Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Incheon Airport - enough time between flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a flight on Korean Airlines, flying from JFK to Incheon, then Incheon to Hanoi. There's a lay-over of only 1.5 hours at Incheon between these flights. Is this too tight to be able to make my connection to Hanoi?
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM

IMO, yes that is more than enough time. You are not going through Immigration or customs, and your bags will automatically be transferred for you. All you have to do is get from one plane to the other. While Incheon is a large airport, it is doable in that time, IMO. The website for the airport is http://www.airport.kr/eng/airport/, see info on transit passengers, and you may even be able to determine what gates you are landing and departing at so you can determine if you need to switch terminals. (My guess is with an all-Korean Air flight, you will not have to do so. Korean Airlines should also be able to give you boarding passes from JFK for both flights, so you should not even have to go to a transfer desk in Inchecon to get a boarding pass for the Hanoi flight.)
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Yes they will give you the boarding passes at JFK and you should have plenty of time. (I've transited here a couple of times, flying from JFK on KoreanAir, and it is very easy)
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cicerone and ekscrunchy - good to know it's a reasonable amount of time to get through the airport. We ususally have only carry-on luggage so know that the luggage will make it if we do. ekscrunchy - sounds like you've been happy with Korean Air as you have used them more than once?
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:16 AM

I have used them for two trips from JFK to Asia, and for several flights within Asia (Saigon to Seoul; Seoul to Bangkok, etc) within the past two years. Incheon is a beautiful airport!

If you are looking to shop and worried that you will not have time, note that you can buy duty-free alcohol upon arrival in VN.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Of course, remember you will need to pass through security before going to your connecting gate. I have seen long lines and nil lines. If the line is long and your time is short, go to the front and show your boarding pass to the bouncer and you will be allowed to cut in.