Do I weigh too much?

Search

Do I weigh too much?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I weigh too much?

I just packed my wheeled suitcase (eaglecreek 8.5 lbs. unpacked). It now weights 33 lbs.

We are traveling for 30 days in Italy and as often as I have been to Europe I feel I have the bare essentials. My feet are bad so I have tennis, 2 pair of sandals. All my clothes seem light, but I'm afraid May might be chilly so I have long and short stuff. Light jacket and hooded jacket.

My husband will be throwing it up on the rack in the train. Is this to much weight? How much does your luggage weigh when you travel?
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM

Have your husband try going up five or six stairs with it and lifting the bag over his head. If he can do this without difficulty, sounds like no worries. 8.5 lbs sounds like a wheeled 22" case. If you everything in, great.

If he has difficulties with the bag and you have everything down to your essentials, you may consider putting some of the items into a rucksack/shoulder-type bag to carry-on.

If this bag is your carry-on, almost all airlines (esp non-US-based) have a weight limit and yours is WAY over. You will have to check it. My 21" bag usually weighs 20 lbs fully packed. I have to check it because it is overweight for cabin luggage.

30 days in Italy, fantastic! Have fun!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM

Good heavens eurogals, I thought you were going to give us the information on what YOU weight, LOL!

Sounds like you have not overpacked regarding shoes.

How many outfits are you taking. I am sure you have read a hundred times or more to make sure that all the clothes should coordinate. Most "experts" say you should figure on wearing each outfit three times.

For 30 days I would definatly plan on having clothes laundered so you do not have to take so much. Either hand laundered or take them to a laundry/cleaners.

When I have been in Italy for 2 months at a time I pack for one week. Like you always pack 2 pair of shoes and wear one pair.

I noticed that you say you are packing a hooded jacket. Doubt you would need that in May. Some people will probably tell you to wear it on the plane but the thing is you will have to "drag" it all over Italy. I would leave that at home.

About the trains, you can have your luggage at the end of the train. Many here have suggested a cableline, or something like that, so secure the luggage. Have never done that so not an expert on this.

I don't know the strength (or age) of your husband so can't comment on what he can handle but imagine he will have his own suitcase to deal with.

I truly believe in taking as little as possible. In otherwords, if you can't handle your own suitcase then start weeding out some clothes. You can always pick up a top or whatever if you don't get laundry done when you should and need something clean.

Best of luck to you. Isn't planning a trip fun? Have a beautiful trip.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM

Personally I think it isn't too much but as to the so-called lugging it around litmus test&quot; my suggestion would be that <b> you </b> lug it up and down the stairs or let your husband pack it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM

What's the deal with carrying your luggage up and down stairs over your head? I've never had to do that in Europe.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM

I think they meant carrying it over several flights of stairs and THEN lifting it over the head to put it in a train overhead rack if needed.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:16 PM

33 pounds is only two bowling balls. Most adult males can readily lift a bowling ball with either hand. Unless hubby is exceptionally weak, a 33 lb. suitcase should not be an insurmountable problem.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:17 PM

Nibblette, What airline do you fly that makes you check a 20 lb. carry-on. I fly US Air and cabin limit is 40 lb with 70 lb limit on checked. Even cheap skate Ryan Air in Europe allows 10 kg or 20 lb carry-on and they are very weight restrictive cause that's how they jack up your fare from those cheapo ticket prices.

Larry J
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM

Sounds extremely reasonable, you did good. Happy travels.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:17 PM

Air France and Air Malaysia and a few others only allow 7Kg hand luggage, AND they weigh it when you check in - especially in Paris! We've been to Italy in May - just have a warm jacket for evening with layers underneath if cold.
When on trains, you can put your bags in the space provided near the doors, and just get up and stand near them at any train stops.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:05 PM

I've flown Air France many times (including recently), and they've never weighed by carryons, including in Paris. If they weighed yours, it was probably because it was large or a suitcase or something. I don't take on suitcases, only a large tote bag. Their allowance isn't 7 kg for carryons, it's 12 kg which is about 26 pounds. I just bought a ticket on them for this summer, and that's what it says in the legal terms.

