Reload this Page >

Paris hotels 6th arr.

Search

Paris hotels 6th arr.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:04 AM
ryan

Paris hotels 6th arr.

My wife and I are planning our second trip to Paris. Last year at Christmas we stayed by Gare St. Lazare. This year we thought it might be fun to stay on left bank. Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels in the 6th arr. or would recommend a nice area. Don't want to spend more than 175 to 225 per night. Planning to stay about 7 nights. Does anyone know anything about the Artus hotel?

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Fluffy

Ryan; here are some solid choices in the 6th- 1) le Madison hotel - very nice upper end hotel on blvd. Saint Germain; 3 star; but exceptional staff with nice rooms particularly if you get a deluxe room ( I would suggest one overlooking the courtyard)which should be in the upper end of your price range.<BR>You can do a serch by entering le Madison hotel Paris France<BR><BR> 2- hotel le Saint Beuve this is a wounderful small hotel near the Luxembourg gardens and easy walking to blvd. Saint Germain and other attractions.It is very reasonable for Paris with lovely rooms; I also think in your price range you will be able to up-grade to a superior room.There was recently a post on this hotel .You might want to do a search.<BR>I have more suggestions if you need then email me directly.<BR>Viva la Frnce<BR>Fluffy<BR>p.s. I am certain I have seen both these hotels reviewed in Fodors and Frommers<BR>to the top for Ryan

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:37 AM
xxx

Hotel Artus*** is the former Buci Latin on Rue de Buci, 6th.<BR>If you do a search here, you'll find some more information. Excellent location, fills up very quickly. Just some 35 rooms. Book asap.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:32 AM
heidi

Hotel Le Regent - rooms a bit small but the staff was great and you can't beat the location on rue Dauphine...<BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Mike

Ryan: Check-out the Hotel de l'Abbaye at 10 rue Cassette. They have a web site. My wife and I just returned from Paris about two weeks ago and stayed at the de l'Abbaye. We really enjoyed our stay; the staff was very helful (e.g., making dinner reservations). Breakfast is included in the room rate. The hotel is not too far from the Blvd. St. Germain, and very close to the Jardin de Luxembourg. We found that it's close without the noise. It was my wife's fouth visit to Paris, and she thought it was the best hotel we've stayed in thus far. Good luck.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 03:01 PM
lizbeth

Ryan - I stayed at the St. Paul last year (be aware that there are at least two hotels named St. Paul. I'm talking about the one on Rue Msr. le Prince in the 6th). It was in an ideal area - close by the Luxembourg Gardens, the Blvds. St. Germain and St. Andre, walking distance from the Seine.<BR>It wasn't luxurious, but unique and comfortable. It's an old residence, with creaky stairs and oddly configured rooms. It does have an elevator, though. I particularly loved the house dog and cat snoozing in the lobby. Bathrooms were nice and the staff helpful with directions and taxis, etc.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Maribel

ryan,<BR>I'd like to second Fluffy's recommendation of le Madison. We also found the staff warm, really exceptional (but there are dissenters out there), the hotel very stylish and wonderfully located. Although it was a real stretch for our budget (we only stayed there for the 3 final days of our 8 day stay), we chose their luxe 230 euro large double with balcony overlooking the Place St. Germain, which had amazingly ample closet space and a beautifully tiled bathroom with double sink.<BR>It's pictured on their snazzy web site<BR>as room type 2. But the rate goes up to 240 euros in '03.<BR>www.hotel-madison.com<BR><BR>However, when we walked by the de l'Abbaye when wandering around Place St. Sulpice, we were immediately capitvated by the looks of it, and after stepping inside, even more so. It had been on our "short list", but we didn't feel we could spend 260 per night for the deluxe double and had heard the standard rooms were rather small. But it's a lovely, secluded and romantic hotel I hope we can treat ourselves to someday!<BR>Others in the 6th on our final list with fine locations and in your price range ('02 prices) <BR>Le Regent (deluxe 183), <BR>Millesime (superior 190, millesime, 210)<BR>Saint Peres (deluxe, 195- '03 price)<BR>Relais St. Sulpice (superior, 183)<BR>l'Academie (deluxe, 229 but only 149 in winter)<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Mike,<BR>Could you comment on the size of the standard vs deluxe rooms at the de l"Abbaye?

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:37 PM
beth

I would not forget d'Angelterre. It's my favorite. Do a search on it. Here is an article about it. <BR><BR>http://www.economist.com/cities/displayobject.cfm?obj_id=471337&city_id=PAR<BR><BR >There email address is [email protected] You can make your reservations via email

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 09:04 AM
cheryl

We just returned from Paris yesterday and we stayed at the d'Angleterre and the Abbatial St. Germain hotels. It's my personal opinion, butI disagree with Beth on the d'Angleterre. I find it is not worth the price we paid-248 euro per night. The staff is polite but very serious and the room we had needed maintenance. While walking around rue Jacob we saw that there are many hotels that looked alot better than the d'Angleterre. The Hotel Millesime is down the street on rue Jacob and the Hotel de St. Germain des Pres in across the street on rue Bonaparte. We also saw the Madison and it is right on Blvd. St. Germain and it does look nice from the outside.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 09:24 AM
beth

Angelterre depends a lot on the room you get. That has been discussed on this board. <BR><BR>Beth

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Joe

We stayed at the Hotel Parthenon over Thanksgiving in '99 for $100 night. We found it on one of the standard Paris web sites, and it listed a discount for 5 or more nights during the winter. The room was normally $150 - nice although small room that had been newly redecorated in a very good location. According to guides, the top floor rooms, which may be a little more, have a view of Sacre Coeur.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 11:15 AM
kate

Having stayed at the D'Angleterre three times, we stayed in different rooms each time. They were all nice, the last, being a top floor suite being the nicest. While the staff is serious, they take very good care of you and are there whenever you need them. We also looked at the other hotels on rue Jacob, but preferred the Angleterre.<BR>If you want shiny new rooms, it may not be to your taste, it is a very old and historic building.<BR>Personally, that is what I love about Paris hotels, they do not resemble the new glossy hotels of the USA in any way!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Mike

To Maribel: Just a quick note on the room size at the de l'Abbaye. My wife and I booked rather late, so we stayed in one of the standard rooms (185 euros/night). Yes, the room was on the small side, but nicely decorated and very comfortable. One feature of the room that we rather enjoyed was that it had two large windows, one in the bathroom and the other one over looked the courtyard in the back of the hotel. Allowed for nice light. I would stay there agin, and in the same room -- I didn't consider the size of the room to be an issue. Enjoy your visit...

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 11:48 AM
fran

We stayed at the Millesime on the Rue Jacob last month. It was wonderful. We had the superior room which was quite large. The staff was terrific. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Fluffy

Hi Ryan; it's Fluffy again<BR>if the le Madison is not in your budget log onto www.parisby.com and punch 3 star hotels or 6th arrondissement to see hotel le Saint Beuve; and several of the other hotels mentioned.<BR>I also think the hotel Relais Saint Sulpice is a solid choice; you can do a search by entering Paris hotels in the 6th arrondissement.<BR>Viva la France <BR>Fluffy<BR>p.s. Fodors reviews several of the hotels mentioned above<BR>to the top for Ryan<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Maribel

ryan,<BR>Also you might look at the hotels that Patricia Wells, author of Food Lover's Guide to Paris, recommends in the 6th for those attending her cooking classes on the Rue Jacob (fabulous street!):<BR><BR>www.patriciawells.com/paris/photels.htm<BR><BR>Mike,<BR>Thanks very much for the feedback. We'll book a standard rm at the l'Abbaye for our final nights in Paris in Jan.!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 03:36 PM
cheryl

Sorry, but I don't think a hotel should have differently maintained rooms. Everything should be standard. We paid quite alot at d'Angleterre and for that rate we got a room with some peeling paint on the walls and a bathtub with mold covered up slightly with new caulk. The pillows smelled musty and should have been replaced. I'm sorry but I think this hotel is grossly overrated.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:09 PM
sandra

One of the rue jacob favorites is Hotel Du Danube, lovely hotel historical. lovable staff and lovely rooms. Search on this siote for reams of comments on how great it is. If ever a hotel will bend over backward to make sure you enjoy yourself the danube will.<BR> A few months ago USA Today had an article on them, reasonable prices, french charm, marble bathrooms and a lovely living area where guest congregate at night to chat.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Dave

Cheryl...We'll be staying at the Abbatial St. Germain next month...how was it?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:03 AM
cheryl

Dave, you will like staying at the Abbatial. Its central location is the best thing. You'll be a few blocks from the Pantheon, Notre Dame, Blvd. St. Michel, and the 6th dist.<BR><BR>The hotel has a great buffet cont'l. b'fast with fresh croissants, baguettes, cheese, fruit compote, and great coffee and hot chocolate.<BR><BR>The room we reserved was the one in their ads-#55 (not a large room but good enough). Has two sets of large windows overlooking the blvd. and Pantheon. There's another frosted window in the very modern small bath that strangely allows people from outside to make out your shape when the light's turned on.<BR><BR>The only thing I hated was the inconsideration of our noisy neighbors as we could hear every word of their conversations through the walls (concrete). The elevator is very tiny-2 people max. <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -