Search

Toilets in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toilets in Italy

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are taking our first 2-week trip to Italy in 12 days We are going to Rome, Pompeii, Florence, Pisa, Sienna, and Venice. I have heard and read some stories about the turkish toilets in Italy. Are they still fairly common there? And are the toilets clean? Thank you very much.

clok
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:23 AM

We never encountered any Turkish toilets in Florence or Venice, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Otherwise, we found the cafe, restaurant, and public pay restrooms to be overall clean...some more so than others, of course.

Wishing you the best on your trip, clok!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:29 AM

They're around but there are much more regular toilettes. Actually, I prefer the Turkish toilettes. Just wear a skirt. I can tell you definitely San Gim has them.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Stalia and Ann1: Thank you very much for your advise...

clok
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Here is a tip that helped us out a lot especially traveling with two little ones. Buy several travel packs of toilet seat covers avail. at Target. I also carried tiny packs of Charmin and Kleenex packs. Public toilets are a challange to find in Italy and when you do find them often it is shocking. I used to live in Florence so I know where every decent restroom is in town. Bar Gili across from the Savoy in Pza. Della Republica has a newly renovated restroom with attendent. Avoid at all costs the restrooms at the department store Coin. I am still recovering from that one. Forget about finding one on the Ponte Vecchio all together. There is a law that the shops there are not allowed to have toilets. I used to work there and I won't even go into what they do. Good luck.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Oh, c'mon, Calamari! Enquiring minds want to know. Pray tell.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:26 AM

Calamari is right....

We found one of those toilets that are basically holes in the ground at the Palazzo Vecchio. They are awful. Maybe it's ok for the guys but it is very undesirable for the ladies.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Use toilets in museums, churches, or restaurants before exiting. If all else fails, find the nearest McDonalds or Burger King. Always have tissue with you just in case. We never encountered any Turkish toilets in Rome, Florence or Venice but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:06 AM

The plumbing in Italy is always a challenge and part of the charm. I have encountered 7 various flushing mechanisms--it is comical.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 02:49 PM

One thing to remember:Try the restaurants or cafes. I used to feel awkward if I was not a patron, but in my experience, there has never been a problem in simply asking for the toilet when nature calls. I would do this instead of using the public bathrooms which can be wretched!! I did use the toilet in Coin in Florence. No worse than most, but I think it was coed. Oh well, we tend to be more squeamish than the Italians.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never, ever, ever pass up an available toilet in Italy because they can be very hard to find! A couple of cafes refused to let us use their toilet as we were not customers but usually you can slip in and no one notices. Always take some tissues with you. And no, they are usually not clean, often no seat and in bars there is usually one unisex toilet. We found Venice the best for public toilets, they have installed quite a few that are 50 euro cents to use, fully automated and very clean. Turkish toilets seem to be more common in the smaller towns.
Kay
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:29 AM

A misnomer on the Ponte Vecchio---
My husband LEFT me in a jewelry store for about 2 hours ( not hard to take) and yes, they let me use their nice ladies room...

Also, I was in the middle of purchasing some jewelery in another shop on the Ponte Vecchio and the owner DID let me use the facilites...

Both times , the owners were very gracious and accomodating....BUT these were NOT public toilets....
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 07:18 AM
shanrath

While a student living in Florence and traveled all over northern and central Italy, I have one recommendation: bring change for use of restrooms. Many places do charge for use, including some train stations.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Encountered one of those (what a shock being the first encounter!) at the cathedral of St. Anthony in Padua.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:30 PM
lyb

In two weeks in Italy, I saw ONE Turkish toilet, all the other public bathrooms across the entire country were very clean, in fact, MUCH cleaner than bathrooms in the USA.

In additional to the public bathrooms, most cafes/bars will let you use their bathrooms even if you buy the smallest little items.

Don't be worried, you'll find plenty of regular and clean bathrooms in Italy.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Just returned from Paris and Venice a couple of days ago. Encountered Turkish toilets too many times in both cities, usually in restaurants. Used one pay toilet in Venice that was very clean for 50 cents. When possible, wander into a high end hotel and look like you belong there. Use the public restroom and then leave. I did this several times and no one said anything to me.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Andy

Yes, some of the shops on the PV have toilets. They are usually the shops at the ends of the bridge. Restrooms are prohibited as ALL of the water and raw sewage goes directly into the Arno. Makes you feel sorry for the poor sods you can see in little boats fishing. On more than one occassion I saw a few get more than they bargined for. Most shops resort to the old pail and bleach method and toss the contents out the window and into the river. Once in a while the vigili come around to make sure everyones toilet is locked up if they have one. My old boss (he owns 8 of the 21 shops) paid many a bribe to have them look the other way. You must have been spending some real money for them to allow you to utilize their facilities.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 02:56 PM

I still don't understand how a civilization that has been around for thousands of years still can't figure out how to install toilet seats. Blows my mind... Do think that the foot lever/pedal thing on the sinks is clever, though. No germs from touching the faucets!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Not all tourist use the sink to wash "their hands". Just thought I would add that bit since you are germ intolerent just like me.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 05:46 PM

What is a Turkish toilet?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -