Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this Central-Eastern Europe plan crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (two teen-age boys, husband and I) will be attending a University graduation in Bratislava in June. Since will will be there, I thought we should show the boys (first time Europe)more than Bratislava. Would Krakow, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and the Kosice, Spiz area of Slovakia be too much of an undertaking for two teenagers? Can you give recommedation as to what would be a reasonable amount of time to do this? And, if something should go, what would you seasoned travellers let go first. Thanks again for your always helpful advice. Suse.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:50 AM

We did almost this same trip last summer. We landed in Vienna, then drove to Budapest, Koscice, Bardejov, and Prague. We didn't get to Bratislava but that is very near Vienna. We were supposed to go to Krakow over the mountains from Bardejov but wanted more time in Bardejov since my grandfather's village was near there. We allowed 3 wks for this trip. Teenagers should be up to such a trip.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bedar. One question I had was should we rent a car or take the train? I see you drove and that was my first choice also, although we will probably take the train from Bratislava to Vienna. I think the boys need that experience, also. Agian, thanks.
Suse
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:52 AM

We rented a car thru Auto Europe. Picked it up in Vienna and dropped it off in Prague. Even with the drop off charge it was reasonable, and we got a dynamite Mitsubishi diesel (cheaper than gas and just as powerful). A car gives one more freedom, and after reading about all the pickpockets etc. on the trains and around the stations, I decided against this. But, Bratislava to Vienna might not be bad.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

What did you do clothing wise? I don't want to be lugging around all that much for four people, but am not sure about the laundry thing!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:11 PM

As usual, we took too much. And, one favors certain pieces of clothing !Laundries at hotels are reasonable and fast. Vienna will be the most expensive place on your trip, but it's at the beginning so save your laundry for when you get out of the euro-zone !!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You haven't said how long you'd be, what your interests are (or the boys), nor Why Spis?
IF time were unlimited, and IF boys were completely open, and IF Spis region were as much a must as the more urban areas, then I'd be sure to include thw wooden churches in Eastern Slovakia. Why? Because by dint of going in that region, they'd see a culture from a previous era. To see the difference between US and Slovak farming. Betwenn US and Slovak industries. Between our towns. Cultural attractions. Between teen attractions/activities in both places. In short, to appreciate the attributes (and detriments) of both cultures. Ideally, would require some preparation/education prior to trip.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Without knowing how long you will spend there, I can't really comment knowledgeably. But if you do plan to go to all the places you named, and if you want to spend a few days in each place, you are looking at a trip of about 3 weeks' duration....If you have only a couple of weeks or less, it might be best to stick with a group of 3 places -- for instance, Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest. Or you could go for Bratislava, Vienna, and Prague. Getting out into the country, as tomboy suggested, is great for the kids and the grownups. It's probably best to decide how long a time you will have, then come back to this forum for more specific recommendations. There are lots of regulars to this forum who (like me) really like that part of Europe. Good luck.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to All.
Tomboy and Wayne...I didn't specify a time since I've not really done this type of thing before! Three weeks might be possible, But we may only be able to get two.

My family likes the city, but also appreciates the country. I asked about the Spis region specifically for the wooden churches! I alone have been to Bratislava and Vienna and would be interested in seeing some more of Slovakia; it sounds like the rest of the country is different from Brat. I like your idea about comparing US farming and industry to Slovakia's. My very American children would benefit from that.

From all of your advice, I am beginning to think that my original plan might be too much of an undertaking! I know that this is a matter of preference, but if you had to choose between Prague and Budapest, which would be the wisest choice?

We are used to places like NYC, Toronto,etc., so we wouldn't need to go for that kind of experience. I think what I'd like to expose the boys to would be something TOTALLY different from the US, (yet still safe!) Vienna will offer that close to the US feel, plus I HAVE to get another hot dog from the street vendor and have cake at the Cafe Demel!

So...Budapest or Prague?
Thanks again to all.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to Prague, but not Budapest.
Thought it was great, though. Its castle makes Neuschwanstein (sp?)look like the Township Corn Festival compared to Disneyworld. If ya can only see one castle, let it be Prague's.
I know many posters would decry this, but the wooden churches are only 4-6 hours from Bratislava if that (see michelin.com for sure). You could leave Brat at 8 AM, haul north to the autobahn-ova, go east past the Tatras in the distance(they're OK) to the Bardejov area to see the churches in the afternoon, and back on the bahn toward the Czech Republic to catch their autobahn. Stop to see the Spis castle on the way.Any extra time is only a plus. The Kulture Kontrast is quite remarkable. I saw a horse-drawn lumber wagon made from logs which could have been from 1300 AD. If the boys are so gifted that they could appreciate the difference, it might provide a valuable opportunity to discuss mid-20th century history, economics, etc, and to count your/our blessings.
Summer '02 wife & I did a week in Bavaria, a week in Cz Rep (incl 2 day/3 nite Prague), a week in Bavaria.
Summer '03 we did 3 days Vienna, 3-4 in Slov Rep, 10 days Cz Rep (no Prague)
Covered a lot of miles, saw a lot. Did we miss a lot? Sure, but now there's something left for next time. PS at one wooden church (probably 10 mi from Ukraine) we were gawking at the building when caretaker came over from where he had been haying (with scythe, as in 1750). He spoke no English, we no Slovak, somehow he communicated the history of church to us. Interesting!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:45 PM

We did a similar trip in Sept. We flew to Krakow, then rented a car and drove thru Slovakia and Hungary to Vienna for 17 nts total(4 in Krakow, 2 in Zakopane,1 each in Presov and Kosice, 4 in Budapest, 2 in Sopron & 3 in Vienna). Of the possibilities you mention, since you are committed to Bratislava, I would forego Vienna although it is lovely (and also easily the most expensive of your possibles). I would also suggest that you eliminate Prague. I have not been there and it is very popular with posters here. However, if you want to visit the Spis area, IMO it makes more sense to combine that with Budapest and Krakow than it does to reverse direction to include Prague. For your teenagers (and you), seeing Auschwitz-Birkenau near Krakow would be memorable. You can do the trip in less time than we took by eliminating Sopron and Zakopane and adding time in Kosice as suits your interests.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:53 AM
tec

I would choose Budapest over Prague any day. Although Prague IS beautfiul, it has become SOOOO touristy. So if you're going for more of a cultural experience I would choose Hungary (and spend some time at the baths!). I spent a year in Vienna and miss the cafes - if you are in Vienna for more than one day, I would also check out cafe Diglas (should be listed in guidebooks and is off of Stephansplatz) because I think it is a close second to Demel.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your great advice. I think that we will do Vienna (three days), Bratislava (3 days) for the graduation and sightseeing, Budapest(2 days)and then the other regions of Slovakia (4 days?)with an overnight again in Vienna. This will also work for the flights, since I can go in and out of Vienna. Do you think two nights is enough for Budapest? A car would also be best for traveling, right?

I think we will save Poland, Germany and Czech Republic for another visit. I only I had all the time in the world......!

Thanks,
Suse
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:20 PM

If you can add another day or two in Budapest, you won't be disappointed. There is so much to see and do there.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:01 PM

Yes, two days in Budapest is adequate. Try to stay in the Castle District - much more picturesque and old-world.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:04 PM

Forgot to mention, if you get to Bardejov which is the main town in the region of the wooden churches, stay at the Hotel Bellevue.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

You guys are great! With the hotel suggestions, I will save time on trying to choose a place!! I want some place fancy for Vienna (Bristol,perhaps) will stay at the Carlton in Bratislava (not great, but not much else!) then a Castle District hotel in Budapest and the Hotel Bellvue in the church regions of Slovakia. I am really looking forward to this trip and will tell you all about it on my return!