not much for shops, but two pubs and great walks. Small harbour with fishing boats. Two good pubs: The Ship or Harbour Inn.
- St. Mawes - a bit bigger village, but I could sit all day near the water and watch the boats coming into harbour, or walk around the hills. Pub with good meals: The Victory Inn.
- Portloe - again, secluded with tiniest fishing harbor. Great pub - The Old Ship.

I'm not a fan of St. Ives. And as walkinaround says, it certainly isn't a village. I also agree that you might reconsider staying in four different places. Pick one and explore from there. And be warned that the small roads can sometimes be a challenge.

Cornwall in September is one of my favourite times of year. You'll love it.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 11:02 AM

I have two suggestions.

The first will cost nothing. The AA site (http://www.theaa.com/index.html)
has many BnBs reviewed by area.

The second is to get a copy of "The Best Bed and Breakfast" which you can find discounted at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

We have used the latter book many times and never been disappointed in our choices.

BTW, the Globe Pequot Press (www.globe-pequot.com) publishes a book of Cornwall coastal walks.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM

Oops... as a Cornwall lover I got excited and totally missed that you were thinking of staying in different places. My advice: don't do it! One is enough, two at the most. And if two, pick two completely opposite ends of the region; maybe one at the southern tip and one perhaps on the Devon coast.

rickmay's suggestions remind me of my last trip. We based just outside Mevagissey and explored many places mentioned in his post. It was a great trip, as was our other. Now, I want to go next September. Can't be this one: daughter getting married and killing the budget.