Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The better airport for transferring flights: Newark or Philly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Madrid but first must take a short flight out of Albany, New York to one of two major airports: Newark or Philadelphia. Since I'm going roundtrip, I'll be flying back to one of those two airports. Is one airport preferable when it comes to making such transfers?
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The time we arrived in PHL on a flight from Europe and the baggage carousel got jammed wityh someone's stroller straps and getting our luggage to take through Customs made that airport seem like "the worst" but there have been many other seamless transfers; same with EWR. My heartburn, where there was any, has always been with the AIRLINE to include cancelled (for very questionable reasons) flights; the "attitude" of some of the so-called "customer service" agents who apparently are still pissed off because that good-for-nothing Beyonce got the fame and stardom instead of them.

EWR seems more spread out but p[erhaps has more to occupy your time on a long layover.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:47 AM

EWR always best for me for airport but

PHL transitions are fine and seamless mostly

also so might pick best connections on best

carrier and price I can find.

www.farecompare.com

www.airlinequality.com

Happy Hunting,
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 05:51 AM

They are both horrendous for diffrent reasons; your pick which scenario minimizes your probability of getting majorly screwed:

-- delays and diversions due to weather and wind shear impacts are more prevalent for the NEWARK Airport. This means the probability of flight delays while circling the airport are much, much more common. As an example, in the last couple of years flights I was in got diverted on three different ocassions (coming in from Barcelona, in from Oslo, and in from Rome).

-- The GROUND service, customs, baggage claim is more chaotic in Philly. The flow is fine, but each station process always seems to be in a crisis and convoluted. There is also longer security lines.

So, my suggestions is that if it comes down to price, you go thru Philly and leave enough time for connections.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Have you considered Dulles or Toronto?
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Viajero2:

Yes, I was once delayed at Newark for several hours on my return to the U.S. because of weather. I've never tried Philadelphia though I've been advised it's okay. I'm under no illusion that either airport is a day at the beach; I'm just trying to ascertain which one may be less nightmarish.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 06:48 AM

I would chose the one with the longer layover on the return trip. I'd rather have to wait a bit than sprint to the gate after waiting to go through security.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM

If you consider driving & parking @JFK it'll probably take the same time as transferring in either EWR or PHL. Prices from JFK are very competitive with Iberia, Air Europa, AA & Delta flying non-stop to Madrid. Parking @EWR is cheaper then @JFK and although longer drive from Albany may take the same time.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Haven't used Newark much so can't comment.

Re PHL: You don't say what airline you're using, but check to see what terminal your flight comes into. The intn'l terminal at PHL is at the end -- A West. So, for instance, if you're landing at Terminal F, you'll have a bit of a hike to A. That's a good reason to make sure you have adequate layover time.

Also, regarding layover time, PHL used to be notorious for delayed landings. Maybe it's just me, but things seem to be getting better. Still, you'll want to make sure you have enough time.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 07:23 AM

Well, Newark is the current holder of the most delayed airport title:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20088560.shtml
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 07:32 AM

I just read today that Newark has the worst record of any U.S. airport for flight delays.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:57 AM

The security system in Philadelphia makes no sense!It's chaotic and dirty!
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 11:06 AM

We've used Newark several times w/o incident but as St Cirq states, the headlines this morning was not complimentary regarding flight delays.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm answering my own original post after returning from Spain: I much prefer Philadelphia airport. Newark sucks, but I thought it was my only option. Not anymore. Newark had a lot of personnel standing around clueless. Philly is smaller and more accommodating.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:06 AM
ira

Hi W,

>The better airport for transferring flights: Newark or Philly?<

Would you prefer to be poked in the eye with a stick or hit on the head with a rock?

Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM

<i>"I'm going to Madrid but first must take a short flight out of Albany, New York to one of two major airports: Newark or Philadelphia."</i>

Why only those two?

There are other direct flights to Madrid besides those two.

IAD has some that are well priced and have good flight times.
Did you look at ITAsoftware.com ?