Reload this Page >

A notch below the Ritz

Search

A notch below the Ritz

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Laura

A notch below the Ritz

We are traveling to Paris in May for 3 nights and would like to stay at a very nice hotel, but nothing quite as stuffy as the Ritz. Prefer 1st arrod. but as long as it was centrally located not a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Francie

Laura,<BR>Having not stayed at the Ritz before so cannot compare, but I can recommend the InterContinental just down the street in the 1st. This hotel is very centrally located to the Tuileries and a short walking distance to the Champs. As we took a city tour (+ others, too) to acquaint ourselves,the CityRama touring offices are a short 3 blocks away. You can also check out the hotels' ratings right here on Fodors under HOTELS for additional info.<BR>Good luck.<BR>Francie

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laura- Just discovered my long answer to your question has DISAPPEARED. So a short version- George V, Le Meurice (I don't like this location though on Rue de Rivoli), Royal Monceau, Lancaster, Raphael. Go to www.digital.france.com/hotels where they have a good set up for viewing hotel options. Bon chance!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:24 PM

We stayed here last September, and WOW!<BR><BR>www.paris.vendome.hyatt.fr<BR><BR>Park Hyatt Paris-Vend&ocirc;me is ideally located in the heart of Paris on the prestigious Rue de la Paix, and is within walking distance of the Place de la Concorde and the Arc de Triomphe on the Champs Elys&eacute;es. The Louvre and the Mus&eacute;e d'Orsay, as well as other major landmarks such as the Op&eacute;ra, are also nearby, together with Paris' most exclusive shops at Place Vend&ocirc;me, Rue du Faubourg St Honor&eacute; and Avenue Montaigne.<BR><BR>Interior designer Ed Tuttle was inspired by French classical architecture, which he has incorporated into the hotel's contemporary design. Symmetrically balanced spaces, high ceilings, colonnades and interior courtyards benefit from the simple, modern use of classic materials such as mahogany and limestone. This, combined with an emphasis on 'a residential feel' and the careful selection of original contemporary works of art throughout the hotel, has resulted in a unique alternative that offers guests that extra stimulus within a warm, comfortable atmosphere.<BR><BR>The hotel's 188 spacious guest rooms, including 29 suites, are custom-designed to offer simultaneously a relaxing haven of comfort and the benefit of cutting-edge communications.<BR><BR>Hotel facilities include a gym and a guest-only spa with a limestone hammam in both the men and women's locker rooms, as well as saunas and three treatment rooms with wood floors, mahogany walls, stone showers and gilded cornices.<BR><BR>The Main Restaurant, featuring a grill, is open daily for lunch and dinner and offers innovative seasonal dishes. Overlooking the interior courtyard, an elegant bar area lies in the heart of the hotel, and serves a variety of refreshments and cocktails. From breakfast to a late night cup, the Salons provide an excellent meeting place for drinks or light meals.<BR><BR>A total of eight meeting rooms, including six versatile reception rooms, are ideal for hosting events from banquets and gala dinners to high-profile business meetings or seminars. The two boardrooms with natural light provide the desired privacy for meetings of up to 14 people or a very private dinner. <BR><BR>As Hyatt's first 'Park' hotel in Paris, this distinguished property is designed to meet the needs of discerning individual travellers, promising elegant and gracious service on a personal and intimate scale.<BR>
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Laura- We stayed at the Intercontinental and it was AWFUL- the rooms were the size of a tiny tiny closet- not even enuf room to get off bed without hitting suitcases which were against the wall=-=-<BR>Also the people at the Intercontinental were not very helpful with anything-- we asked the concierge to make dinner reeservations and he seemed to feel that was an awful request...<BR><BR>However,we did walk across the street and looked at the HOTEL VENDOME ( NOT the HYATT) and the Hotel Vendome is AWESOME!!! plus it had a wonderful bar on the 2nd floor and a terrific street level restuarant!!<BR><BR>A great way to spend our last nite in Paris!!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:41 PM

In my opinion, the Intercontinental, across from the Tuillerie Gardens, was delightful. The rooms were lovely, the staff was helpful and the location can't be beat! My husband and I stayed there for 6 nights, last August... I would recommended it highly.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:22 AM

I like the Hotel Scribe (currently a in the Sofitel chain).<BR><BR>The location is fantastic: you're at the place de l'Opera, just a 5-minute walk to the big department stores, and not much further from the best shopping at the Madeleine and Faubourg St-Honore. Lots and lots of nearby choices for restaurants and entertainment, and I've always found the staff to be friendly. As with all older hotels, rooms can range from sunny and spacious to smallish. <BR><BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Try the Hotel Baltimore. It recently had a complete overhaul and now looks quite interesting. It has been given good to glowing reviews in recent issues of several European fashion/style magazines. We're going to try it in May or June ourselves. Internet special rates run about $200 a night.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:21 PM

You can always just give in and stay with all the other Japanese tourists at the Hotel du Louvre. Or you could try the lesser known Hotel Regina between Palais Royal and Tuileries. Those are fine places.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:01 PM

we stay at the plaza athenee, not stuffy like george V or the ritz, but 5 star all the way.