Reload this Page >

Towns central for sightseeing in Devon and Cornwall

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:35 PM
Adrian

My wife and I will be in Devon and Cornwall during Late September, early October, and are thinking of staying in self contained accommodation for one week in each. Can anyone recommend towns that are central for sightseeing, or would it be more advantageous to move around using b&b and hotels? What are the 'must sees' in these regions; both of us love walking, experiencing the history of the UK, photographing some of the wonderful architecture and visiting gardens.<BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:04 PM
janis

renting cottages is definitely the way to go. It is so much more restful having a "home" to return to each night. Plus you will have washer/dryers and won't have to pack and move every day or two. Both counties are pretty compact - Devon is actually the more diverse of the two and will entail more distances. <BR><BR>Most of Cornwall is on the coast and devon has a LOT of interest inland such as Dartmoor and Exeter.<BR><BR>You could stay anywhere but my recommendations in Cornwall are somewhere near Penzance/Marazion, St Ives/Hayle, or along St Austell Bay. I love St Ives - but a place on Mounts Bay (east of Penzance) would overlook St Michaels Mount.<BR><BR>For Devon somewhere along the south coast between Plymouth and Salcombe or deep in Dartmoor would be my choices. Near Plymouth, there are several tiny villages west of Kingsbridge around Hope Cove that have self catering properties. In or near Dartmoor good places include Bovey Tracey, Buckfastleigh, Widecombe-in-the-Moor etc. You will be seeing LOTS of ocean/coast/beaches no matter where you stay - but Dartmoor is really beautiful and an entirely different experience.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Ruth

I agree with Janis' suggestions - exactly right! <BR><BR>Here are my recommendations for Cornwall.<BR><BR>The north coast is more rugged, the south more gentle. Most of the gardens face the south coast. Try to take a walk along part of the north coast path - spectacular cliffs, waves, beaches, etc.<BR><BR>As far as gardens go - I really enjoyed the Eden project (near St Austell). It got very crowded last summer, but you will be visiting after the schools go back, so should be OK. Maybe avoid weekends even so. But there are many other gardens - Trelissick and Trengwainton for example. Also, St Michael's Mount is great.<BR><BR>You might also have time for a day trip to the Scilly Isles, with the "tropical" garden of Tresco.<BR><BR>If you are near Land's End, a visit to the Minack theatre is good. Land's End itself - some people say it's become too much like a theme park (I've not visited since one had to pay). There are plenty of other places you can walk along the cliffs for free! <BR><BR>There are plenty of National Trust houses to visit (check their website). Tintagel is very popular - don't spend long in the village which is the tackiest place in Cornwall imo, the ruined castle is what you should see. <BR><BR>Padstow and Port Isaac are both nice places to visit on the north coast. Book well in advance if you want to eat at Rick Stein's seafood restaurant. But there are plenty of other places to eat in Padstow. Avoid Newquay (sorry, citizens of Newquay) unless you are into surfing, amusement arcades, discos. It has a good aquarium though, and very good beaches. St Ives is lovely.<BR><BR>Anyway, I'm off to Cornwall soon myself - can't wait!!!

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 12:51 AM
too

I disagree with the week long rentals, you are restricted by it, if you decide you want to move on, you have to do your own housework, fix your own breakfast ,when I vacation that's exactly what I don't want to do. Then some things are just too far away and you spend time on the road backtracking the same areas to get back to your rental. I'd do B&B's or small country hotels, you'll meet more people and have more time to enjoy the countryside, and be able to go further afield

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 02:08 AM
andrew

Adrian - I think you are going to love your time in Cornwall and Devon and to spend a week in each is an excellent idea. <BR><BR>Cornwall is rugged and exhilirating in the champagne like Atlantic sea air on the north coast and soft and wooded and dotted with sailing boats at the start of the English channel on the south side.<BR><BR>Devon is a picture postcard of beautiful rolling green countryside, thatched cottages and brooding Dartmoor dominating the centre of the county<BR><BR>Janis and Ruth have already given you some excellent advise - may I add The Lost Gardens of Heligan and Lanhydrock House in Bodmin to your list if you love gardens. Also you must not miss St Michaels Mount - the Cornish equivalent of Mont St Michel. If you love walks too try the National Trust in Cornwall website. There are some very special places like Godrevy, Bedruthan Steps and Clodgey Five Points which are all fantastic to give you an appetite for the astounding seafood and Cornish Clotted Cream of the area.<BR><BR>I strongly second their suggestions to stay in St Ives in Cornwall. It really is a magical place of cobbled streets with names like "The Digey", whitewashed houses, interesting shops. I also agree with you staying in a self-catering cottage - try these websites www.stivesholidays.co.uk and www.southwest-estates.co.uk for more info. <BR><BR>Over Devon, I agree with Janis' suggestion of staying somewhere between Salcombe - playground of sailing types and Kingsbridge. The little village of Thurlestone is a gem. In Devon you should really see the chocolate box thatched village of Cockington near Torquay and you can gorge on the history of Plymouth with Sir Francis Drake and his famous game of bowls.<BR><BR>Sorry for the long message but you can gauge my feelings for this special area. Late September is a great time to visit too as the large numbers of tourists who share my enthusiasm for the South West have ebbed<BR><BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:47 AM
janis

