Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place to exchange US dollars into Euros in Rome?

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 03:52 PM
HBS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving for Rome in a few days and was wondering where I should go to exchange my money to get the best rate. Thanks!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 03:59 PM

You can read numerous posts about this, but plan on using an ATM machine rather than exchanging dollars, because your rate will be much better.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM

No exchanging is necessary. You use your credit cards for all large charges and pull walking around money with your ATM card.

This will save you at least 5% - and perhaps more - and be much more convenient - than changing either cash or Trav Checks.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
P_M

HBS, there are 10 trillion threads about this issue and the answer is always the same. Do not exchange money, use the ATM. Period.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
maybe more than 10 trillion

HBS: Put all that cash back in to your checking account and use your ATM card to get any cash you need in Rome.

The regular mantra - 4 digit PIN, all numeric/no alpha PINs, call your bank and credit card issuers and tell them you are traveling to Italy. There, that will save you looking up those 10 trillion other threads . . .
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:35 AM
ira

Hi H,

I also suggest that you and your traveling companion each have an ATM card.

Bring Traveler's Checks in US dollars for emergency backup. Deposit them in your account when you return home.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Use your credit card for food/lodging/rental car, entrance fees, and the like. Use your ATM card linked to your checking account to get cash for incidental purchases such as wine/beer/gelato and the like. We usually take a couple hundred $$ in cash and end up bringing it all back home with the exception of buying a couple of drinks on the airplane.

I'm not sure if DCC has hit the Rome area like it has other areas in Europe. DCC stands for Dynamic Currency Conversion in which merchants exchange your Euro purchases into $$$. While they think they are doing you a favor, this conversion will cost you an additional 3% for the purchase, in addition to what M/C, VISA, or your credit card company fees are.

If your receipt shows a $$$ amount, tell the merchant that you want to be charged in Euro. They are supposed to offer you the option.

Here's a link to DCC, or you can do a google search on dynamic currency conversion to get more information. http://www.travelfinances.com/blog/i...ersion-dcc/((b))
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:18 AM

One other thing-when you are at an ATM make sure that you don't hop on a bus/underground right away as I have had "seasoned friends" who travel to Rome everyweek get their purses sliced without even knowing about it until later on.I travel to Rome quite frequently every month and although it is like any other big city I would encourage you to be aware of who is around you or watching you from afar when you are getting money out of ATMs.I personally pay for everything (whether its work or pleasure trip) in cash as the extra money you are paying on conversion for credit cards is getting ridiculous.Rome will be quite magical at this time of the year with the creche scene in St. Peter's and the one inside of the Pantheon.Have a great holiday trip!