The Flea Market of Saint Ouen - Les Puces

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to spend a Saturday in Paris at the Flea Market - I went once many years ago and had a wonderful time exploring and picking up small treasures. Is it worth visiting now? What areas/markets would you recommend? I'm afraid I can't remember how I arrived at the market last time - Metro and walking directions to your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your replies.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Hi

Never been but here is the website which may help - http://www.parispuces.com/
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You take the metro to Porte de Clignancourt and walk toward the elevated périphérique ring road, ignoring the vendors and markets on the way. The flea market is on the outer side of the périphérique. Needless to say that one should be on maximum pickpocket alert when going to such places.
There are also flea markets at Porte de Montreuil (no high end antiques but lots of interesting junk) and Porte de Vanves (not enough junk in my opinion).
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:19 AM

There are about a dozen individual markets that together comprise the Puces. Look at the map on the web site and you will get the general idea. Vernaisson is a market I would recommend as it has a wide variety of offerings at various price points. Aim to get there as early as possible on Saturday. If you want to read a description of my visit here, you will have to scroll down until you get to the Paris portion of this report; do not expect bargain prices, especially if you are US dollar-bound.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34894706

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:54 AM

A visit to the puces is, in my opinion, a very nice way to spend an afternoon (or longer). As Kerouac noted, try to ignore the vendors along the way. Turn left when you get to rue des Rosiers. Once you are inside the market, it is a lot less crowded. Marché Vernaison is great for a number of small stands, all sort of things. You might also want to try Marché Biron, a little farther down rue des Rosiers, for higher-end offerings.

Not flea markets, but interesting for their variety,I have taken people to le Louvre des Antiquaires on rue de Rivoli and le Village Suisse (rue de la Motte-Piquet in the 15th arrondissement).
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:00 AM

Look at Suzy Gerstzman's Born To Shop Paris book--she describes shopping at this flea market in great detail.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:09 AM

Definitely worth it! I also like the Port de Vanves market. Less extensive, but still sizeable, with nice things.

People have given you good advice on Saint Ouen...some people get to the t-shirt stalls and think they're there. It's further on.

Also, while I agree it's good to get there early, I have been too zealous about that in the past and have had to sit in a cafe for over an hour waiting for the vendors to arrive. Most don't open until 9:30 or 10.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:05 AM

bookmark
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:42 AM

what are the crowds like at these markets? i'd assume the most would be at les puces. i like the idea of the flea market, but don't need a huge one, nor a mass of people...

paris in 7 weeks!

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:21 AM

I usually visit Les Puces for 2 or 3 days and was there just before Christmas. But I have only taken the Metro once.
I love the bus in Paris and Bus Number 85 which runs from Boulevard St. Michel across the Seine and up Rue de Rivoli to Rue du Louvre will let you off right in front of the Antique Market on Rue des Rosiers. When you are ready to return, just cross the street from where you were left off. That Bus stop is about right in front of Vernaisson Market and I agree with ekscrunchy about its vast array of merchandise.
Travel time from Rue de Rivoli would be about a half hour. If you spot something too large to take with you and must have it make sure you check with the vendor as they will pack and ship for you.
There are some good lunch counters spotted throughout the markets. I would suggest you make a copy of the Market Map. Great market.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:29 AM

melissa--the crowds have never been unmanageable when I've been, either at St. Ouen or Vanves. No jostling to get through throngs of people or anything like that (the way it is at the Rastro in Madrid). It is more likely to be that way where the t-shirt vendors are. Stay on the sidewalk as you pass those vendors (you needn't try to wade through them.) No need to stress over a visit to Paris flea markets. However, as always, be aware of possibility of pickpockets.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

I am pleased to hear that it is still worth the trip. Any recommendations on where to have lunch in this area? I know there are a number of stalls offering food but wondered if anyone has a particular favorite where one can sit and relax for a bit. Thank you for all of your replies.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

One more question - will we get any better deals if we pay with Euros rather than US$ or credit cards? Thx!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:27 PM

I haven't eaten there myself, but Le Soleil on Av. Michelet has gotten good reviews. There are several typical cafes in the area for a quick snack if you're hungry. My choice would be to spend the morning at the market and head back to central Paris for lunch.

I'm not sure why you think they would accept dollars at all anywhere in Paris. The currency is euros. So, no, you won't get a better deal for using euros than dollars. The French don't want our dollars, and they will be horrified if you suggest they do.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:51 PM

Caution: Some merchandise may not be genuine. Pirate factories exist to produce bogus copies of everything. Prices too good to be true should be suspect. Packaging will be exact but may be counterfeit
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 01:43 AM

Pirate stuff may be at the stands before the real Marche--pass these vendors by. I find the Vanves market fulfills my needs for poking through an "antique" market. The Puces are just eye wateringly expensive--I can find most comparable things here for MUCH less. But it is the Paris Puces and it is fun for a while.
The bus from Vanves, by the way, goes back to Ecole Militaire, or nearby--a nice long ride.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:15 AM

Blwright: You can bargain a bit with the vendors especially if you pay in cash (euro). That is true all over the world, as you will be saving them the fee thay have to pay if you use the credit card. But do not expect "cheap" prices on anything at these markets. think of them more as sources for things you might not see in your home country.