Reload this Page >

Taxi Fare CDG to 5th Arr

Search

Taxi Fare CDG to 5th Arr

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Ian

Taxi Fare CDG to 5th Arr

Does anyone know the current fare rates for CDG to the 5th arrondissement. Jardin Luxembourg area. I know, I know the RER is cheaper, but we have 3 separate arrivals & they are my customers so taxis will be best . . .

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:43 AM
elaine

50-60 euro plus tip depending on time of day, traffic, prevailing winds.<BR><BR>You can also arrange in advance for a car service to meet you at the time of the last arrival.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Gretchen

I think it will be closer to 40? including tip.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:08 AM
kieron White

Ian it all depends on what time of day they arrive.<BR>We used a taxi from CDg and spent 48 euros after getting stuck in traffic.<BR>Driver was rude & swore at passing motorists fist shaking etc. <BR><BR>We used the shuttle on the wayback & only paid 15 euros each , total was 30.<BR>Driver was friendly , chatty and above all very professional.<BR>Worth thinking about anyway we booked directly with the guy that runs the company : [email protected]<BR><BR>RER is easy to use as well but be prepared for long corridor walks humping your luggage around.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Ian

Thanks for the info. I have used shuttle in the past, but I don't know if my other parties can handle it (their 1st trip to Paris & NO French at all). I have the hotel checking. We go next week. Paris & Saint-Etienne (for business).

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:46 AM
lori

Thank you Kieron for giving your experiences with both taxis and shuttles. While I can understand that shuttles can have faults such as delays and indifferent drivers at times, this goes to show some who believe in using taxis 100% and refuse to take shuttles that taxis are not always the best mode of transport in Paris.<BR>Many shuttles charge only 15-18 Euros/pp. but I believe it's worth the cost.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Bob C

After a long flight you want your customers to have it easy. So a taxi is the only way.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Ian

You're probably right, Bob. They can just fall into a taxi & point at the written address of the hotel. I did a trip 2 years ago with 21 Americans. There, a shuttle was best due to expense, because it is MUCH cheaper. This time, with a smaller group (and knowing their personalities) we cab it.<BR><BR>Thanks all once again.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Sue

In May early morn. rush hour, CDG to 6th cost 48 euro, for 3 of us, all with a lg. bag and carry on. Returning, another weekday am., cost 46. Much less expensive than shuttle for our threesome.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Annette

End of May, paid 55Euro cabfare from 5th (Hotel Familia) to CDG. Travelling solo, cab picked me up at 5pm, we got caught in heavy traffic. Used Parishuttle from CDG to the 5th; rate 22Euro.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Rita

Dear Ian<BR>My family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) took the taxi from CDG to 6th (St.Sulpice) at about 10am on a Friday. Cost (including tip) was 50 Euros.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Sue

Maybe this is the wrong place to post this question, but I just read in Consumer Reports Travel Letter that in France, tip is included in the taxi fare (add more for good service). The last two cabs I took, I probably only tipped 10% (feeling guilty) trying to give driver exact amount, and rather than being miffed, they both seemed quite happy, so I'm inclined to believe CR. Anyone know the real skinny?<BR><BR>Sue, I fail to see how 48e/46e is much less expensive than a shuttle for 3 at 15e pp. More convenient maybe, but costwise it looks more like a break-even situation.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Christina

I don't think that Consumer Reports is correct, I don't believe there is any 15 pct service charge added onto taxi rates as you see in restaurants, etc. By law, that must be added onto restaurant and hotel bills and they state so on it ("service compris"). If you look at an official Parisian taxi receipt, you'll see the form even mentions that tips are up to the discretion of the client based on their opinion of the service, or something like that, and makes no mention that 15 pct service is included. Knowing France, I think if it were, by law it would have to state so. You don't see any language like that on hotel bills, either, for example, about tipping being to the discretion of customers. <BR><BR>I think a driver is happy for 10 pct because traditionally taxis are not tipped a lot in France (or by Europeans in general, I think), so that is a good tip. Now, it's possible the taxi syndicat or whatever (I'm sure they have one) lobbied to get this statement on the receipt to get tips above service, but I'm kind of doubtful of that as it's in French and most tourists couldn't read it anyway. Also, I've never ever read that anywhere else and I've seen many guidebooks, web sites, etc. state that a 10 pct tip for taxi driver is about right. If that were true, I think someone other than Consumer Reports would be saying it. It's my understanding that the 15 pct service charge in restaurants does indeed go to the servers (unless the owner is not being honest, of course, but that's not the norm), I have read that in places. <BR><BR>Also, the official French Tourism Dept's web site tells you service is included in restaurants/hotels and covers waiters, hotel staff, etc but directs you that it is customary to tip taxi drivers 5-10 pct. I don't think they would be that biased in their presentation if service were included in both cases already.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Sue

Thanks, Christina--I was hoping you'd show up. I know in my youth, I had myself royally cussed out by a Parisian taxi driver when I didn't tip (sometimes ignorance isn't bliss). I tend to agree with you!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Sue

Sue, I thought shuttle was ~$22/person? Also, my use of "much less expensive" was inaccurate, regardless; I should have said less expensive. Even on a break even situation, I myself would prefer a taxi.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:44 PM
xxx

You can get a shuttle for 15 Euros/pp or sometimes a little less.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Sue

Sue, most shuttle services have a descending rate scale depending on how many people are going, with singles paying top euro, of course. I paid 19e in April (solo), and I think 2-5 were paying 15e pp as Kieron said.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:11 PM
xxx

Yes, that's probably right. We were offered a rate of 15 Euros/pp maybe as we are 3 people.