The new Ryanair CON

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:34 AM
pnestor

The new Ryanair CON

Ryanair are now going to start charging extra for ALL checked bags. I found this out, while talking with a check in clerk on my recent trip with them.

So condense what you need into a carry on, right! WRONG!

Not if your carry on has wheels! Ryanair now consider all wheeled bags as ?not suitable as carry on?, so you have to check any bags with wheels, no matter what size. This is obviously in preparation for the charging checked luggage con. They are going to limit entirely what you can take in the cabin to force you to check your bags and make money out your frustration. They are also, if recent press releases are to believed, going to reduce the size of bags permitted in the cabin.

The idea of penalising people for handling their bags can almost be understood if you believe that Ryanair sell themselves as a point to point airline only, pick you up, dump you out. It?s not, as they would have you believe, that they are streamlining their business so that they can achieve quicker turn arounds. It is that they know that passengers are going to have to take luggage with them and they are going to make a killing charging for it, and the NO WHEELS on carry on bags is a way of ensuring that the majority of passenger bags will have to checked, no matter how small.

FREE or low cost travel with Ryanair?? Certainly not free form stress, certainly not free from frustration. I would liken the experince of travelling with Ryanair as to travelling as freight! Flew them last week from Newcastle and just simply have had enough! No more!

The low cost does not justify the sub standard, oppresive way in which they treat passengers. I have only experienceed that passengers are treated as an annoyance by staff.

Going away is supposed to be about enjoying all aspects of the experience, Ryanair make the travel to and from, what for many is supposed to be a relaxing holiday/get away, an overly stressful, frustrating experience.

Low cost, no frills, no way to enjoy travel!!

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:26 AM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi pn,

You can always go 1 cl on a major airline.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:31 AM

You've no idea how much it pains me to suggest you're probably talking through your hat.

Yes, assuming any initiave from Ryanair is aimed at squueezing cash out of us is a reasonable startoff.

But it's the absolute opposite of the truth to claim that "They are also going to reduce the size of bags permitted in the cabin". It's only a few weeks since Ryanair announced they were increasing cabin limits. And every announcement since then has been about persuading people to bring more into the cabin.

So what's the evidence for the rest of this rant? A piece of chitchat from an employee.Which may be right, wrong, or invented out of malice because she's just had her payrise turned down.

Have you ever worked in any organisation? And heard the utter nonsense staff assert "they" will be doing?

And, BTW, I've never had problems with wheeled bags on Ryanair, and can' find any reference to the policy on their web site.

IF this employee's rumour is true, then I'll join you in burning O'Leary's photo on the steps of Luton airport.

But I really think you should save your breath till there's something more substantial to go on than one piece of tittle-tattle.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:53 AM
pnestor

flanneruk -

I have read many posts and comments from you on this forum, and have always thought your opinions to be throughly sound and reasonable.

I have to admit that yes you are correct this is a rant. It is a rant from someone that has just traveled with Ryanair and has been frustrated for the last time by Ryanair.

I am telling it the way it happened -

"And, BTW, I've never had problems with wheeled bags on Ryanair, and can' find any reference to the policy on their web site."

Believe me when I say I flew from Dublin to Teeside and back last weekend on Ryanair. When I was asked the usual, "did I have anything to check", I showed my small, wheeled suitcase and was told it had to be checked as Ryanair's new policy was not to allow wheeled luggage to be taken on board as carry on. The Service Air check in girl (who doesn't work for Ryanair), had advised me of this.

I will be paying more for my travel in the future, as I do expect a certain level of service and comfort. No frills service should read NO SERVICE.

There end of the rant......

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Pnestor:

Perhaps I should be clearer about which hat you're talking out of.

Yes, Michael O'Leary is dedicated to making customers miserable, and anything presenting itself as a gift horse from Ryanair should be looked at in the mouth. Where you'll find the breath always less than sweet.

There, you're talking straight common sense.

