6'2 male, packing help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Rome, Florence, and Siena in September. We are both in our early 30's and would like suggestions on packing. My husband is 6'2 and a 22 inch carryon would be difficult for him to bring (2 pairs of shoes take half the carryon). Please advise as to what size luggage he should bring- that would be convenient and easy to travel with. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi Hartmann,

You have one pair of shoes too many. DH needs only 2 pair total.

How long a trip are you planning? My wife and I generally do three weeks with one checked suitcase and two carryons.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

He only plans to bring 2 pairs of shoes. We are going for 10 days.Thank you Ira
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:41 AM

Check out my 22 tips--including a packing list---at slowtrav.com under ITALY and then PLANNING. I use a 26" and a carry on overniter with all the things I MUST HAVE.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:57 AM

My 6'5" hub carries a small carry-on and a medium size check thru..His sz 14 shoes ..1 pr on and another in the checked bag , stuffed with socks and things, roll underwear...why can't men wear nylon instead of that bulky cotton stuff? We usually go to really nice places for dinner so he even brings a blazer and dress slacks. Wear a lot of the things onto the plane..in his carry0n I do travel kit,2 sets underwear ,dress shirt and day shirt, sometimes even an outer jacket..all inside plastic vacuum bags and still have room for cameras etc and this is a small tote size bag not a 22" monster.He is also more comfortable in a casual wool sport coat during the day..so even if his good clothes are delayed ( which so far has never happened) we can still go on with most of our dinner and other plans.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:21 AM
Intrepid

Wear ONE pair on the plane and pack the second pair!

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi hartmann,

If hubby packs both pair of shoes, what will he wear on the plane?

In this context, the term "shoes" is intended to mean all forms of apparel, except socks, worn on the feet and includes, but is not limited to, sneakers, trainers, boots, tennis shoes, athletic shoes, sandals, flip flops, and swim fins.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:26 AM
ira

PS,

For ten days two carryons should be sufficient.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Even when I pack in my 22" roller, I check it in these days. They weigh bags now & I'm always over limit. Since I got used to it, I find checking thru more convenient.

So I'd say any size with good wheels (well within reason) maybe a 26"? Plus one medium-size tote to carry on the plane: plane entertainment, a few just-in-case clothing items & anything you *can't* lose, wouldn't want to live without, or would be hard to replace in Europe.

Personally I take 3 pair of shoes (whoohoo!), because I walk soooo much on trips. 1 on my feet on the plane, and 2 in the suitcase. I'd rather wear a t-shirt over and over, but have different shoes to alternate between.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:55 AM

I have traveled w/ men up to 6'5" and women up to size 24 and all were able to get anything they need for up to 3 weeks in a 21 inch roll aboard.

if your husband is taking 2 pairs of shoes - more than enough BTW - he will only have one pair in the suitcase. If he fills the shoes w/ things like socks, film (NOT if you plan on checking the bag tho'), and other small item, they are not space hogs.

You should have no trouble getting everything in carry-on sized luggage.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:08 AM

We just returned from Florence and Venice and packed in 2 - 22" carry on bags, plus brought along an empty duffle bag for souvenirs. We had an additional duffle bag with nothing but formal wear for our vow renewal, so I wouldn't count that in your situation.

I brought three above the knee skirts and sleevless blouses, along with one pair of flat sandals. I wore my walking sandals on the plane.

My husband brought three pair of zip-off cargo pants, and some button up shirts. He wore his tennis shoes on the plane and wore them on the trip, as well.

I can relate to the tall husband, large shoe thing. We go thru that dilemma everytime we go somewhere because his shoes take up half the suitcase. However, I always convince him to wear the most space consuming pair on the plane.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:32 AM
Intrepid

I would hope that even with size 12 shoes in a suitcase the traveler isn't foolish enough not to stuff each shoe with as many things such as underwear, socks, etc., rather than leaving that packable space empty.

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:55 AM

Good point, Intrepid. Yes, don't forget to stuff the shoes and every other open space you have.