Great Hotel near Place Vendome/Normand Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently returned from a 4 night stay at the Plaza Paris Vendome, a newly renovated (Oct. 2003) hotel near the Place Vendome in the 1st District. Rooms are warm and inviting with an Art Deco touch. Superior room is on the smaller size but manageable. I booked through American Airlines website at a very reasonable rate for a June stay (around $300) and upgraded for a slight fee. Staff is very helpful - concierge made train arrangements and had tickets delivered to hotel. Lovely pool with swimming jets, sauna and workout room. Room service sandwich was good, did not try out the bar but it looked nice and there was a comfortable library area to catch up on newspapers. The hotel is on a very quiet street a block from Rue du Rivoli, quick walk to the Louvre, Tuilieres Garden, Opera and Galleries Lafayette...in other words, a great location. A gem of a find at a good price in this area. I would stay here again.
I can also recommend a day trip to Normandy to visit the American beaches with a company call D-Day Tours. I took the 10:43 a.m. train from Paris to Bayeux where I was met at the train station shortly before 1 p.m. by a wonderful guide and only 7 other people in a mini van. We toured Omaha and Utah beaches, Pointe Du Hoc, the U.S. cemetary, Saint Mere Eglise, etc (Tour B on their website). They brought me back to the train station just after 6 p.m. to catch the 6:21 p.m. train and I was back in Paris close to 9 p.m. A very efficient and interesting day. For me this was much better than the bus/van day trips from Paris and I appreciated the later departure hour too! D-Day tours can be reached through www.normandywebguide.com or at (33) 0 231 517 052.
Thanks to all who responded to my previous emails about Paris...hope this helps those planning a Parisian holiday!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 02:30 PM

It's good to have a first-hand review of the Plaza Paris. The location is certainly great--and how nice to have a pool right in the hotel. Where exactly is it in relation to the Place and the Ritz?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

The hotel is two short blocks from Place Vendome and the Ritz...five minute walk, tops. The hotel is on Rue du Mont Thabor...between Rue du Rivoli and Rue du St. Honare (forgive my spelling!). The pool is very nice with wet/dry sauna and workout facilities. Rooms had flat screen televisons (great idea to maximize space), a DVD/CD player, mini-bar, robes, hair dryer, Bulgari amenities in the bathroom - everything you need. All in all the Plaza Paris Vendome provided a very calming refuge after a day walking around Paris. Enjoy if you go!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:01 PM

The hotel must be near one of our favorite restaurants, Le Soufflé, also on the Rue Month-Thabor. Great location.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I did not try Le Souffle...looks like a great place - next time!