But there's not a shred of evidence - yet - he's going to be charging for bags. It all comes down to what one person - who, it now appears, might not even be working for them - says.

Now, other than selling his grandmother, there's hardly an evil I wouldn't put past Mr O'Leary - and I wouldn't be amazed if we found her marked down to €0.50 (plus the usual taxes and credit card surcharges) on the website one day either. But, right now, we don't know he's going to charge.

And that's where your hat comes into the picture.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 06:48 AM
pnestor

flanneruk -

"And that's where your hat comes into the picture."

I'll remind you to eat yours when he does start charging for checked in baggage.

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Not wanting to interrupt but I had heard about the Ryan air charging for check-in baggage as well. Admittedly, i can't remember where - I have a feeling it was one of the news websites.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:01 AM
LJ

I have to jump in with a word of praise for Ryanair. I live in Canada now and wish to goodness Ryanair would come here so I didn't have to pay the outrageous prices we do to get from one part of our own country to another.

Last year, I lived 20 minutes from one of Ryanair's Italian destinations (Pescara). I flew quickly and efficiently back and forth to Stansted and usually with a smile from the staff.

YES, you have to be a savvy traveller and know what your bags weigh (with or without wheels). But, personally, after 10+ trips with them, I never had to check a thing and even when my bags were slightly over-weight the Italian end NEVER made me pay extra. Admittedly the Stansted staff are stricter, but they do post their policies.

If you think its such a pain packing carefully, try living in a place where you can bring as much as you like but you will pay approximately 3-5 times as much to cover the same distance and without ever leaving your own country!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:12 AM

The point is, though, Ryanair is not currently charging for checked luggage. I did read an article a while back that they might hope to do so at some time in 2005, but if that does indeed happen all travelers will have plenty of warning. If you want to book a Ryanair flight now, you have nothing to worry about in this respect.

In any event, I am doubtful that Ryanair will charge for checked luggage unless EasyJet also does this, because that would be a significant competitive disadvantage and the rivalry between the two is fierce.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Whether they do or not, I don't understand this rant or complaint about whatever they decide to charge. It's a private company whose purpose is to make money, not a charity. They can charge whatever they want for whatever combinations of service they think makes sense for them. If they want to charge people for checking bags, it's a different way of structuring fees -- tickets vs. baggage.

If you don't like it and think it's too expensive, you can travel some other way. Ryanair doesn't owe you anything.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I knew I saw this somewhere recently:

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/arti...9249_1,00.html
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:05 PM
rex

I'm surprised that Fodors doesn't pull this posting since at least potentially, it could be construed as libelous or slanderous; at a minimum, it is an unfounded allegation against this excellent company. The use of the word "CON" presumably means "confidence game" - - a deception or other illegal, fraudulent act.

Is Ryanair "conning" anyone over anything? If a careless passenger chooses to purchase air travel from the company (or any other company), and fails to learn about policies, which are publicly posted, and then complains about surcharges - - well, that is hardly deceptive, and certainly not a "con".

Like LJ, I could only wish that there was more competition in the air travel markets I regularly use, provided by companies like Ryanair.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Rex - well said. I flew Ryanair for the first time this past Feb from Stansted to Rome and had zero problems. Even after taking the Stansted Express I saved over 50% of what I would have paid on BA. What concerns me more is the sad state of the American airline industry. Delta is laying off 7,000 employees, US Air is talking to bankruptcy lawyers (a possible 2nd bankruptcy) and JetBlue one of the very few profitable airlines just lowered their 3rd Qtr. earnings.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Christina - also well said. I meant to add your name to my post.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:43 AM

That's the great thing about freedom of choice...
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:10 AM

Pnestor - I would wait until a definate decision is made. I think they need to look at all the aspects so they do not completely piss off people. I would find this a problem as If I go to Paris or London for a few days I buy things I can't get in Ireland or much cheaper. Don't worry until its official.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM
pnestor

LOL! I was sharing an experience, won't make the same mistake again.