Thanksgiving in Italy with baggage questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice so far for our whirwind trip to Italy. We are flying into Amsterdam and will need to connect to Rome and then return from Venice. As it will be cold, I do not see how I can bring just a "Roller bag" carry-on for the week. IS this possible? And have nice clothes for dinners and warm clothes for during the day? What are the baggage restrictions on KLM if we do check our bags (in terms of weight?).
Would love to travel light....but in the winter??
THANKS!
Laura
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:36 AM

HI

IF it is important to you to just go with a carryon (and I personally am not opposed to checking luggage) then you would wear your coat. You are wearing one outfit of some kind. Pack 2 other basics like warm slacks or skirts, and mix-match tops to go with all. Pack at least one set of washable silk "ski" underwear--available from many sources, one is Winter Silks. Wear one sweater on the plane, pack another one or a blazer. Wear/pack gloves, hat, and alternate (waterproof) comfortable shoes or boots.

If you need something dressier than the above (and as you know, many outfits can be dressed up considerably just by adding some accessories like scarves or necklaces) then you'll have to pack another outfit and corresponding shoes.

Even simple hotels can usually arrange for drycleaning or laundry. It's relatively expensive, but very helpful, and for me it is a wonderful splurge. I"d rather have clean clothes halfway through and have a picnic in my hotel room one night to make up the difference, if necessary.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:50 AM

HI
Your posting has shown up twice, I responded to the other one that's titled Thanksgiving in Italy...
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:51 AM

oops, the other one is
November in Italy
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:27 AM

From the KLM website:

[On flights to and from the United States and Canada, all passengers can take along two items of baggage at no extra cost. The two items are allowed to be no more than 158 cm in size each (length + width + height). The maximum weight allowance is 32 kg (70 lbs) per item of baggage.]

It goes on to say there may be restrictions on some other flights.

I returned last week from a trip from the US to UK and NL on KLM and had no problems with my luggage. My checked bag was your standard extra large nylon rectangular and my carry-on was a medium nylon duffel type. I took jeans, sweaters, coat, suit jacket, several shirts and a lot of socks and underwear in the checked bag and I saw the scale read 19kg. They were busting people with excess carry-on weight but mine was fine.