suggestions for SW England

May 23rd, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

suggestions for SW England

I'm driving around southwest England this fall for a week, perhaps 10 days. I'm something of a history freak and amateur photographer. I'm particularly interested in castles/manor houses, ruins, lighthouses, historical sites, museums and just about any place with a magnificent vista.

I've picked out a few things already that I'd like to see, like the old tin mines in Cornwall, Buckland Abbey, Dartmoor and Exmoor NPs and Bath - it's sorta on the way . For those of you who have been, what would you say is a must-see?
May 23rd, 2003, 08:31 AM
JMM

Vistas:
Lynton/Lynmouth area in Devon, LaMorna Cove in Cornwall,Dartmoor,Lorna Doon country in Exmoor
Attractive towns - Wells and Lyme Regis (not in Devon but close enough)
Mousehole and Penzance in Cornwall
Historic and scenic:
St. Michael's Mount (near Penzance)
Cotehele House
These just come to mind off the top of my head.
May 23rd, 2003, 08:37 AM

Stonehenge is a must, a little over rated but you should see it.
Lynton/Lynmouth a definate must see for scenery and history.
Tintagel castle in Cornwall is worth a visit.
May 23rd, 2003, 09:20 AM

All have been good suggestions. Just wanted to say you will LOVE Dartmoor. Most folks touring around the West Country tend to stick to the coast (which is wonderful) but the scenery and villages in the moor are some of my fav places. It has been 5 or 6 years since I've been down there - but every time I discover more. Buckland is lovely. Try to come in from the south - the view of the "cathedral in the moor" and the whole valley is amazing.
May 23rd, 2003, 01:49 PM

On the south coast of Cornwall visit Polperro and St Michael's Mount if the tide is right.

On the north coast St. Ives is lovely. There is an architecturally brilliant Tate Gallery which operates seasonally and features artists of the St Ives School, Ben Nicholson among them. In addition, there is the studio and museum of the sculptress Barbara Hepworth.

Lovely area to visit and because of the influence of the gulf stream the weather can be very pleasant even in late fall.

You might enjoy Stourhead on your way. It's is one of the prime examples of British landscape.

Enjoy.
May 24th, 2003, 08:41 PM

Last year my wife and I visited SW England and called the village of Compton Dando our home. Centrally located to Stourhead, Longleat, Glastonbury, Castle Combe and southern Wales. Stayed at the Old Chapel in Compton Dando and were informed on the interesting sites in the area by Derek and Rosemary(b and b owners). I highly recommed staying at this establishment when travelling in SW England. Good luck during your foray, you will have a great time in this area of Britain.