Switzerland Itinerary

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland Itinerary

My wife and I are traveling to Switzerland 06 Jun - 03 Jul 2006. We are going to buy a 22 day Swiss Pass and Zurich is our arrival and departure airport. We would like to set up some bases around the country to eliminate packing and unpacking then day-trip it. We've been to Lugano/Locarno so would prefer not to visit there this time. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Hi Vanman,

O goodness! So many days to enjoy Switzerland! What a treat!

Well for me, the obvious starting point is to spend time in a few diverse sections: the Engadin, the Berner Oberland, Luzern, Brig, the Lake Geneva area, and the city of Basel. These have become my favorites after a number of trips. Try doing a search here to see if our remarks on these places interest you.

Since you have so much time, you may want to investigate the Untours program (www.untours.com). They rent apartments and then provide services like maps, excursion suggestions, airport meeting, etc. I think the minimum rental time is two weeks.

Good luck!

s
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Switzerland is an easy country to tour, either by car or by train. I use both methods depending on where I am going and what I want to see.

We found a good apartment to rent in 1998 when we visited Lauterbrunnen. That has become our home away from home ever since during part of the time we are in Switzerland.

This past year was no exception. We were there for 7 nights before coming home. This year we had a car and used it to good advantage because we wanted to go to places like the Grimsel Pass, Brienz, Kiental, the Rhone Valley, and Schaffhausen.

Last year, we did not get a car because we concentrated mainly on riding the cable systems higher into the mountains.

So I think it all depends on what you want to see, when you want to see it, and how long you want to spend in each place.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

I hadn't thought of an apartment; I'll try the web site.

Thanks
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:49 AM

Here's a link to apartments/hotels in Grindelwald. We're taking a 1-week rental Apt. in a chalet in late May and just taking day trips throughout the area.

http://www.grindelwald.com/summer-uk.php?frameset=25
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

We won't want to stay in one place more than 7 days and that would be in the B.O. area sounds like an apt might work there.
How about some other bases Bern, Lausanne, St Moritz area, St. Gallen area; we are going ot be there for 3 weeks and we want to savor as much as possible without killing our selves.

In the general areas for a base, any other locals to stay for 3-4 days each?

I am getting some other ideas from other postings which raises another question; now is not too early to start selcting lodging and making reservations 09 Jun - 02 Jul?
Thanks.