Camargue Mosquitos in September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to visit Aigue Morte and the Camargue next week.

Anyone know if the bugs are still biting? I gather they're murder in the spring and summer, but haven't heard anything about the fall.

Also, I've read there are jeep tours near Aigue Morte into the Camargue. Would they be worthwhile, or can we see just as much driving ourselves? Like to see the horses, bulls, flamingos. Merci.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 07:42 PM

It probably depends on the temperatures and humidity, but we were there the third week of September and not a bite.

We took a boat tour which was enjoyable. We saw many flamingos and horses and stopped at a bull farm. I would have liked even more time to explore more of the area.

If you can, stay inside the walls of Aigues Mortes overnight. Rather magical experience after tourists leave and it is quiet.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Where do we pick up the boat tour?

Unfortunately, we can't stay overnight. We stayed just outside the walls at Carcassone last year. We went inside for dinner and it was very memorable, in that it was a warm and rainy night, with no one about. With a little imagination we could almost hear the horses hooves on the cobblestones, shimmering in the lamplight (sorry, sounds like a bad novel!). That's the image that still comes to mind, a moody, rainy, lonely night.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 11:44 PM

Hi sugarmaple

When I used to work for Eurocamp we used to dismantle the tents and mobile homes and so on at a camp site near Port Camargue in September, that was one of hundreds of places I oversaw all along the coast from Pisa to Barcelona. I can tell you it was the fastest "demontage" of them all. Mossies...the name doesn't do them justice, more like jaws with wings...

On the whole its fine during the day, then the action begins...

Best

Peter
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 11:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed in Aigues-Mortes one year in September and no Mosquitoes.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:05 AM

Not every one is affected equally by mosquitoes, and if in the past they have been a problem for you, then anti-mosquito spray is very easily purchased in France. Wearing light-colored clothing (and socks) can help keep you from becoming a target. Also, the fact that someone else didn't experience in September says nothing about whether you will or won't. It might have been breezy while they were there, or actively rainy, or an exceptionally dry summer, etc etc. Don't forget to re-apply mosquito spray after a few hours, especially around twilight.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
And don't wear perfume.
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the advice sandralist

There were usually about twenty of us working there and I don't remember any of us not being affected by the mossies in the Camargue as the sun started to go down in September.

It is no coincidence that there are so many mossies there, its marshland on the whole.

Best forewarned and armed (even the best tropical XXX sprays are not enough when the number and ferocity are so high and you can pile it on every five minutes if you like but they will find the gaps). Of course you can manage it to a degree...

Best

Peter

PS - I've done my fair share of trekking in jungles in Africa and Thailand so I've got a reasonable perspective on this one.
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandralist, cigalechanta and Peter.

I'd planned all along to wear my lightest coloured clothing, yes to socks, and I never wear perfume anyhow. Just to be on the safe side I brought some Off Skintastic from home. I know it's not as strong as DEET, but it might just be enough to do the trick. It's terribly windy the last couple of days, so that might help also.

<jaws with wings>. Love it! Kinda describes our black flies in the spring!