Search

London & Paris please help to plan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London & Paris please help to plan

Hi, everybody
I always wanted to go to Europe. I just got the opportunity and booked a trip to London in late September for my hubby and me. SUPER EXITED!!! Now there is a dilemma how to plan every day. There will be 12 full days and night not counting the travelling. Could you please help to plan these days, I wanted to go to some side trips for nearby regions, 1 days or overnight from London and Paris, maybe also Brussels for a day (if it is enough?). Best places to stay, places to do some sidetrips, and what clothes to take.
Could you please give me some pointers?
Thanks much in advance!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM

what are your interests??? You need to give some pointers.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Make a list of things that you don't want to miss and go from there. Start reading trip reports on this site to get some ideas. Then you can get more specific help from everyone.

One recommendation--don't try to do it all unless that's the way you operate. I've always found that if I try to do EVERYTHING, I don't have as good a time as taking some things in depth.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM

Neither Paris nor Brussels is a sensible day trip from London. I fyou want to see some of Paris fly into London, spend 6 days, hop a train to Paris, spend the rest of your days there and fly back (no need to waste time returning to London). Paris has at least a much to see as London and one day is really a waste unless you are just checking off names on a list. If you must see Brussels it is a busy but doable day trip from Paris.

Agree that it would help if you tell us what your interests are - it;'s easier to focus when we have somme clue as to what matters most to you.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thak you for your replies!
Just to clarify. I wanted to spend 6 day in London/nearby cities, 5 days in Paris/Versaille/nearby cities, 1 day in Brussels. I am mostly interested in historic architecture, not operas & museums. Is it duable?
I found Bath & Windsor so far in England is amazing to visit. What else am I missing? Any advise will be appretiated!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:32 AM

I know its tempting to try to do all sorts of day trips from London and Paris but limit it to 1 day trip from each with the time you have. There is so much to see in London and Paris that you will not run out of things to do - and you dont want to spend all your time doing day trips and not actually seeing London and Paris. (Versaille is a day trip from Paris and Windsor and Bath are both each day trips so pick one).

Any particular reason for Brussels? I found it underwhelming other than the beautiful square, and think the things in London and Paris are much more interesting than heading to Brussels for the day...
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 07:52 AM

If I understand you correctly, you will have 6 days in London and 6 days in Paris. Brussels, as jamikins points out, is really NOT worth the expense and time to travel to for just one day.

If you plan on taking the Eurostar from London to Paris (and why not?), book 120 days in advance for best prices:

www.tgv-europe.com

September is peak hotel season in Paris so for the widest selection in hotels, book as early as possible.

There are a host of excellent day trips from Paris to nearby points of interest: Chartres, Versailles, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Chantilly, Fontainebleau, Château de Vincennes, Giverny, or Auvers-sur-Oise.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

After reading all your replies I am starting to think to maybe just stick with one country - England, and travel within: to Bath, Windsor, York, Canterbury, Oxford maybe Scotland. I am looking for quant, full of history towns rather that biger and modern ones. What are your suggestions for the choice of cities? I appretiate any input from you such freindly members