stay in Spello or Assisi

Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stay in Spello or Assisi

We're making a brief stop to see Assisi during our Italy trip in May. We have a reservation for 1 night at Hotel Umbra in Assisi, but in reading the Fodor's guide, we're intrigued about staying in Spello. The restaurants in Spello sound great. Would it be better to stay in Spello and drive or take the train to Assisi, or just stay the whole time in Assisi to really soak up the ambiance?
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're only staying one night, and your goal is to see Assisi, then I'd stay in Assisi. Don't miss the archeological excavations under the Piazza del Comune (near the Hotel Umbra).

Spello is charming and does have some interesting restaurants, but it is a bit too quiet at night for me.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 04:40 AM

Can't comment on Spello but we spent 2 nights in Assisi this summer, wished we'd spent 3 as there was too much to see in one full day, and would go back. I thought it was the most beautiful, unspoilt Italian town I've seen in my many visits there.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM

It is kinda of nutty to even consider to forego Assisi for Spello There are many great restaurants in Assisi, many as part of hotel establishments. May is an AWESOME month to visit Assisi, the almond trees are in bloom, just spectacular. Please, just cease and desist to even consider this crazy idea
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I have been to both. There is much more to see do in Assisi than Spello. Yes Spello is a nice side trip from Assisi, if you are staying in Assisi for a few days. You can see all of Spello in about 1 hour or 2. If you are making a brief stop at Assisi I would spend night in Assisi. There is a very nice restaurant close to our hotel. Assisi is wonderful early in the morning. Walk up towards Rocca for wonderful view and it is just you and the birds, very quiet.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Hotel Umbra is a good choice--stayed there in May '04 and really liked it.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
GAC

FYI there is also local bus service connecting Spello and Assisi which can be more convenient than taking the train (and having to connect to the city bus go reach Assisi proper).

If the bus schedules between Spello and Assisi are convenient, I would take the bus (at least in one direction).
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies and great advice. We would appreciate any favorite restaurant suggestions. Happy Holidays to all, and hopes for a wonderful and peaceful 2009.