Too Much Same, Same??

Old Feb 10th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Much Same, Same??

Hi all - my first post, so hope you can help!

We are planning a trip to Europe next May and are visiting Venice (3-4 days), the Italian Lake district (probably based near Lake Como for about a week) and Switzerland for about a week. We need to go to Zurich (to see friends) but don't want to spend too much time there, so I was thinking we could spend a week somewhere like Interlaken/Speiz on the lake... my question is, is that too much "lake-time" - should I be planning to spend a week in another part of Switzerland for more variety? We are travelling with a 4-yo boy, so would like to be based in an area and do day trips rather than moving every couple of days.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 03:57 AM

Cazza:
Interlaken is strictly speaking NOT ON the lake--the name means BETWEEN the lakes (Thun and Brienz). It is on a lrge patch of dry land. It is a great point for trips departing up into the mountains, but IMO not the quaintest for overnight stays. But, I would certainly daytrip there for meadow views of the 'big 3' mountains (Jungfrau, Eiger and Moench) and to lunch or shop. I would consider Spiez, Thun or better yet, Brienz as the homebase for this area. Yes, Thun and Brienz are on lakes, but Brienz is a wood-carving village with wooden chalets climbing steeply up the hillside and a fantastic 'outdoor museum'-Ballenberg Freilichtmuseum, accessible by 20 minute busride, where a family could easily spend 3 or 4 hours visiting relocated typical Swiss dwellings and viewing demos such as wooden cuckoo whistle-making or sausage-smoking, etc in a forest setting (bring a picnic or make use of the many little cafes there).
Brienz has a steep narrow gauge track rail up to the Rothorn for splendid views of the lakes below and a little cafeteria too. Of couse, these are in addition to the usual "big" trip destinations of Kleine Scheidegg, Grindelwald, Muerren, Lauterbrunnen valley, etc in the area---plenty more than lakes to do and see!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
ira

Hi C,

No, not too much lake time.

Good advice from Mokka.

You might find my trip report helpful:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

Old Feb 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to you both for your help... I'm starting to get quite excited about this holiday!
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:13 AM

I think Spiez is a lovely lake for a 4-year old (and for older people too, but Spiez has lots of sweet things a 4 year old might particularly enjoy).
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:15 AM

Ooops-- hit the button before I meant to.

If I were cut out any lake time, it would be Lago di Como with a 4 year old. You might find more to do on Lago di Garda. Depends on what you want.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks zeppole... that sounds good - I'll do a bit more research into Lago di Garda.