The Paris Pass

Nov 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

The Paris Pass

Has anyone heard about or used this pass while in Paris? If it is good would like to try to get this before I leave next month, one less thing to worry about. Thanks.
Nov 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Are you referring to the paris museum pass?

If so it is very useful but you don't need to get it before you leave, just pick up when you get there. I get mine at a less busy museum late in the afternoon but you can get it at many places
Nov 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM

There are two different passes. The Paris Pass http://www.parispass.com/ and the Paris Museum Pass http://en.parismuseumpass.com/. They are quite different. The Paris Museum pass is the better way to go if just visiting museums.
Nov 12th, 2010, 12:32 PM

I've heard of it, it's got quite a few things on it and looks like a good deal IF they are things you are really interested in doing (eg, wine tasting).
Nov 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Lordy, for that amount of money you would have to really keep moving to justify the cost.
Nov 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM

We found that the Museum Pass was perfect for us this past Feb. We did find that we got more than our money's worth out of the Museum Pass so for us it worked out well. And we are not the kind of people who can spend whole days going from one museum to another, but with the pass we could do a leisurely walk through without feeling we had to see everything to get our money's worth.

We loved that we could go to museums we might not have chosen if we had to pay the 20€ for both of us, we would not have gone to the Pompidou Center without the pass since we don't like modern art, but found there were exhibits there we enjoyed. We also liked zipping to the front of the line, even though the lines were short in Feb. We also loved that we could go back to a favorite a second time if we so chose.

Since we used only 4 carnet for 40€ for our metro and bus travel for the whole 6 days the Museum pass and the Carnet were a better choice for us than the much more expensive Paris Pass. It was good to know that the same metro ticket could be used again within 90 minutes for an additional bus ride or the funicular in Mont Martre, that saved us a bit here and there.
Nov 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM

The Museum & Monuments Pass can be a great deal for some visitors.

But the other 'Paris Pass' is a rip off for most folks. It is very similar to the London Pass - it looks like a great bargain because of alllllll those sites. But in practice, to get to enough of the covered sites to pay for the cost in the short period, one has to hit the ground running and not take a breath. The 2 day pass costs €97 - and the 4 day-er is €134 (on SALE no less!!) There is no way you could recoup that much in those short time frames.

Just like the London Pass - they overwhelm you w/ places - most of which you can't squeeze in.
Nov 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

So it would be better to get the museum pass and the Navigo Decouverte for the week I am going to be there. From the 12 Dec to 19 Dec 2010. Just finding a price I can live with and still enjoy myself.
Nov 13th, 2010, 03:22 AM

Depending on how much you'll use the metro and buses it may be cheaper to buy a carnet of 10 tickets rather than the Decouverte pass. I never even use 10 tickets in a week. You'll need to buy metro tickets for the first day you're there anyway since the Decouverte pass begins on Monday.
Nov 13th, 2010, 03:37 AM

The Museum Pass is indeed a good value, and you still need to organize your time to see several museums in a given period of time. My remark was directed to the Paris Pass--ridiculous.
I would indeed purchase the Navigo and learn to use the buses. And maybe particularly since it may be cold and you might not want to walk as much. We love the buses, seeing the stores as we pass--and maybe even getting out to shop or walk. It is true it starts on Monday. You might just buy individual rides on the Metro/bus for that one day, not even a carnet.
Nov 13th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

The museum pass I think I will go for as i just looked over my list of places I want to go to with the time I have. Now the transit pass, I had always used the regula paris visite since I was there only like 2 and half days and we metro happy. I figure I will be useing busses more this time. And of course the weather will dictate my movements
Nov 13th, 2010, 04:31 AM

You'll still need to buy a carnet for use on the 12 and 13th. The Navigo Decouverte is good Mondays thru Sunday. I still find it a gret deal as I use buses to get between places rather than walking. I've not found the museum pass a good deal. But then I don't like spending all day everyday in museums and some days I don't want to go to a museum at all. There are ways to bypass long lines without the pass.
Nov 13th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Well the group I planned the trip with is giving up at least one carnet so i assume it is for the 12th. The 13th is the full bus tour aobut the city then the rest of the week is mine. The way I attempted to list the things I want to see some will take a half a day and some shorter, but that is just me.