I think 33 lbs. could be beyond some airline's carryon limits, and suspect that is probably larger than a 22&quot; suitcase and couldn't be a carryon, anyway. I know when I pack my 24-25&quot; suitcase fairly full it is about 36 pounds, and I have shoes and books in there, so that's why it seems too heavy for a 22&quot; case. I think it's fine, though, and really good for going for 30 days. You only have 3 pairs of shoes, it seems, that's really not many. I would hope your husband could handle that, but we don't know his physical condition. I can handle my bags myself when that weight, so I'd hope he could. I don't throw my 25&quot; on the rack, though, I don't put it up there. Mine has wheels, so I just wheel it around, and lift it up some steps when I have to, of course.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Well my husband is 6'1&quot; and 200 lbs. and 63 years of age. I'm 5'1&quot; and my weight is more than I would like it to be.

Will be staying at each destination 3-nights, so won't have to lug it each day. The hooded jacket is actually a lightweight sweatshirt type with zipper. I feel like it will be chilly. Can't part with anything, I tried after reading the lst posting and actually put in another shirt.

If its hot I want short sleeve, if its cold I want long. Something prettier for evening and something warmer if its chilly. I'll let you all know how well I fared.

Leaving on Thursday. Have been know to visit FedEx and ship clothes I've worn little home.

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:54 PM

eurogals, you will have a wonderful time. A happy month in Italy to both of you. You must be so excited. Take good care and enjoy every moment. And do give us a trip report when you get back home and get settled in.

Enjoy all that wonderful food and wine also!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM

eurogals,
Always follow the rule, when in doubt leave it out (don't pack it). Trust me most people can take whatever they've packed, remove 1/2 of it and still have more than they need. Really think about what you've packed, take out any items packed for any exceptional circumstances....heavy rain, extreme temps....if something bizarre occurs while traveling well then go make a cheap purchase, consider it a souvenir.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:23 PM

Hi Traveler863, I sure agree with your thoughts. And years ago I learned the hard way.

And for carryon, toiletries etc. Go buy the small travel items. When you need more buy them where you are when you are traveling. It is even fun buying what you need where the residents of the country you are in do their shopping.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:50 PM

Hi Loveitaly, I hear ya and another rule I forgot to mention. Always keep track of things you've packed on previous trips and don't use....apply that to next packing routine, you will find less and less to pack the more you travel.

Yes traveling and picking up items is all part of the fun. We're typically self catering travelers so in and out of stores alot. Some stores huge, a grocery store and a &quot;Walmart&quot; combined....summer of 2003 we needed FANS and purchased a few, not bad about $15 each for large fans....a few aisles down great meats, seafood and all the cheeses and other delicacies you've ever dreamed about. This one in particular was outside Perugia, off the superstrada....great store.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 02:42 AM

That's very light!

One of my suitcases usually comes up at around 30kg when I have it weighed at check-in, which I believe translates to around 66 pounds.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Eurogal, my first reaction was that at 33 lbs you are way overpacking. My luggage weights 17-20 lbs regardless of how long my trip is.

Usually, the villian in over-packing is excess clothing. Pack fewer clothes and wash more often. Think in terms of what you can do without, not in terms of what might come in handy. Is that item really worth carrying around for a whole month just to use once?

Here are a couple of web sites with packing tips for women:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/womenpack.htm

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/womenpacking.htm
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Hey! According to that Rick Steve's list, I'm a light packer and never knew it!! I don't pack as much stuff as there is on that list, but I still wouldn't be able to get it all in a 22&quot; carry-on. (Well, maybe if all my clothes were a size 2 - which they aren't!!) My toiletries/cosmetics bag (LL Bean 9x9 medium toiletry bag, using travel-size products) would take up a 1/4 of a 22&quot; suitcase.

Men need to keep in mind that it's much easier for them to pack lighter - they don't have nearly as much stuff.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Hi eurogals,

&lt;Can't part with anything, I tried after reading the lst posting and actually put in another shirt.&gt;

Beautiful, made me chuckle, thanks, and happy Sunday morning to you.

I was in Italy during the last week of April and first week May, and I basically was in khakis, a short sleeve comfy cotton top and my sneaks the entire time. Rome was pleasant but if it had been any warmer it might have been uncomfortable with what I was wearing.
Florence was very comfortable. I never needed a jacket in either city.

You will be there during what I call &quot;a great walking month&quot; as I loathe too hot walking weather.

All above posts are accurate, and I will just add, layer, layer, layer with light weight items.

Have a splendid time, a whole 30 days, how very delicious indeed!

Best wishes, T.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -