Todi or Spoleto?

Search

Todi or Spoleto?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Todi or Spoleto?

Any advice please? For our honeymoon my wife and I will be spending 4 days in Venice before driving south to a villa on the Amalfi coast for a further fortnight (flying into Venice and out from Napoli). Question: Looking at my projected route south I see it makes sense to stop in Umbria and either Todi or Spoleto seem to be the ideal.
Any preferences, ideas? and any decent hotels (say upto E200 for the night)that might appeal to a honeymooning couples? What are your experiences of these towns... or am I overlooking a more(or less!) obvious alternative?

Thanks for the input...
Dr D.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Dr, I've done both. Any chance you might consider Perugia?
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:05 PM
GAC

If you choose Spoleto, I highly recommend both the Hotel Gattopardo and the Residenza d'Epoca Palazzo Dragoni. Both are very special.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

NYC-F-S: why? do you think I ought to? If you can speak from experience of having been to all three what are the salient points?
Thank you.
DrD.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Dr...I have an appt. I'll get back to you soon.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

GAC: thank you for your response; the Palazzo Dragoni certainly looks wonderful (on their web site), I've not yet been able to track down the Gattopardo but I'll keep working on it... thank you for the suggestions. What were your impressions of Spoleto as a town? (Bearing in mind it'll be, for us, something of a brief stop-over, arriving 4pm-ish and up and away by 11am next morning). Your comments would be very much valued. Thankyou
DrD.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM
GAC

Sorry, it's the Hotel GATTAPONE (not Gattopardo)!!!

Spoleto is a wonderful town. An overnight there would be the absolute minimum to get a flavor of the town. I haven't been to Todi, but understand it's very, very nice.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Sorry Dr.

I lost track of the time when I last posted.

Hmmm...since you're spending so little time in whichever place you choose, it may not matter. I love all the hilltowns of Umbria but Perugia and Assisi are the two that grabbed my heart and my palate. In case you haven't noticed, food usually dictates where my heart remains. Perugia has a terrific young buzz (very cool students), some great food, breathtaking views, and very old Etruscan roots. It's bigger than the others but one can walk it quite easily, unless you have a heart condition. The city is literally built on a very steep mountain top. There's something quite magical about walking around up there at sunset with the one you love. I haven't been back in years but I really look forward to a return visit one day.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:42 PM

Look at Palazzo Bocci in Spello. Great hotel in charming town on your route.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:04 PM
jmv

We decided on a small place just outside Spoleto, Villa Milani. One of the two rooms we booked is 200 euro. The website looks fantastic. Check it out at www.vilamilani.com you can also check the place out and rates, etc. at Italyby.com
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 07:20 PM

Dr, I neglected to ask...do you have any experience driving into any of Italy's hilltowns? Does your time frame include the possiblity of getting lost, driving in circles or the hour it might take to find legal parking? I've been to Todi, Spoleto, and Spello. Perugia, in my opinion, beats all three easily. Perugia has an inexplicable glamour and mystique and much Medieval flair. But I remember Perugia being a nightmare to drive into. However, I was alone, navigating by myself and driving a stick (and I don't mean broom). Frankly, to any novice, ALL of Italy's hilltowns are a nightmare but I tackle them anyway. My balls are huge. You may wish to consider something on the lower plains for sanity sake. Once you check-in and get settled, you can take the car out and explore a hill town or two.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions... I'll certainly check out the various web sites and hotels proffered.

Bob: can you tell me more about Spello please?
NYFC-F-S: thank you for your concern regarding driving into Italian hilltop towns. I've driven in Italy previously -right through the centre of Siena for a laugh and through Cortona and Pienza and Voterra etc. Florence in the rush hour was a hoot: a nun, after i remonstarted with her anonymous vehicle for cutting me up one too many times, lent out of her window and gave me the finger (as I believe you Americans say). So, while thanks for the concern, Italy holds no terrors (yet!... we'll have to see if I can steel myself to tackle the streets of Napoli!)

Again thanks to all contributors, I'll do some more research now, but in the meantime if anyone else would like to share their pearls of wisdom...

Thanks
DrD.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:26 PM
GAC

Spello is delightful, much smaller and quietier than Todi, Perugia and Spoleto, but very tranquil and blessed with three marvellous churches and a couple of excellent hotels, among which Palazzo Bocci in the center of town. It is in between Assisi and Foligno, and parking there is not too difficult. However, if you're looking for more night life, stick to the larger towns.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Well, we have not been to Todi, only to Spoleto. We really loved it. There are buildings from different periods, which makes it a very interesting town - beautiful churches, squares, etc. The town is not very large, nor too small.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:56 PM

Difficult choice. Of the 2, Spoleto. We stayed at Hotel San Luca and had a excellent experience. Within your price range. Of course, Spoleto has a reknowned festival --- when are you going?

Other spots "along the way" that are obviously Assisi (wonderful) Gubbio (Hotel Relais Ducale) and Rieti (Hotel Villa Potenziani). BTW The latter must be one of the best hotel buys in Italy --- top of a hill with extensive gardens, huge pool, great views and lovely rooms. (We paid approx L. 220,000 3 or so years ago --- I think thats 130 Euros?)
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Doctor, doctor,..
Knowing the region pretty well, I can only second NYCFS's suggestion for Perugia.
Maybe, you want to be a bit further south than Perugia on your way to the Amalfi coast? Ok, but then, before considering Todi or Spoleto, I would consider to go and stay in Orvieto.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:25 AM

I also adore Orvieto!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies... there I was tossing up between Todi & Spoleto and now Perugia, Spello, Orvieto, Gubio, Rieti and more have been tossed into the salad.

I'm not complaining!

Thank you, as well for the particular hotel recommendations.

More research required! I'll let you know....