Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus Carryon Limit - How closely do they monitor this?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Debbie

Hi all, <BR> I have a trip planned for March , and was wondering if any of you have flown on Aer Lingus recently. <BR> According to their web site, the carryon limit (coach) is 1 , 9x14x18 bag, plus 1 personal item. <BR><BR> How picky are they on this? Do they measure the bags at the door? <BR> I recently picked up a small rolling duffel - it is 20 inches long. Will I get nailed ? or will it pass muster? <BR><BR>thanks!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:21 AM
kit

Hi,<BR>I travelled with Aer Lingus in December and they didn't seem too strict. They did have the &quot;test your luggage size&quot; container, but they didn't ask anyone in my queue to put their lugagge into it. I had a small rucksack and quite a big shopping bag and they let me on. I have been interrogated on other airlines, but A.L seemed fairly laid back. <BR>Don't know if you've travelled Aer Lingus before, but I have and the last time round was just terrible. Surly staff, huge queue at check in (one desk open) They refused to honour the seat reservations we had made 6months in advance (and which we'd confirmed the week before and which she confirmed were in the system) and the final straw, on the way home, the headset system and the light bulb didn't work- so we couldn't watch tv, listen to music, or read when the lights were dimmed! When I complained to a member of staff she actually said &quot; If I had a penny for all the complaints that we get, I'd be rich&quot; ! Unbelievable. So, if you're travelling from New York to Dublin and have the option of Continental, take it!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Debbie

Thanks for the feed back. <BR><BR>I have travelled with AL before, in 2000, and found the service from Chicago to Dublin/Shannon to be as good or better than other airlines. They did not check carryon's then much either, but with all the new luggage regs, I thought it best to ask. <BR><BR>We had a similar problem on a flight to London from Minneapolis - Northwest. We ended up in the one row on a full plane where the air did not work. I luckily had dressed in layers, but Mom had only a pull on nice sweatshirt. By the time we landed, she was a bit wilted. <BR><BR><BR>Any other's that have recently flown Aer Lingus???

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:55 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Steve

<BR>Anyone else travel on AL recently? I too would like any info on Carry-ons. <BR><BR>thanks.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Laura

I've flown Aer lingus recently.thet took our carry on luggage at the check-in counter.Refused to let us carry it on!What ticked me off the most was when we were boarding,an awful lot of people had carry-ons.Also,forget about a portable c.d. player.That's not allowed on either.I'm going Continental next time.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Debbie

Laura - <BR> Did they give you a reason for not allowing your Carryon? <BR> How big was it? Was it one of those wheeled 'pilot' bags? ( I think most of those are way outside the size limit of 9x14x18) <BR>I had read somewhere that the only personal entertainment they allow on board is cassette players. <BR><BR>I'd be really interested in hearing more about this.<BR><BR>Debbie

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Laura

I recently purchased all new luggage......just to avoid any hassles.And yes,people were boarding with some big things.On the return flight,I got on with my carry-on.They are inconsistant with their baggage policies.After my next trip on Aer Lingus in Feb.,I'll pay the few extra bucks and take Continental.You can bring a cassette recorder on board,helps pass time on long flight

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Susan

We had trouble with Aer Lingus at Shannon Airport (returning to JFK). They were so sticky about the weight of our carry ons (1st time this has ever happened to us) &amp; insisted we check the luggage through.<BR>On the plane, the storage compartments were half empty so we weren't the only ones being denied access to our carry ons.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Christy

I've flown Aer Lingus several times, but always only the short trip between London and Dublin. While the planes were frequently old and a bit shabby, their staff was always friendly, and the carryon was never tested (indeed, barely glanced at when we boarded). I had an overstuffed overnight bag that MAY have fit into that 'guide' they provide, but probably only with some stuffing and grunting... noone blinked an eye, which is good. I usually carry my video camera, film, digital camera, medicines, and all the other stuff I won't trust to checked luggage...

