Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: hotel St. Germain de Pres or Hotel des Maronnieres?

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bonjour Mes Amis,
We will be in Paris in June for 5 nights with our two teenage daughters and I am really looking forward to staying on the left bank in the St. Germain area.

I have researched lots and lots and am now down to the above mentioned hotels.

Both are relatively similar and i just was hoping someone could give me some insight or persuade me to select one...so i don't have to do it myself...i'm tired of making sooooo many decision!

Merci beaucoup!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM

I have stayed at both. The St. Germain de Pres is decorated very lovely but is more formal. Some rooms have AC and some don't so if you want AC make sure you request it. It is on a busy street so if you get a room in the front, opening the windows isn't really an option. I didn't see any kids at this hotel.

Des Maronnieres is a little more low key, still has lovely French decoration, but not as high brow as the other. Between the two I would pick des Maronnieres with daughters. Can't tell you about the AC there as we didn't need it. Has a lovely courtyard and is on a side street not too far from the other hotel.

In both hotels, the rooms are very small. Be prepared. Bathrooms at the St. Germain were larger. I think the receptionists at des Maronnieres were more helpful and friendly.

My daughter has been to Paris with us a couple of times and the hotel she enjoyed the most is Hotel Muguet. It is not in the St. Germain area but just off the much maligned Rue Cler. We felt comfortable letting the girls wander out on Rue Cler by themselves. Hotel Muguet has just been remodeled but is booked a year in advance:
http://www.paris-hotel-muguet.com/

Have a wonderful time with your girls!

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Ronda,
Thank you sooo much for your insight!
Wow...I just looked over my notes and confirmations and it is not confirmed at SGP that we have AC. I just sent them off an email re: AC, and our view to determine if we are facing busy street or quiet back - phew!
Maron. has A/C and we are facing garden altnough I guess that doesn't really matter as much since it sounds like noise is not an issue there.
I just checked out Le Miguet online and it looks nice - I emailed just in case they have avlblty as it is $100 cheaper than the other two.
Why do you say "much maligned Rue Cler" - I thought that was supposed to be a really beautiful street?
Funny that i haven't read about this hotel anywhere - seems like once you hear about a place you see it everywhere!
MERCI BEAUCOUP!
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:54 AM

I stayed at des Marrioniers (sp??) my first trip to Paris and LOVED it. The location is wonderful, but as noted above, the rooms ARE small! However, the garden there is a little jewel. Paris, to me at that time, was all the little streets of St. Germain running off one another like a bowl of spaghetti! I stayed at the Muguet in 2002 and loved that hotel also. Doesn't have the "vibe" that St. Germain has, but still enjoyed that area. I stayed in the 7th again in 2006 and so enjoyed the apartment experience.

Rue Cler was "brought to life" by Rick Steves and many people think it's too hyped. I found it fascinating both in 2002 and 2006. However, as you will find from being in Paris, there ARE several other market streets in Paris -- not just Rue Cler!!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM

We stayed at the St. Germain de Pres in 2005 and really enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was very good and the staff very helpful. Location was good as well, and we would definitely stay there again. In fact we are planning a trip for 2009 and will probably stay at this hotel again. 2005 was our 6th trip to Paris and this hotel is our favorite so far.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Hotel St. Germain de Pres is beautiful and very romantic. Which is exactly why I would suggest Maronnieres over it with teenage daughters. Very nice for couples.

Muguet is not decorated as fancy as the two you have suggested but is very comfortable and the rooms are a little more spacious. The AC works great. It is not in the St. Germain area but close to the Eiffel Tower. My teens were very down to earth and much preferred the Muguet to the fussiness of the St. Germain des Pres. But that's my girls; they are golden retrievers but maybe yours are poodles. The breakfast room is not as nice as the other two but there is a Bakery on Rue Cler and cafes.

Breakfasts at the hotels are extra and you pay a pretty penny for them. There is a Pauls close to Maronnieres and St. G. but it is fun to do breakfast in the hotel at least once. There is also one of those fancy cookie shops with a tea room famous for its almond cookies on Rue Bonaparte but I can't think of the name. Has a lovely tea room. Someone will know. I think its Angelina's (?). There are at least two I know of in Paris.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Another vote for Des Maronnieres. You are right that you can have a room on the back facing the garden, which you really can't see or one facing the front courtyard which is still very nice and quiet, but less money. I have also stayed a few times at the Mugeut and I don't think that the front desk is that friendly.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM

It's Laduree not Angelina's

http://www.laduree.fr/

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:45 AM

Debauve & Gallais chocolate shop is at 30 Rue des Saint-Peres. It is beautiful and close to where you will be. They are very expensive but I'm sure the prices on their website are incorrect (the decimel point has to be off unless shipping is REAL expensive and the euro). They have made chocolates for Napoleon. You should go see the shop even if you don't buy anything. Just smell it!

www.debauve-et-gallais.com