Cesky Krumlov - Vienna (Car or Train)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling from CK to Vienna and would appreciate it if somebody can tell us how many hours is it by train or car. Will it be a good idea to drive, being our only reason is if the countryside is worth it? Btw, this is the only chance we have to drive during a 10-day vacation in Prague & vienna (we always drive at least 1 segment whenever we vacation in Europe). Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:44 AM

It is quite good driving countryside, with low hills, old owns, and no cities. By train it is simple and takes 4 ? to 6 hours. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook Europoean Timetable. Tables 990 and 1132 have your trains
Vienna Frans Josefs Bahnhof 0705, Gmund 0921 to 0926, Ceske Budejovice 1023
Vienna Frans Josefs Bahnhof 0905, Gmund 1121 to 1131, Ceske Velenice 1135 o 1146, Ceske Budejovice 1252
Vienna Frans Josefs Bahnhof 1305 (Friday 1405) Gmund 1521 to 1635, Ceske Budejovice 1752
The railway station and bus station at Ceske Budejovice lie across the road from each other, and you reach Cesky Krumlov in forty minutes by one or another, or thirty by taxi.

[email protected]
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:21 PM
rex

Well, now, this is a switch - - Ben favorable towards going by car - - and me less so.

Made this exact drive in May of this year (driving onward to Graz), and I thought it was scarcely the kind of drive that would make it worth your while to have a car.

Theoretically, you could go to Melk, but that will make for a rather full day.

Have you confirmed that you would not encounter a hefty drop charge to rent a car in CR and return it in Austria?

And one day car rentals are hardly ever a good deal.

I think that the train is a winner in this question, or at least a dead-even tie.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I got the well-traveled Ben & Rex answering my questions. Thanks a lot, gentlemen. I did check about returning the car in Vienna and I was told, I can for an additional fee. If I take the train, does it mean I have to back track to Ceske Budejovice? Then, maybe the more I should drive than train? Thanks, again.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

If train vs. car to Vienna will be a tie, will somebody suggest someplace to drive in neighboring Prague countryside. We just thought that that our European vacation is not complete without driving even for just a day. How about Prague to CK? Thanks again.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:00 PM
rex

Not to splash cold water on your intentions, but I don't remember the drive from Prague to CK as memorable either. Maybe go exploring in the direction of Kutna Hora (haven't been there personally).

We enjoyed going to the Silesia area of Poland (a small pensjonat at www.nostalgia.ch) and part of a day at Jelenia Gora. The drive was "average", I guess. But it is the wrong direction from Prague, if you are headed back towards Vienna.

Be forewarned; we found English essentially non-existent in this area of Poland. Even German was quite rarely spoken.