Notices

Top hotel rooms in Paris / trains

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:23 AM
Daniel

Top hotel rooms in Paris / trains

Along with my brothers and sister, I'm organising a surprise holiday for my parents’ 30th Wedding Anniversary (and my mum's 50th). 2nd honeymoon and all that...

They refuse to fly so we're train-ing them to Rome for a week (my mum's always wanted to see the sistine chapel) with stop offs in Paris. For the stop-offs in Paris, money is not a big issue. We really want to put them up somewhere special in an amazing room with all the trimmings (4-poster bed, marble bath, etc). None of us have stayed in really expensive hotels so don’t really know much about them. My parents aren’t glamorous or ‘fabulously rich’.

Are they likely to be made to feel out of place at one the big names hotels (Bristol, Ritz, George V, etc) – Are they geared up mainly for American business people? Any ideas on luxurious hotels for 2nd honeymoons?

As an aside, we’d like to book the whole thing with one company. At the moment, the only one we’ve found who offer holidays with trains from England to Paris (Eurostar) to Rome (overnight sleeper) is Citalia. Any others? Should we really be talking to an independent travel advisor or doing it ourselves?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks very much in advance - any help most appreciated!...

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Ira

Hi Daniel,
Great anniversary present. May I suggest that you not "go over the top" on accomodations? A 3 or 4 star hotel will seem quite luxurious, a 5* might make them uncomfortable.
Likewise for dinner reservations. A one-star restaurant might make them happier than a 3*.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Eye Spy

If you are really going all out for them and want to have them in the best place, I personally would reserve at L'Hôtel de Crillon on Place de la Concorde and rue Gabriel (just across the street from the American Embassy). The Crillon is the only hotel in Paris that is housed in a palace and it is truly the most luxurious hotel in Paris, and in my opinion, even better than the Ritz on Place Vendôme. You can in no way go wrong in planning a stay here. Check out www.crillon.com (English language option located at the bottom right-hand side of the welcome screen). Otherwise, you may wish to try (in this order): Le Ritz, Plaza Athénée (on Avenue Montaigne), Le Bristol (rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré across from the Elysée Palace) or Le Meurice (rue de Rivoli by Tuileries). Your parents would be very lucky indeed!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:24 AM
xxx

I would suggest the George V. The service is very welcoming and your parents won't feel out of place, just pampered. The Ritz on the other hand does sometimes have an attitude problem.
I haven't looked into it, but is it possible for them to do part of their trip on the Orient Express?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Amy

I agree with the posts that steer you away from the Ritz. I stayed there last summer to treat my mother, and its service and accomodations were fabulous. That being said, it was a "bit much" for us. A lovely hotel, however, and my mother loves to tell her friends that she stayed there.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Laurie

Dear Daniel, The most luxurious hotel I've stayed in in Paris is the Raphael on Ave. Kleber. It's a quiet street but very near the Arche de Triomphe. This hotel epitomizes understated elegance. All the rooms are very spacious with antique furniture. The elevator is the old-fashioned wrought-iron cage. It's so picturesque that the only downside to staying there is it is often used as a shooting set for movies. I have been to the Ritz for lunch (elegant) & le Crillon for drinks (absolutely palatial).

Check for best prices on websites like
www.webscapades.com -digital.france.com & www,all-hotels.com

There's also a website called Luxurylink.com that offers great discounts on luxury venues both bidding & as fixed discount but I think the best offers are usually close to time of travel.

Good luck!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Laurie

Just remembered the other hotel that's intrigued me is in Place des Vosges, IMO the most beautiful square in Paris. I think it's called La Reine or La Reina. Very lovely & also understated but don't know what the rooms are like.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Belinda

It's called Pavillon de la Reine.
Very good choice, IMO.

www.pavillon-de-la-reine.com

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Daniel

Thanks very much for the replies guys. Most appreciated. I think we're probably going to go with the George V. Shall let you know what they thought when they return...

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Vincent

You can either go with one of the "international" hotels such as George V, Crillon, Ritz, etc. IMHO these places are a bit over the top and geared to rich package tourists and Middle Eastern arms dealers, so I wouldn't put them on my list for a romantic getaway. Paris is full of very nice boutique hotels, such as The Pershing Hall (75008), Hotel Costes (75008) or L'Hotel (75006). Even the Relais Christine, in the 6th, is a great, cozy, classic and more intimate choice. Check out timeout.com/paris, they have great accommodation suggestions in all price brackets and I have always found their comments spot on.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:09 AM
erin

dear Daniel,
We stayed at George V last summer abd love it. We did have our two teenage boys with us and did not feel out of place at all, even with children. The rooms were great and the service was fabulous. Your parents will not feel out of place!

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
question for everyone: seeming we are on the topic. Hotel Le Maurice or George V - how do they compare or not????
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still laughing about the idea that because an "arms dealer" stays someplace that makes it undesirable.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arms dealers do tend to where that little red/white stick-on label "Hi, My name is ________, and I'm an Arm's Dealer"

I've noticed