From too's comment about meeting more people in B&Bs and country hotels it seems he (she?) has never self catered. In a B&B you only meet the landlady and other tourists. When you stay in a cottage you become a resident of the village. -- Shop at the local green grocer, visit the same pus) every night, talk to the post man, milk man etc. Some of my best friends are people I met during a week staying in an English or Scottish village. <BR><BR>When you are moving every day or two you don't get to "know" anyone or anyplace.<BR><BR>I also enjoy staying in B&Bs - but my first choice is always renting a cottage or flat.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 12:20 PM
xxx

Adrian - just thought you might like to look at www.endoveanfarm.co.uk. It is a top rated B&B (by the AA, see www.theaa.com) near St Michael's Mount which also has a S/C cottage. I can't offer a personal recommendation - I'm trying to persuade my family to try it soon!<BR><BR>For the UK, these prices are cheap, especially for that quality. I wonder if anybody has stayed there...<BR><BR>I think you have had some damn good suggestions here, but I would add that East Devon is pleasant - Budleigh Salterton, Sidmouth, Beer. Quaint, genteel, quiet. Gittisham is a village much praised by Prince Charles with a nice upmarket hotel.<BR><BR>For a real blowout meal, I would head for Gidleigh Park in Chagford, on Dartmoor. You will find getting a table a little easier than at Rick Stein's (no TV exposure for the chef), and the food is better (and even pricier). It is owned by an American couple, and the website (www.gidleigh.com) is, I think, admirably informative and discursive. If you do decide to eat there, you could do worse than to give them a ring and ask their advice re local accommodations (note their generous recommendations for competing local restaurants).

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 01:11 PM
kavey

Just a few comments...<BR><BR>We have visited Cornwall and Devon for four years staying for the first two in Crackington Haven (Northern Cornwall), not far from Bude, and for the other two years in a huge mansion called Buckland House in Buckland Filliegh, which is in Devon (also near Bude).<BR><BR>Since we were holidaying with a group of about 30 friends we were restricted in choice but loved both locations.<BR><BR>We really enjoyed visiting Boscastle (which is a typical touristy little town with some lovely little shops, a pretty stream down into the sea and a beautiful view of the sea.<BR><BR>We enjoyed visiting local scrumpy farms, the place where they make Yarg cheese (so called because the name of the family who started it was Gray) and local vineyards in Camel Valley. We also spent time on very silly archery competitions with a local company and many of the group took advantage of the wonderful walking opportunities.<BR><BR>During our first year we did visit Paidstow and many of us ate in Rick Stein's main restaurant. Though very nice, it was also quite pricey for Cornwall. The following year some of chose instead to eat at his other restaurant in Paidstow, a bistro, and I preferred the menu there much more, not to mention the prices.<BR><BR>Also enjoyable were Lost Gardens of Heligan, Tintagel, St Michael's Mount and even Clovelly, though we were somewhat put off by having to pay just to enter the village, we still found it as picturesque as I had remembered from childhood (when entrance was free).<BR><BR>I hope you find the right base for you, which will depend on which attractions most appeal.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Becky

Adrian<BR><BR>Can't offer advice on Devon but for Cornwall my recommendation is the Lizard Peninsula. Lizard Point is the most southerly point in Britain. You can park at Lizard village and walk down to the Point which is on the coastal path and offers breathtaking views. If you like walking this is a great place to start. Places like Kynance Cove, Cadgwith Cove and Coverack. My favourite place in Cornwall has to be the Helford River. Helford Passage is idyllic and has a cosy pub - The Ferryboat Inn. The coastal walk from Helford Passage takes you past Trebah Gardens. <BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:40 PM
Ruth

to the top for BetsyB

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:04 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:17 AM
dg

Looe in Cornwall is a lovely seacoast town with an awful lot of very good restaurants for its size. It's a good place for staying a few days and travelling out from there.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:06 AM
jules

If you love gardens and history, you must visit The Lost Gardens of Heligan (Sth Cornwall). They were left in ruins after WW1,and have recently been restored to Victorian perfection -- most poignant of all are the pencil signatures of the 22 gardeners who enlisted to fight (only 6 returned)...these are on the wall of the 'thunder room' in the gardens. Much better than Eden project, which is very busy and generally despised by locals. Also, you must visit the pretty coastal town of Fowey , and the National Trust property Lanhydrock: England's best preserved Victorian house...great if you are interested in social history. The gardens there are gorgeous too. <BR>You could stay at Lostwithiel if you want to explore Sth Cornwall. This is a small town full of antique shops.<BR>Salcombe in Devon is a lively, old fishing town...some feel a little TOO popular with the londonites! <BR>Have a fab time...Devon and Cornwall are amazing.