Search

paris-london-brussels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paris-london-brussels

Hi,
I am flying in and out of paris for 8 nights. I would like to go to london and brussels for a couple of days in between? is this doable? and if so what is the cheapes way to do it? should I get my train(or airline) tickets in US? and how? does it make a difference if i go to london or brussesl first after getting to paris?

Please do not refer me to prior discussions on the board. I looked through as many as I could and didn't find the answers to these questions thus my reason for starting my own thread. I am going to Europe for the first time.

again, I will get to paris on a sat and will be flying out of paris the following sunday.
thanks everyone
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:41 AM
yk

Paris <-> London : www.Eurostar.com
Paris <-> Brussels: www.tgv-europe.com or www.voyages-sncf.com

8 days is not much for a first time visit to Paris + one other destination. Paris + London + Brussels is a bit much.

Are your flight tickets booked already? It would save you time and money if you fly into one city and out another (eg, fly into Paris, out of London).
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 09:01 AM

I would also recommend dropping Brussels for such a short trip. Actually, I would stay in Paris/France the whole time but I understand the temptation to try to do more. You will eat up a lot of your 7 1/2 days with travel from and back to Paris unless you can fly into Paris and out of London as yk suggests.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Brussels can be done as a day-trip or overnight trip, but I wouldn't combine Paris/London in one week as EACH demands that much time. I can't imagine trying to see London in a day or two, unless you've already been there before and just want to catch a special exhibit or concert.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
ira

Hey So,

You have 8 nights and you want to spend 2 in London and 2 in Brussels.

I suggest that you just stay in Paris this visit.

However, if you get very bored, I suggest 4 nights in London and skip Brussels.

Old Jul 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM

For such a short time, I'd recommend just staying in Paris. However, if you're really set on seeing another country then I'd recommend Eurostar to London for a day or two. If booking a few months in advance, tickets can be as low as £59.

However, since this is your first time to Europe I'd recommend staying in Paris and taking some daytrips in France. There's Versailles, Chantilly and my favorite Chartres all easily accessible by Frances clean and efficient train system(nothing like Amtrak).

Save London for another trip.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Those 3 cities in so few days is way too much. I've done London, Amsterdam and Paris - but it was 16 days - not the 7 days on the ground that you have. If you want a brief taste of London organize a Eurostar ticket with one or two nights in London - but really you'll still be scratching the surface of Paris in the time you have.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cheapest way from Paris to London will be by Eurostar, but only if you book as far ahead as possible. I think you can book 3 months ahead so as soon as your dates are available, jump onto the Eurostar website.

I would also not really recommend 3 major cities in such a short time but if you decide to do this, the Thalys is the quickest train between Paris and Brussels and the same rules apply, get in early and save.

Without looking it up, the travel time Paris to London is about 2.5 hours and the same, or less, between Paris and Brussels. You could leave very early and come back very late for a day trip. Another idea is a triangular trip - Paris to London to Brussels then back to Paris. But I think you will pay more in train fares.

An excellent website for general train advice www.seat61.com

Kay
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Paris to Brussels is takes 1 hr 22 mins, much shorter than London to either.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Hi Solo -

Of course you're the best judge of what's enjoyable to you and just how ambitious you want to be during your trip, but my recommendation is that you spend your first 3 nights in Paris, then take the Eurostar train to London for 4 nights, and then take the train back to Paris the day before you leave so that you can make sure that you're in Paris for your flight home. The train from Paris to London only takes 2 1/2 hours and you'll get to see some of the lovely French and English countryside. So, I think you should save Brussels for another trip. Hope that helps, and bon voyage!!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hi again,

I forgot to add that you do want to check the Eurotrain schedule and decide which trains you want to take and book your tickets fairly soon so that you can make sure that you get a seat on the exact trains that you want. I waited too long to book my ticket and ended up having to take an earlier train than I wanted because the later train was full.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Don't expect to see much "lovely French and English countryside" if you decide to take the Eurostar. The route through the flat northern French plains in particular is about as bland, from a scenery point of view, as it's possible to be on a train journey. The UK bit passes through the scrag end of SE London and some unremarkable Kent countryside puntuated by industrial sites. In any case the sheer speed of the train mean that the odd scenic village or church tower passes by in the blink of an eye. The Eurostar is fast and convenient but as a vehicle for sightseeing its next to useless.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; As yk suggested, if you could fly into London and out of Paris that works. Stay in each city for four nights. If plane tickets are already booked, consider going to Brussels from the Paris airport for two nights. Less time on the train. You could take a day trip to Ghent. http://wikipedia.org/wiki/ghent Train back to Paris for the remaining six nights. Dick
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Solo -
Gordon is doing you a major diservice by trying to convince you not to take the Eurostar train just because he didn't personally enjoy the scenery because the main reason to take the train is because it is "fast and convenient". To each his/her own about what constitutes "bland", unremarkable", or "scrag", but as a first time visitor to France and England, I found the added bonus of the scenery quite enjoyable.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The reason to take the Eurostar is because it is fast, convenient, and much easier than schlepping to/from LHR/CDG. It is not due to any scenery one hopes to see.

The scenery is very bland (almost ugly) on the French side and one only gets a small glimpse of Kentish countryside w/ - if you look quick since you are flying past at VERY high speed - maybe an conical oasthouse chimney or two in the distance. You do not see any water or any other pretty bits.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:19 AM

It's time to let it go about the scenery all ready. I feel sorry for anyone who is so jaded that they can't appreciate the simple pleasure of seeing as much of a country as possible while traveling.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:21 AM

I take exception with Janis about the almost ugly scenery - to me the French part is the quintessential French countryside - verdant farms punctuated by numerous small villages, each with a soaring church steeple protruding from it. How anyone can call that almost ugly is beyond my belief - this is the typical French countryside!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I take exception with Janis about the almost ugly scenery -</i>"

hmmm -- Gordon_R said it first but you only object to me saying it -- very interesting . . .

Oh - I get it now
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM

no janis dear - i only read your post and commented on that - i disagree that bland is ugly - it is typical French countryside and i find that rather pleasant.

BTW why are you copying Gordon - nearly a paste and cut it seems?
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM

folks who have traveled a lot throughout France could well label the scenery the Chunnel train slices thru 'ugly' but if you put yourself in the seat of a first-time traveler to France then i think they would think that the scenery was nice and that's what i am basing my observation on about the scenery being typical of France and that a first-time traveler may not consider it ugly at all - and i do not myself, after having traveled this line dozens of times now. Beauty and ugliness are indeed in the eye of the beholder it seems. Anyway by flying you see none of France - one reason for taking the train IMO is that you do see a bit of England and France - better than to see nothing but airports by flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -