TGV Station- Where is it in Paris?

Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV Station- Where is it in Paris?

Dear Fodorites,

Excuse my ignorance. We are arriving in Paris at the CDG airport in late June. Where is the TGV station and how would you get there from the airport?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Linda
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:26 AM

There is a TGV station AT the airport.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:33 AM

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but there are several train stations in Paris, each servicing different destinations. I assume there are TGV trains at each, depending on where you are going. Where do you wish to go?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

We are trying to decide to go to Provence or Tours? My husband would really like to go on the TGV and then rent a car.
Linda
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:53 AM

The train station is located in the CDG airport. I think we just followed the signs to locate it. We took the TGV to Avignon and it was rather easy to do even after a long flight. We did, however, have our tickets and just went to the counter and had them validated, watched the "board" to tell us which track, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM

Linda, The TGV station in the airport is very easy to get to. Follow the signs. If you arrive at a different terminal, they will direct you to the free aiport shuttle and you will arrive at the station.

I agree with your husband. Take the TGV to your destination and then get a car. It's such a fast way to travel. We drove from Paris to Lyon and it took several hours. The TGV took 2 hours.

Have a great trip!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info already. I'm a little confused by the TGV website. Which CDG would be my departure point? If I were going to Aix en Provence to we go to Aix or Avignon? Is there a place I can look at the timetables without having to be totally specific about the times I am interested in? Thanks again.
Linda
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:20 PM

lindaann:

The TGV station at CDG is at Terminal 2. There are big yellow signs that say Gare SNCF - follow them to the station. There is only one station at CDG - there are no choices. You take the TGV to Avignon - just under 3 hours - then pick up a car there or take a local train to Aix.
At www.sncf.com you can plug in sample dates and times and get all information about TGV trips. You may also want to look at the top left of the screen, after clickin gon Reservations, to see a list of PREMs fares, which are deeply discounted fares. There are often PREMs fares from Paris to Avignon (not sure whether any originate at CDG, though).
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:46 PM

There is also the Aix en Provence TGV station which you could go to from the CDG TGV station. The Aix TGV station is not in downtown and would require a car rental, taxi or the provided shuttle service to get into downtown. Its about a 15 minute drive or so.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:56 PM

My suggestion to lnadaann is this:
First decide what it is you are trying to do, and then figure out how to get there. After reading your postings I am not sure if your main intent is to ride a TGV or to journey to Tours.

First there is no direct service from CDG airport to Tours. The SNCF system would not give me a routing because more than 3 changes of train were involved.

From reading your post you seem to think that there is just ONE TGV station, period. The TGV is a type of train; the letters stand for Train à Grande Vitesse, where Vitesse is French for speed. TGVs leave from rail stations all over France whether designated TGV or something else.

The station at the airport is designated TGV to avoid confusion with the RER station located at the same point.

(The RER is a commuter train system serving metropolitan Paris.)

The specific TGV that you take, and where you take it from, is dependent on your destination. For example if you want to go to Tours you could go to Paris city center and take a TGV from Gare Montparnasse.

Also note that there are NON TGV connections to Tours from Gare Austerlitz. So, if you just order a ticket to Tours without specifying which station you want to leave from, you could end up not taking a TGV.

I don't your schedule, but if Tours is the destination of choice, and a TGV is the vehicle of choice, the most practical schedule I see is to plan on taking the TGV that leaves at 13:55 from Gare Montparnasse.

Assuming your flight arrives about 8 AM, that will give you ample time to collect your luggage, travel to downtown Paris, find Gare Montparnasse (which all taxi and shuttle drivers know well), buy your ticket (or acquire your ticket if already bought) and find the train.

I say this because Montparnasse is a large station and there are many platform from which trains leave.

By the way, the TGV does require a seat assignment, and pre booking is often needed.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:13 PM

If you don't trust looking for signs im the airport, you can print a map of the CDG airport from www.adp.fr, which will show you where it is