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Debbie

<BR>Laura - I am still interested ( and would love it if you could measure your carry on for me). - Did they tell you why they made you check it on the flight over? Was it due to size or weight? <BR>What airport were you at? <BR>It seems most of the problems are <BR>through New York, so maybe my flying through Chicago is a good sign. <BR><BR>I know that they reduced the size/weight limit for carryons within the past year, so maybe they are just enforcing it now. <BR><BR>Debbie

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Amy

I've flown Aer Lingus many times in the last 10 years. I've never had carry-on issues (and while my carry-on fits in the guide they have for measuring it, it is always very heavy). The only luggage problem I had was my checked luggage coming home was too heavy from too much shopping, so they had me split it into two. They didn't charge me for the excess (which some airlines do) and the cheap Aer Lingus bag they gave me to put my excess luggage in made it home in fine shape. Their reasoning was that their baggage handlers union won't let bags be over a certain weight, not that it was too heavy for the plane.<BR><BR>As for carryon size, I thought it was any combination of 9x14x18, ie: not to exceed 41 total inches. So if the other two dimensions of your bag plus its 20 inch length are under 41 (9+14+18), you should be fine.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Ryn

In my experience, European carriers will be much more concerned with the weight of a carry-on bag than with the size. Stuff in a small fabric tote, so that you can retain your essentials on board if it is overweight and they force you to check it. (We usually just split it into two bags, but that works for us because we prefer to take fewer bags, so we can always add another without going over the limit in terms of numbers.)

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Laura

Debbie,I don't have my bag,let sis borrow it for Florida trip.But it is definitly a regulation size bag.Smaller than the usual carry-ons everyone has.No reason on why I couldn't carry it on,just a blank stare from check-in attendant.I flew out of Boston,as I will on this upcoming trip.But my neighbors whom travel to Ire.frequently,leave out of Chicago.They prefer it over Boston.Being in Clevland,we have to get to an Aer Lingus serviced airport.Don't ask why I never thought of leaving from Chicago!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Debbie

Laura - <BR> Glad to give you an idea for an alternate departure city! <BR><BR> The reason I keep coming back to the size/weight of your bag, is that AL is very stingy in their allowances for carryons. <BR> For example - Northwest &amp; American have a 45in ( 9x14x22 40lb) limit for cabin bags. AER LINGUS is 4 inches shorter &amp; their weight limit is 26 POUNDS! considerably less than US .<BR>carriers. <BR><BR>I think we run into problems because most luggage manufacturers consider 20&quot; to be guaranteed to fit as a carryon, but according to AL - it is too big.<BR><BR>I have an email out to them, asking if the dimensions are rigid ( 9x14x18) or if it is cummulative ( 9+14+18 = 41)

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Laura

Debbie,keep me posted on their reply.Because we do have a couple of layovers,I like to keep my carry-on with me.I can haul my books,music etc.One thing I ran across as I was shopping today,was a very small carry-on with wheels.If your looking to have something to keep your things you may need nearby,this may do the trick!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Debbie

Arrggghh. <BR><BR>I double checked my bag last night - it is definitely 20x10x10. Unless I get a response from Aer Lingus soon, I am going to have to find a wheeled carryon that is under the 18&quot; limit. <BR><BR>Has anyone used the RICARDO Essentials rolling Cosmetic case or wheeled backpack? they are both 17&quot; , on ebags.com for 29.99. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:27 AM
kit

You'll probably be waiting a long time for them to respond- I sent them an email in October about frequent flyer points and I am still waiting for a reply! <BR>I still think you won't have a problem with your carry-on. I don't really think that it depends on which airport- I have flown Aer Lingis from LAX, O'Hare, Boston, JFk and Newark (when they had that route) and believe me, I like to shop. I've never been asked to check in my carry-on. <BR>Laura is also right- cd players aren't allowed, as I know to my cost. I spend my last AL flight without a reading light, music or tv, and when I resorted to a cd player the attendant asked me to switch it off. It sure was an enjoyable flight!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Debbie

<BR>Well, If I don't hear back from them soon, I will probably call their 1-800 line. I REALLY don't relish the idea of having to check my carryon at the gate. I pack my carryon very carefully - all of the items I can't live without. I suppose if I confirm my bag is under the limit, I can argue with them not to take it , in good faith. <BR><BR>Question - Why do they ban CD players, but not Laptops? Don't they know most laptops have CD / DVD players in them?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:06 PM
kit

It's not for us mere mortals to question the logic of Aer Lingus' bizarre rules and regulations! But you might be better off with a cassette player than a cd player. Hope you have luck with your carry on. Have a nice trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -