Reload this Page >

Berner Oberland Trip Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:18 PM
Rajiv

Hi all,<BR><BR>I have read some of the very useful suggestions folks have made on this message board. We have a total of 5 days to enjoy our trip to Switzerland, visiting in June. I would like some of your suggestions/feedback on the following:<BR><BR>1. Instead of spending a day in Geneva for sightseeing, just use that day enjoying the Berner Oberland. Agree?<BR>2. Use one of the mountain towns like Murren, Wengen as the base instead of Interlaken. Compared to Interlaken, would it be much cooler in these mountain towns? Since we are travelling with our 1 year old and considering that we may need supplies, would Interlaken be a better base?<BR>3. Is Zermatt a worthwhile excursion given that we would cover the highlights in the Berner Oberland or would we be spread too thin?<BR>4. We will be visiting Lucerne as well. Any other places you would highly recommend?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>rajiv

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:37 AM
Bill Fleites

I would definetly take the Berner Overland over Geneva. I'd recommend spending two nights up in Murren rather than using Interlaken as a base, just take the supplies you'll need for your 1 yr old. The views of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau peaks from Murren will be something you'll never forget. Also from Murren, you can take the cable car up to the Schilthorn platform for the magnificent views of the Swiss Alps from up there.<BR><BR>I also liked Zermatt, it is thrilling to see the real Matterhorn hovering over the town, and you can also take the Gornergrat cog wheel train for more spectacular Alpine scenery.<BR><BR>Luzern is also worth at least a full day. It's a beautiful small town with a very scenic lake. The Kappelbrucke covered bridge over the lake is a must see.<BR><BR>For additional info, and pictures of this area you can visit my homepage at www.gatortravels.com.<BR>

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:41 AM
Anitha

Hello--<BR><BR>My family and I are getting ready to leave for a 10 day trip to Switzerland in 2 weeks! We've done extensive research including using this fabulous forum. We opted for Grindelwald in the Berner Oberland because it is larger than Murren/Wengen, but closer to the mountains than Interlaken. Its is supposed to be more crowded than the former two resorts, but atleast you'll be closer to the astonishing views than Interlaken, and Grindelwald will probably have the supplies you need for your family. We are travelling with a 6 year old. Then its off to Lake Lucerne where we'll be staying on a lake resort called Weggis, just a ferry trip (30 min.) away from Lucerne. We found much more reasonable lakefront accomodations in Weggis.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:53 AM
Andre

Rajiv,<BR><BR>1. Unless you need to catch an early flight home or want to buy an expensive watch/piece of jewelery, you might as well skip Geneva with so little time.<BR><BR>2. Hmmm.... June is a tricky month - could be warm and beautiful in the mountains or still very cold (right now<BR>temps in Wengen are around freezimng with snowfall) I would recommend staying in or near Interlaken.<BR><BR>3. While I love Zermatt, I think you will have more than enough mountain scenery at your doorstep - why travel a whole day to see some more?<BR><BR>4. I would recommend going to Bern - beautiful medieval old town. Also a boat trip on the Thunersee or Brienzer See. My favourite peaks: Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch (not very original). The Tr&uuml;mmelbach waterfalls are also quite spectacular.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:55 AM
geena

I am so glad that everyone goes to Grindelwald and Murren and leaves all the other wonderful mountain spots for those of us who like to get off the beaten path (alone).

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:28 AM
s

Rajiv,<BR><BR>Just want to set your mind at ease about supplies for your child: both Wengen and Grindelwald have grocery & pharmacy stores that should be able to supply you with normal (??) needs. So please don't let that consideration steer you toward Interlaken!<BR><BR>As most others here have said, the villages of Wengen, Muerren, or Grindelwald will give you the best mountain experience, and there is so much to do (alpine walks, lakeside excursions) that you could be busy for a lifetime.<BR><BR>Although Andre does make a good point about the weather in June, I still really would rather be closer to the mountains. Even in fog and rain, it's a spectacular experience to wake up looking at the mountain peaks.<BR><BR>s

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Bill

My wife and I are going in late June and have decided to spend some time in a small village by Lake Brienz and some time in Lauterbrunnen in the Valley before you head up to Wengen or Murren. Should be warmer and you are closer to waterfalls. What a terrible choice to have to make, no.<BR><BR>Bill

Old May 4th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Ingo

To Geena: I am also glad that everyone goes to Grindelwald, Muerren etc. Let us hope that nobody tells them about the secret places! J<BR><BR>I do not think that it will be extremely cold in June, but if this is relevant to you, Grindelwald is not much cooler than Interlaken.<BR><BR>A trip to Zermatt makes no sense in my opinion. It is a very long train ride.<BR><BR>In Lucerne do not miss the covered wooden bridges, the 3 beautiful churches (Hofkirche, Jesuitenkirche, Franziskanerkirche), the Rosengart museum and just stroll along the narrow streets in the old town. Have a lunch of coffee in a restaurant/caf&eacute; with view of the river or, just better, go up on a hill by funicular: Hotel Guetsch and Hotel Montana have both very good restaurants with terraces and spectacular views.<BR><BR>If you are more interested in mountains than in cities it is of course better to add one day in the Berner Oberland instead of sightseeing in Geneva. But from my personal experience I can say that I enjoyed a day sightseeing in Geneva very much.<BR><BR>Ingo<BR>

Old May 4th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Bill Carmody

Regarding spending time in a Swiss city vs. more time in the mountainous areas: the weather might be poor, and you might be disappointed to see rather little of the mountains, if you only planned to go to ONE mountainous area. I was dissapointed in 1967, but delighted in 1988. The weather does make a very significant difference.<BR><BR>As noted in another post, Bern is a delightful city, little advertised for the tourist trade, but well worth visiting. It is an undiscovered gem.