Target Cities for First European Vaca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all. This will be my first trip to Europe and I'm looking forward to it.

Originally I had included four cities to visit over 12 days: Paris => Brussels => Amsterdam => London. Now that I think about it it may be too tiring for me to visit all four, and I would like to visit three instead. It doesn't have to be any of the three as long as i start in paris and end up in london for my flight back.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can change it? All that is certain and unchangeable at this point is flying into paris and flying out of london. Anything in between can be modified as long as it doesn't require a plane reservation - I'd prefer to take the more easily accessible rail/train.

I'm looking for a good combination of relaxation and visiting all the must-see attractions. I'd lean more for relaxation if I had to choose one of the two.

Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM

Althought Amsterdam is more interesting than Brussels, I'd travel from Paris to Brussels and visit Brugges from Brussels, and then travel to London by Eurostar from Brussels. You can easily travel to these cities by rail and you won't need to travel by air.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM

With that short a time, and your first visit, I think you should just do Paris and London. Sorry!
Every time you move cities you lose at least a half day.
You're not going to get relaxation at all if you want to do any of these places justice... and if that's what you want, why are you trying to jam in so many cities?
6 days in each of London and Paris would at least give you a chance to go at a slightly slower pace while still seeing the major sights of each.

But, if you must add in a third, I'd second what RJames suggests. Not for Brussels itself, but for a visit to Bruges for a day. But really for a short first trip to Europe, Paris and London would be plenty.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM

I agree with taggie, I think Paris and London would be perfect. That would actually give you 5 days in each of Paris and London, since one day would be a travel day taking the train between them.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
ira

Hi nite,

Split the time between Paris (6 nights) and London (5 nights). There is more than enough to keep you occupied in the cities and vicinities.

Take www.eurostar.com between cities. Also check the fare at www.raileurope.com.

If it is possible, I suggest that you fly into London and out of Paris. (Makes it easier to get acclimated).

You might want to purchse about 50 GBP and 50 Euro at your departure airport, so that you will have some cash on hand when you arrive.

Otherwise, charge everything possible (in the local currency) and get cash from ATMs.

These threads will help you for Paris:
Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...=2&tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34712768

Kerouac’s Ethnic Walk
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35095155

Jacquemart-André Museum
http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com/en/jacquemart/

www.ratp.fr will give you directions for buses and the metro in Paris.

In Paris, we always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From about 120E sngl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search the forum" box.

Enjoy your visit.