Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to do a 2-week trip to Italy with only carry-on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice you can give would be great. My husband and I would like to not have to check our luggage, if possible. Any chance that is possible? We're traveling in June, which is helpful since summer clothes aren't as bulky!

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Yes, I just did do this, with Air Canada's regulations. It was a bit too much for BMI and the budget carriers, so I had to check luggage on those. I did laundry twice on the trip. And I had winter clothes. I also did carry-on for a two-week trip to Europe this summer. It is easier with summer clothes.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Absolutely! Done it 3 times. You just have to be willing to wear things several times before you do laundry. It should not be any problem if you've read any of the posts here about packing light!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM

check this out..

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34478022
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Well - that depends on the person. But I did a 2-week trip to Italy in May with only a carry-on.

I don't remember what they're called - but you put your clothes in these plastic bags and roll the air out - and you save a lot of room by compacting your clothes.

Also, keep your shoes to a minimum - the ones on your feet, plus another spare pair.

I don't mind checking luggage, but I find that the real advantage to packing light is ease of getting around once I've actually reached my destination.

It IS possible!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:17 AM

I think that is entirely possible. I have been experimenting with packing lighter because I have always taken everything but the kitchen sink with me!!! LOL Last weekend I went away for 4 days. I got a new 20" carry-on for Christmas and when I was done packing it still wasn't full. I wore my coats on the plane..I wore black pants and packed one extra pair of pants plus two additional tops. Underwear for the 4 days, because it was a short trip I didn't pack any extra shoes..use travel sizes of deoderant, toothpaste etc. I also have small plastic bottles that I transfer other things I use that I can't get in travel sizes..you can get the bottles at any drugstore, or Target etc. Wrap any liguids in a plastic bag incase of a leak. You should be able to carry on a 22" piece I think. My carry-on didn't weigh much either til I came home with two bottles of wine in it...but this was a domestic flight so I didn't have to worry about weight. Weight could be a factor on an international flight maybe. Check with your airline. Travel Smith and other companies make clothes for hot temperatures that wick moisture away from your body, rinse out easily, and dry quickly. You might end up with some heat and humidity in the summer so you may perspire more. I'm sure you will get some great advice from others more experienced than me and as I say, this traveling light business is a new thing for me but I think it's entirely do-able.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Not for Mrs. Fly.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:22 AM
KT

I've done 3 weeks with a carry-on quite several times, so it's possible.

However, there's a possible snag if you're taking an intra-European flight on a European carrier. For these flights, there's usually a weight limit of something like 6 or 8 kg. (in economy), and this can apply even if the flight is a connection to or from your trans-Atlantic flight. Check with your carrier. The info should be on the airline's website.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Very do-able for most airlines. Which carrier(s) will you be traveling on? For example, if you were on American Airlines to London or Paris (no problem) and then changed to British Airways for one of their Italy destinations, it'd be difficult as BA has stringent weight limitations for their carry-on.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM
dln

Yes, do carry-on and save yourself the time of waiting for your luggage to appear! I travel much the same as crefloors does and it works out fine. My tip is to bring lots of accessories (the lightweight kind like small jewelry and scarves) so as to not get bored with a limited wardrobe.

I would, however, check the exact specifics of carry-on limitations on whatever airline you're going on, as mentioned above. Some are a lot less liberal than others.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

How do you keep your clothes from getting all wrinkled? I can't imagine you'd pack a travel iron. I know there are some clothes that don't wrinkle easily. Does the 'wrinkle sprays' you can buy in travel stores work?

We're flying British Air, First class to London and then Business from London to Rome. I checked their stie and it looks like the measurements allowed are 22"x16"x8 and a second bag 8", both weighing no more than 40#. Does that sound generous? I have to have faith that you guys who travel a lot know what you're talking about!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM

bear in mind, it's certainly possible to START with a carryon... but the few times I've tried to pack lightly, I've ended up buying a big honking suitcase while I was there, to carry home the spoils of my trip. This last trip to Rome (and I was only there 4 days, and London 4) I bought a big 30" roller case and completely filled it. so much for my carryon.

but it's always worth a shot.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:10 AM

That sounds sufficiently generous to me, but you might want to measure up your suitcases. They may or may not be stringent if your suitcase bulges to 8.5", for example. My 22" suitcase typically weighs 10 to 11 kg when full - so about 22-25 pounds.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
dln

nb, bring a very small pump spray bottle with you (empty). When you get to Rome, fill it with water and spritz your wrinkled clothing. It's not quite as good as ironing but it works. I buy small travel-sized bottles of hairspray and empty them out. Pantene's bottle is just over 4" tall and no bother to tote along if you're worried about looking neat.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure it's possible, I've done it. But the trick is (and this is a very personal question) if you are willing to wear the same few outfits over and over and/or send out laundry or do it in the hotel sink. And make do with just a couple pair of shoes.

I favor lightweight knits, silk, cotton, linen and synthetics that don't wrinkle too bad.

Other tricks for packing light include downsizing all cosmetics and toiletries to tiny travel bottles just enough for the trip length. And leave home all equipment and appliances (no room for videocam, travel iron, hairdryer, etc.).
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:35 AM

As far as wrinkles go..I have found that knits do best for me and I roll them rather than fold. This cuts down on wrinkles a good deal and of course take them out of the suitcase as soon as I arrive at my destination. It seems to be working out really well at this point.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Yes. Mrs. MileKing and I spent two weeks in Italy a few years ago. We each had a carry-on suitcase. She also had a small backpack and I had my camera bag. Did laundry twice during the trip....not a big deal at all. I also went to Australia for a month and had a single carry-on. You just need to pack light and bring no more than two pairs of shoes, one of which you will be wearing.

One trick for removing wrinkles from clothes (short of ironing) is to hang the items in the bathroom, turn the tub/shower on full blast hot, close the door, and let the steam work for 20-30 minutes. You'd be surprised how well this can work.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you sure you wouldn't rather just check your luggage? It really is much easier (though I pack light I gave up actually carrying-on several years ago).

Even if your suitcase is a small size, you still have to drag it around with you... onto the plane, into the overhead, having to deal with it if you have any airport transfer/layover, etc.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:27 AM

I was fortunate this last trip that all my pant choices traveled well. I had a pair of black Calvin Klein cords, and a pair of cotton Dockers that were plaid (black/brown) and a dark green pair of cotton trousers. Aftr a few days I wasn't so careful in my re-packing of them and they still looked great, right out of the suitcase. I never needed to iron them.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I didn't mind checking my luggage for the other legs of my trip, and I got it back almost immediately, but it was nice being able to just get out of Heathrow, rather than waiting for luggage. In smaller airports, one's luggage tends to arrive quicker, in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -