Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To Drive or Not to Drive....THAT is the Question!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In searching for a B & B, I'm finding some lovely places outside of Vienna but I'm noticing that many are not right in a town or city.

We want to visit Vienna & other cities/towns as well, as we have 3 weeks.

We had thought about renting a car for the whole trip, but this is our first time in Europe. Many have suggested taking a train/bus to the cities we want to see, & then walking around, which is fine by us.

I'm now just wondering if some of the B & B's are abit too far out of the way from transportation & so perhaps we should rent a car, if only to get from house to a train station...what do you think?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:11 AM

We love driving whilst we are in Europe because of the freedom it offers. However, I would never do it if your main focus of the holiday is a major city. We drive because we spend most of our time in the countryside.

Driving is a big city is a major hassle and can be quite stressful. With the scenario you are proposing, you would be using the car to get in and out of Vienna day, thus having to cope with the traffic (possibsly peakhour), unfamiliar streets, getting lost and finding parking each day. You would probably still end up paying for public transport as well because everything will not be within walking distance of where you parked the car.

I would be choosing a B&B which is actually in Vienna or near to public transport. If you want, when you are leaving Vienna you can pick up a car to spend some time in the countryside. If you are moving straight onto another major city, once again I wouldn't bother.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:13 AM

I haven't spent much time in Austria, imcanadian, but it is very lovely.

If you're staying at B&Bs I would say a car would be a good idea. I spent a day in the Salzammergut (spelling??) and the roads seemed very driveable. There didn't seem to be a lot of mass transit in the small towns, maybe a bus that came by every so often.

I driving would be fairly easy in the countryside. I'd stay away from a car in a major city (which I'm sure you know).

CY
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:28 AM
ira

Hi im,

Will you actually save money by staying in a B&B outside a major city and taking public transportation into town while paying a daily rate for a rental car that just sits?

Ditto for driving into the city and paying for parking.

What's your itinerary?

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd suggest staying IN Vienna, and taking day trips by train, and then renting a car if you want to spend some time in the countryside. There are several pensions in the inner city - I'll be staying in one right on the Graben - www.pension-nossek.at.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:14 AM

This all depends on how you do the rest of the travels and where Vienna lies in your itinerary. If Vienna is in the middle of your itinerary and you plan to travel by car, you can park your car on the street beyond the outer ring and not have to worry about limited parking. That is what I did, right on a street car line so that I had no problems getting back to the center and had no problems taking my luggage to the car at the end of my stay.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:19 AM

I also think you need to be clear on why you want to stay in a B&B in the country, if your main goal is to visit the city. With three weeks, you have plenty of time to do both, and I would also suggest you figure out an itinerary maybe where you don't have to have the rental car while in the city. That wouldn't be too hard to do if Vienna is the main big city on your itinerary -- just put it at the beginning or end of your trip.

With three weeks, you could use a car for part of that period -- maybe one week or 10 days -- to see some more rural parts.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Hi I think Ira hit the nail in the head, while visiting Vienna, a car is an extra big daily and not useful expense. Add the rental, the insurance, the gas, the parking....for something you do not reall need in the city. If you wish a car to visit the country side or to get elsewhere renti it the day you are leaving Vienna.
To save in your lodging of course the better the location most likely it will cost more.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Of course, if the B&B is in the Grinzig area, downtown Vienna is only a streetcar ride away and taking that ride will give you the opportunity of seeing neighborhoods that you would otherwise never see.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:16 AM

We stayed at Pension Suzanne in the heart of Vienna (walking distance to everything except the Schonnbrunn).
http://www.pension-suzanne.at/english/lage.htm

It was very comfortable & clean. The breakfast was excellent as well.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Seeing all of Austria while staying in Vienna - even the suburbs - in day trips is just not reasonable.

If you want to see Vienna I wold stay as close to the center as possible. Similarly for the other cities - stay as close to the center as possible.

Whether to use train or car depends on your preference (do you enjoy driving or not) and how many small towns/villages you want to see. This is easier by car than by train.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Good Morning!

I want to thank all you so very much for the information, suggestions & advice!

We have now decided...in great part due to all the info here...to stay in Vienna indeed, & perhaps rent a car near the end of our holiday. If not, that's fine, we will travel by train to a couple of other bigger cities/towns & hopefully will be able to come back to Austria another time, to leisurely drive to various smaller towns.

Again, thanks so very much...you have no idea how invaluable all your input has been for us!