Notices

24 hours in Copenhagen

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 hours in Copenhagen

My family will spend 24 hours in Copenhagen in July and would love to hear anyones opinion on what to see? I am thinking Tivoli, the Mermaid, Stroget (? the walking street) Also the yummyiest pastry shop for wienerbrod and other delicious pastries? I wish we were there longer, but this is it!
thank you
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The mermaid is a waste of time.

There are lots of good museums in Copenhagen. Depends on what kinds of things you like though...
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a boat trip through the canals. It's about an hour long and you'll get to see the highlights of Copenhagen. Also agree the mermaid is a waster of time--though you may be able to see it from the boat.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You pretty much have the plan. During the day, stoll up Stroget, visiting the Round Tower if you like (a block or so off the walking street). I generally get wienerbrod in the bakery in the basement of the department store on Stroget---on the left as you walk towards the Mermaid. The name escapes me (Magasin???) but it's obvious. They have a lovely modern food court with many specialty food shops there, including great pastries. Then continue on to the Mermaid, which is actully very small but makes a good goal for a walk. Other things you can see and do on this walk are Castellet (sp?), the fortifications in the area of the Mermaid; the very moving Danish Resistance Museum (a must on every trip for me), the Amalielenborg palace, and Nyhavn, a line of old shops and restaurants along a famous canal. You can get a waffle cone there for refreshment.

Save Tivoli for evening, when it is lit up. If you can stay up that late, they do fireworks at midnight (not sure if it's every night, though).

There are good places for dinner at Nyhavn and Tivoli.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't miss Tivoli !! I was there 10 years ago and I still miss it ! want to go back !