Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip from Paris (London or Brussels)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looking for a little help making a decision on whether to see London or Brussels.

My wife and I are going to be in Paris for 7 nights in April (4/12 - 4/19). We arrive on a Thurday morning and depart the following Thursday.

My wife has been to Europe previously and has been to both London and Brussels. I'm a first timer with regards to Europe.

I want to take one day and travel by train to either London or Brussels (just for a change of pace) becuase we're not sure when we will get back to Europe.

So, which one should I see...London or Brussels (I'm leaning towrds London at this point)? Also, which day of the week would be the best to spend in either London or Brussels?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

Mike
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM

I'd vote for London. Brussels is a beautiful city, but for history and culture, it doesn't hold a candle to London.

But don't overlook the possibility of booking the return via Brussels (maybe just spend an afternoon seeing the highlights - and sampling a few of the thousand beers they make there).

Weekends are the liveliest, and (I think) the most favorable Eurostar fares apply.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM
ira

Hi Mike,

With only 7 nights, I suggest that you wait until Paris begins to pall before you decide that you need to get away.

I don't think that either B or L are going to be much of a change of pace from Paris.

If you want to get out of France, Bruges is an interesting town; as are Auxerre, Dijon, Troyes, Chartres.....

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally don't think you will want to do either once you are in Paris.

LOTS of people do day trips from London to Paris or Paris to London -- but they are very expensive for the limited time you get in the other city.

A day trip to Paris might make some sense since it is a comparatively compact city. But a day trip to London - not so much. London is HUGE and just to get a small taste of things is very hard. If you want a change of pace - take a day trip to Chartres or Giverney.

(And this is from a member of the minority here who actually prefers London to Paris -- though I do love both. But for a one-only visit for me it would be London over Paris. That is just to give you perspective - I LOVE London but would not spend the time/money to do it as a day trip from Paris)
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:34 AM

A trip to Brussels will be faster (only 1.5 hours with no check-in period...you just have to jump on the train 30 seconds before it leaves) and usually cheaper. So you could make a shorter day trip to Brussels if you opt to go. But with seven days, I suggest you stick to Paris and possibly do a day trip to another French town...Versailles, Angers, etc. A day trip to London is of course possible, I've done many day trips to Paris from Brussels and London, but it is a long day and you have to decide either to skim the surface or focus your visit on just one or two things.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 04:53 PM
nbujic

hi,
why not take a train to Rouen ( one hour) or Blois ( an hour and half) see more of France and have a relaxing time.

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 08:56 PM

If you don't want to see more of France which is possible then I suggest visiting Brussels instead of London. The travel time is really fast and you will be back in Paris by nighttime so it makes a nice daytrip.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 01:37 AM

I agree with the others that you'll probably have plenty to see and enjoy in Paris (and remember your 7days need to include travel time from/to the airport).
Having said that, if you're determined to do a day trip in either London or Brussels, Brussels is definitely a shorter travel. Like the Saturday antique market in Brussels. Also if you like Art Nouveau styles, Horta Museum is good though you need to check their hours.
London is much longer train ride, 2.5hrs plus half an hour or so for check-in. I would recommend you avoid travelling on Friday or Sunday because of lots of people travelling over the weekend for commuting/weekend trips.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Going to another capital city won't really give a "change of pace". If you have to go to London or Brussels, then Belgium will be quicker and cheaper, but you should consider Brugge or another small city which will be different from Paris. In the time it takes to go to London, you could visit any number of French towns and cities - even Marseille is only three hours by TGV. Rouen or Bayeux, for example, make an easy day trip from Paris by train.