s. of france itineary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We fly into Nice and have 6 days in the S. of france. We will be renting a car and will be flying out of Nice again. I think that perhaps we would like to stay in two different places as a base, and see the rest by day trips. Where would you suggest we stay as a base, and what day trips would you suggest.
Our interests are food, wine, scenery, romance, relaxation, markets, beaches, museums......
Any advice for hotels? We would like to stay somewhere quaint and unique... but not overly pricy please.
What's your advice?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:01 PM

Day Trips: Monaco, Entreveaux, Les Beaux

Special Trip Tip: Stay near the Camargue if you can, at least one night. Go to Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and pay a little to go up to the top of the roof of the main church. Talk about a romantic view! The Camargue is unique - a marshy area with flamingoes, white Camargue horses, gypsies, and Camargue cowboys, called Les Gardians (sp?). They also have bulls and (humane) bull fights. A very special area in the south of France. Drink some local rosé while you're there; it's nothing like US rosé! Beautiful beach, too.

Hotels: In Nice, I stayed twice at the Hotel Vendome. It's in a good location, very reasonably priced, clean and simple, and my room both times had balconies looking out on Nice and the gardens in the park! I'm not sure about AC -- I was there in the fall. Also got a good rate on a suite at the Hotel Splendid. Was very nice.
You'll have to research museums to see what you like; there are quite a few.

All this is just a very small sampling based on my experience. It's a beautiful area and the people are wonderful. The south of France reminded me a great deal of the south of the US - a little slower, a little friendlier, a little warmer. Bon voyage!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:17 PM

What are your interests? I personally don't think much of the Côte d'Azur, but many people love it. Perhaps you'd want to divide your time between it and the Bouches-du-Rhône area.

You could stay in Nice for 3 days and take daytrips, then move to the Alpilles Area and visit Les Baux, St-Rémy, Arles, Pont du Gard, etc.

In the Camargues, THE place to go is AIiues-Mortes - very touristed but one of the most beautiful squares in all of Europe.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:29 PM

Sorry, I meant Aigues-Mortes.

Almost as bad as your "itneary."
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:34 PM

nice is a lovely city...i'd stay there a couple of nites...i would not stay on the water but back a bit for the $$ savings....also the parking is easier...
the old town is teeming with restaurants and shops and the museums are great...

i would then head west along the ocean and pick a town mid-way so as to use it as a base for touring...there are many small places along the way....of course it depends on when you are going as to how crowded it will be and thus how difficult to find something available...you could stay the whole time in nice and make all your trips from there too....
villefrance sur mer is a lovely town..you might look at it
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with St Cirq about the Cote D'Azur (not being my favorite part of France) but I want to still visit areas I haven't seen so I will go back again this year for a few days.In Aigues Mortes, We stayed several days at the Hotel des Templiers. No dinner is served but nearby is the Camargue restaurant, where you will be entertained by gypsies singing and playing guitar. There's restaurant in the square has a great selection of shell fish that you can choose what you want. The only thing I didn't like waas raw mussel. For buying gifts, there i a knife shop selling lovely variations of the opitnel foldig knife.