To Prauge or not ???

Search

To Prauge or not ???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Prauge or not ???

I am planning a trip in late Sept/early October timeframe. Round trip flight will be from Munich. Fist couple of days we will see Munich before Oktoberfest. The last couple days we will see Munich during Oktoberfest. The majority of our trip will be spent in Germany (Munich and Fussen) Austria (Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna)

My question is, we have planned 16 days for this trip and there is SOOO much to see in Bavaria and Austria. We had originally planned to attempt to make it to Prauge for 3 days as well. Since Prauge is 4 hours train from Vienna, should we just skip Prauge and invest our time on other regions within Austria, such as staying in Graz, or day trips to Melk and Kerns?

I realize Prauge is a must see, but only having 16 days, i just feel we wont give Prauge proper justice. Please help in this planned trip.

Thanks,

GreekGazoo...
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:06 PM

I loved Prague, and plan to return one of these days, so it is well worth a visit, in my opinion. Having said that, I'm of the 'slow traveler" mindset, and I think that you could easily spend 10 days seeing Austria (2 days Salzburg, 3-4 days driving to Vienna, seeing Hallstat,etc. along the way, then 4 days in Vienna, then another couple driving back towards Munich on the northern route). If you are willing to cut a few days out of that (or out of the Germany portion), then I think 3-4 days in Prague would be great!

Anne
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM

I'm thinking of taking an overnight trip from Berlin to Prague.

Shocking thing is the old town is more expensive than Berlin. They want at least $30 a night for parking too.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
JN

you might consider skipping Innsbruck if you decide to visit Prague. The reviews of Innsbrucke here are mixed, whereas the reviews of Prague are almost universally positive.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM

I think it is worth it but we did prague (4 days), cesky krumlov (3 days), salzburg (3 days), vienna (5 days) and munich (2 days) in 17 days and could have easily shaved one day from Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov but Prague was just wonderful. Saying that we could have done in 3 days, so I would fit in if you could - it is magical.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Go on do Prague you can do most of it in 3 days.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM
ira

Hi GG,

I would choose Prague over Innsbruck.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM
ira

PS,

Why not fly into Munich and out of Prague?

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
kja

I also loved Prague - but, like AnneO, I think you could easily spend all your time in the worthy destinations you've already planned to see. Because Innsbruck gets mixed reviews, I'll mention that I really enjoyed the one day I spent there many years ago. The views from Mt. Hafelekar were magnificent! Hope that helps.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:51 AM

>I'm thinking of taking an overnight trip from Berlin to Prague.

The day train only needs about 4 h, so I wouldn´t expect overnight trains on this route.

>Shocking thing is the old town is more expensive than Berlin. They want at least $30 a night for parking too.

Prague is BY FAR more touristy than Berlin. These are the results.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Here is my planned Itinerary stating Sept 17th, we only have 16 DAYS. We want to experience some of the small cities and life outside the hustle and bustle of the major cities, thus so many small cities. My dilemma is how to get to Prague during this trip. (or if what we have planned is good enough and Prague should be a separate trip of its own)

Here is the current itinerary -->

2 days stay in MUNICH
- sightsee Munich before Oktoberfest

4 days stay in MITTENWALD
- 1 day to Fussen/Castles
- 1 day in Mittenwald
- 1 day to split Garmisch-Partenkirchen/Oberammergau
- 1 day Innsbruck

2 days stay in SALZBURG

5 days stay in VIENNA
- 3 days to sightsee Vienna
- 1 day to Melk & Krems
- 1 day to Bratislava

2 days back in MUNICH
- experience OKTOBERFEST

that leaves only ONE extra day...we need at least 3 to see PRAGUE, then you have to consider train travel time and such.

Thanks in advance for you assistance,

GreekGazoo
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I hope you have already booked the hotel for the Octoberfest time.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
kja

Sounds like a great trip to me!

To plan for your remaining day, you might want to check the specific days you'll be in various places against the opening hours of anything you want to see. I sometimes find that doing so solves my planning questions, for example, if I find that the one day I thought I'd be somewhere is the one day everything there is closed. I also make sure I know the train or bus hours (if that's how I'm traveling) to make sure I really have the time I think I'll have.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM

I haven't been to Prague (yet) so I can't really comment on that end, but there is certainly enough to see in Germany and Austria. I have learned the hard way not to travel too quickly. I think your itinerary looks great the way it is.

With that being said, I think you could cut off a day in Mittenwald (the castles won't take a whole day and Mittenwald shouldn't either) and I personally think Innsbruck is skippable (the only part of our trip to that area that I did not like, although this is just my opinion).

Personally I would keep your itinerary the way it is or perhaps use the extra night or two for the Salzkammergut or Berchtesgaden region near Salzburg. I absolutely think Prague would be worth 3-4 nights, but I wouldn't want to rush the rest of my trip just to fit it in. There is more than enough to do in the areas that you will be visiting.

Tracy
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU....tcreath & kja...GREAT advice
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM

As Tracy suggested, I'd take a couple days off Mittenwald and skip Innsbruck. But I'd also consider skipping Bratislava if it means you can spend time in Prague. Prague is wonderful. Unless you planning another trip to the area, I'd try to include it.