COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Tivoli Gardens

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Tivoli Gardens

I will be in Copenhagen only for the day with my teenage daughter and am trying to decide whether it makes sense to go to Tivoli Gardens at all or to just enjoy walking through the city, etc. Any ideas as to what to do in Copenhagen - it will be in August.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Read Percy's trip report - gives you a wonderful overview of Copenhagen http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35060844
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:36 AM

Tivoli is quite nice if you have never been. However, it is relatively expensive to get into and would not consume a whole day. If you aren't on too tight of a budget, I would probably include it.

As for what else to do. I wouldn't say that there are too many "must-see" museums or anything like that, so I would probably just walk around. The Stroget is the main pedestrianized shopping street and is probably worth a ramble. A bite to eat or a drink outside on Nyhavn can be quite nice if the weather is good. From Nyhavn, you could also grab a canal tour, which would give you a bit of an overview and let you catch a glimpse of the Little Mermaid, the Opera house, etc.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi 4,

>..go to Tivoli Gardens at all or to just enjoy walking through the city,...<

Given the choice, I would spend the whole day at Tivoli.

Will you be able to be there in the evening, after the lights go on?

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:49 AM

This summer , also in August, I'll be in Copenhagen also for a day with my children (14, 19). I can't wait to get to Tivoli. Eventhough I have been there twice , to me it's a really nice way to spend the evening and I think the kids will like it.

For lunch , I agree, one of the cafes in Nyhavn is a prefect idea.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Unlike many others, we don't enjoy just wandering around--but the canal tour was fun and a good way to give our feet a break in the middle of the day. I agree with the recommendations to see Tivoli ion the evening.

During the day, we liked:
National Museum
Round Tower
Resistance Museum
Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (art museum)
Rosenberg Castle
Christiansborg Palace
Amalienborg Palace and the changing of the guard
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 07:13 AM

for just one day , I would not bather with Tivoli at all. Much to see in the city.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM

sorry ..bother
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Are you staying the night in Copenhagen? If so go to Tivoli at night. It is all lit up. There are many places to eat both fast and restaurant service. And at around 11:00 or so there will be some kind of show. One year it was incredible fireworks over the pond. Two years ago the show was a parade of huge, illuminated puppets representing characters from the fairy tales of Hans Christian Anderson. It was unlike anything I've seen here.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM

You don;t go to Tivoli during the day you go in the evening. We went twice - each time having dinner in a nice place, went on a couple of rides - but enjoyed mostly just strolling the beautifully lit areas, listening to the music and watching the fireworks as the park closes.

(This isn;t an amusement park focusing on rides in the American sense, but a pleasure garden in the old-fashioned european sense - with game booths, little shows, gardens and just general prettiness and charm.

Save the day time for regular sightseeing.