From CDG to the Seventh?

Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From CDG to the Seventh?

I'll be arriving at CDG around 9 AM., and am staying at a hotel in the 7th district . On previous trips I've successfully used the RER and the Air France Bus when staying in the 6th or in Montparnasse. This time, I'm not sure what to do. I'll be alone. I definitely don't want to do a shuttle, although I would on the way back. I'll have one smallish suitcase and a carry on. I've thought about taking the Air France Bus to Gare Montparnasse, then a taxi to hotel.

For some reason, I always seem to want to economize on the transportation! Time isn't a factor, as I probably can't check in for awhile, anyway. I'm wondering how easy it is to find a taxi from the public drop-off points, especially Gare Montparnasse.
Should I just give in and take a taxi the whole way?

Also, from one who doesn't take taxis in Paris, how much in tips do they expect?
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 10:13 AM

There are always taxis at the train stations, although the line to get one may be long.

Taxi drivers do not expect tips. Just round the fare up a bit, e.g. if the fare is 12E50, make it 13E.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 11:46 AM

The fare from CDG will be about 50E.
The taxi driver will charge about 1E for your luggage.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 03:46 PM

You've taken the RER B before so why not take it again to St Michel-Notre Dame and transfer to the RER C... it may get you to within walking distance of your hotel. If you let us know which hotel someone is sure to be able to give you exact directions...
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 04:50 PM

I've stayed in the 7th many times, close to rue Cler, and a taxi from the rank at Montparnasse to the hotel has usually been no more than 12-15 euros, and about 10 minutes, depending on traffic. Taxis to CDG, as Gretchen said are about 50-55 euros, depending on traffic.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 05:02 PM

Hi Sue4

You wrote: “I'll be alone. I definitely don't want to do a shuttle, although I would on the way back.”

In my view getting a shared shuttle is more cost effective for a solo traveler (like myself) than a taxi when you never know how horrendous the traffic can be. Personally with a suitcase and hand luggage, I would never navigate the Metro or busses from the airport.

Two years ago, I used PARIS SUTTLE and was quite satisfied. After arrival, I went to their office in the arrivals hall in CDG and waited about 15-20 minutes before being driven to my hotel in the 6th. If I recall, two other parties were dropped off on the way. I rather enjoyed seeing the other parts of town.

As you said, “I probably can't check in for a while” so what’s your hurry?
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. ParisAmsterdam, you might be right about taking the RER B and a transfer to RER C. I'm staying at the Relais Bosquet, on Rue Champs de Mar, and I think they mention doing that on their website and it's about a 10 minute walk to hotel. It would certainly be the cheapest alternative!
However, I've got to deal with AGE these days! And is it long walk from RER B to RER C at San Michel?

As for the shuttle services, I guess I' ve been afraid of the hassle of finding them at the airport, them not showing up, etc. I use Super Shuttle in Miami always, and love that service. I might decide to give it a try this time in Paris, or Paris Shuttle.

The hotel also mentions taking the Roissy Bus to Opera, and taking Metro to Ecole Militaire, then a very short walk to hotel. But I can't deal with the Metro and suitcase.

After thinking as I write this, I' m leaning towards the Air France Bus to Montparnasse and then taxi to hotel. Thanks for the "taxi tipping" advice. I bet lots of Americans tip them like here.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 06:19 AM

I think if you can't deal with the metro and suitcase, you may not be able to do the RER.
There will also be a small charge for pickup at a train station I believe.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 06:21 AM

I might add we have never done the shuttle and are a little wary as you are, but if I were travelling alone, I think I'd chance it rather than finding the AF "station" and then the taxi queue, although I think someone said it was close to that dropoff, so it might not be too bad.
Some shuttles seem to be pretty reliable--Taxi Blue? I DO hate the times I have used Super Shuttle in the US.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 08:25 AM

IMO, the most comfortable (i.e. least walking, no stairs) and least expensives way should be:

From CDG take the RoissyBus (stops at every terminal at the curb) to Opéra

Exactly where the Roissy Bus terminates at Opéra on rue Scribe is also the bus stop for bus #42 (direction Hôpital Européen George Pompidou).
You may have to walk 20 steps back against the direction of travel.

Take bus #42 (direction Hôpital Européen George Pompidou) to stop "Rapp - La Bourdonnais". Two stops before is the stop for "Tour Eiffel", so you can hardly miss it.

Walk to 19 rue Champ du Mars (450 meters / 1/4 mile)

I just don't know if you can transfer for free with the RoissyBus ticket to the regular city bus.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM

That is also a great "sightseeing" bus route.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Cowboy nails it again!
I'd usually take the RER B/C but if you want to minimize stairs and walking Cowboy's itinerary is great- and scenic, to boot.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 12:36 PM

We also need transport from CDG to the 7th. in May.
There will be 5 of us going to apartment on Rue l'University/Malar.
Would taxi be able to accommodate 5 + luggage?

Is this the cheapest -- rather than price of 5 RER tickets and and dealing with
transfer from line B to C and then walking to University?

What is the charge of the individual RER ticket?
We will immediately buy the Navigo Pass for each of us when we arrive on a Tuesday. Would the RER tickets then be cheaper?

Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Taxi will be the best deal for 5. Many cabs are minivans so no problem for your party.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 03:49 PM

For a number of years I took Airport Connection shuttle (now Super Shuttle) from CDG to the 7th and other locations. They would pick me up at terminal one where I arrived. However, about 3-4 years ago I used the but had to go from terminal 1 over to terminal 2 for the to pick me up.

Doing this once was enough as it took me an hour just to do thousand find the meeting place in terminal 2. Since then I've used the Air France bus.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM

That should read "just to find the meeting place.....". I need to proof before hitting submit!
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Not sure if was mentioned above but when I lived near there I would take the AirFrance bus to Porte Maillot and then either hop on the bus number 92 or more usually catch a cab at the Hotel Meridian at the Porte Maillot stop. Super easy and not very expensive. It is line 2:

http://www.lescarsairfrance.com/en/t...nd-prices.html
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM

We've stayed at your hotel often, Sue4, and I usually just get a cab all the way in. Like you, I'm willing to take a shuttle BACK to the airport but hate taking one in when I arrive.

If you want to do cheap, I think Cowboy's idea makes sense. The RoissyBus costs under 7 Euros, I think, and as Cowboy indicates, it's a no brainer to snag one. In fact, it's far easier to get the RoissyBus than the AirFrance bus.

But you'd have to have a regular RATP ticket to get on the #42 bus once you reach Opera, and that means descending to the guichet of Metro stop to buy one (or a carnet), thus defeating "avoid stairs" plan.

Do you have a leftover ticket from your last trip, per chance?

Actually, if you have to buy a ticket anyway to get to the 7th from Opera, you might as well use Line 8 because this route requires the fewest steps. Hop the Line 8 (Balard) to Ecole Militaire. The hotel is right around the corner from there, so your journey from Opera would be around 15 minutes or less.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 06:47 PM

There are only two choices that really make any sense to me and I live in the 7th and travel back and forth to CDG often; either take a taxi from the official taxi queue which will cost you about 50€ (or less at that time of day) or take the RER for 9.75€.

The Roissybus idea is the most awkward of any of these solutions for destinations in the 7th. You´ll pay 10€ for the bus then 2€ more for the second bus. These will both be very long bus rides and carrying luggage on a city bus can be a daunting task.

Based upon what you have written Sue4, I should think that taking a taxi and enjoying the ride into Paris will be the optimum solution. It is stress free and requires absolutely no luggage maneuvering through crowded stations, no stairways, and no fighting for space on buses.

It is vacation is it not?
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 09:53 PM

That the taxi is THE most comfortable option is no surprise. I guess OP is very much aware of that.

But let's not forget the starting point was that duration of travel was not too important for her. Stairs & steps were to be avoided. And she wanted to economize if it was not too much hassle.

Taxi - convenient, expensive, almost no walking at all (than from baggage claim to rank, possible wait), but possibly not as fast as RER as taxis also get stuck in traffic like buses // costs min. €50

RER/RER or RER/Metro - fast, cheap, but stairs/steps, walking // costs €9.75

Shuttle Service - okay, less expensive than a taxi but poissibly wait till all other passengers are picked up and dropped off // costs x

RoissyBus + 42 - inexpensive, no long waits at CDG, but probably most time-consuming option, bus 42 can be awkward if there was lots of luggage, Roissybus has many luggage racks, though, some on-street walking at destination // costs appr. €13

I guess the last option will take around 90-100 minutes door-to-door, the taxi should be able to make it in 40-50 minutes in a best-case scenario. Now OP can decide whether she spends an extra €40 on the convenience of a taxi ride, or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -