Notices

6 Days in the South of France

May 1st, 2011, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

6 Days in the South of France

Hello All-

My husband and I will be in the South of France at the end of July. Every town sounds amazing and we are having a hard time deciding how and where to spend our time. We are flying in and out of Nice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
May 1st, 2011, 03:06 PM

Base yourself in Aix and explore from there. (I assume you are picking up a car in Nice?)
May 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM

We visited the South of France last year and it's hard to go wrong. Your visit depends somewhat on personal preferences. Aix would make a great home base if you want to headquarter in a more urban setting. If you want to absorb the natural beauty of the countryside, some of the smaller towns may be more to your liking. We really enjoyed our stay last year with John and Monique Parsons at L’Ecole Buissonniere Chambres, a farmhouse lovingly restored from an old sheep barn. Their particular little gites is located 10 minutes from the quaint village of Vaison la Romaine in the Haut-Vaucluse region. The area in or around Vaison makes a nice, easy home base for exploring a great deal of Provence, including the Cotes du Rhone wine region. Our second home base--a small hotel in St. Remy-de-Provence--also served us well. The loop between St. Remy and Les Baux is a spectacular 15-minute drive over the hills and through the woods. Note that a rental car would be the handiest way to explore the region, along with a GPS with European mapping (helpful but hardly mandatory unless you can't read a paper map). We are going back again this year (lucky us!) and will be home basing in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Cassis on the Mediterranean coast (not far from Aix), before returning to Nice. Speaking of Nice, there's plenty to see and do there as well. Like I said, it's hard to go wrong ... especially if you can slow down and genuinely appreciate the simple elegance of rural France.
May 1st, 2011, 11:05 PM

If you base yourselves in Nice, you can do everything without renting a car. You can get around Nice generally on foot or with the aid of a taxi if necessary; busses and trains are available for day trips to Eze, Monte Carlo, Cannes, Antibes. IMO Nice is the perfect size city with many restaurants, shops and lovely beaches as well.
May 7th, 2011, 08:11 AM

planning to go to south of frnace for 6 days with my daugther we will be in florence and hoping to fly in ryan air to nce any suggestions where to go and on a budget?

Search this Thread